Bearospace Sloop EMMA - Page 4 - RC Groups
Dec 27, 2017, 01:27 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Hi all.

I've added these beautiful designs here : http://www.allradiosailboats.com/designer/garyWebb

Do you know about any other designs by Gary Webb?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2017, 02:57 PM
Thanks Thomas..
Those are the only two designs he has offered plans for. Both have variations in his own personal fleet, the plans representing the current version . We can only hope that he'll add to the range but it is a big task to do even one plan package.
Dec 28, 2017, 10:50 PM

Plan printing

While plan printing is under current discussion on the Irene thread I thought I’d add this in.

Needing a couple of copies of page 11 of Gary’s Emma plans I head doff to where I had them done before, but the store was closed for holidays. Fair enough. A few doors away is Officeworks (Australia) who I knew did general copying. Turns out they also do the A0 format which the Emma drawings will fit nicely into. They use 80 gsm paper which is durable enough to last the project through.

I got 2 perfect (100% to scale) copies done for a total of $9.

Why two copies? Well, I find tracing outlines from the plan onto pine ply using carbon paper a little indistinct for me. So one sheet will have everything cut out approx. to the outside of the line with an additional margin, then lightly tacked (not stuck) to the ply just enough to allow precise cutting and sanding. I found it wise not to use a strong adhesive as some, if not water soluble, hard to remove from the finished hull section component and ply is best not wetted, ever, unless on purpose (like sealing).

Note: the Irene plan is a tad too large across the page for A0, but I had it done and just added the missing bits off the bow and stern of the deck and main strakes. Finished boat looks just like any other!

How are others doing it?
Dec 31, 2017, 07:10 PM
Hi guys,

The schooner ‘Irene’ caught my eye very early in its’ blog on RCGroups. Not being one to rush into things, I watched the progress of glidin’n’slidin’ for a while so that he could have a chance to find the pitfalls etc. of the build. In June 2016 I bought the plans for ‘Irene’ and in December of the same year I bought the plans for ‘Emma’.

Did I mention that I am not one to rush into things? Well I am. No snide comments from ‘gp.’ thanks. I’ve decided that it is about time that I started building. I have a plan of attack devised. It runs as thus:

1. Clear a path through my shed so that I can get to the workbench. (shut up gp.)
2. Clean up the workbench so that I have room to build.
3. Build ‘Emma’ as a work-up.
4. Build ‘Irene’.
5. Travel to Bendigo to skirmish with robcrusoe and Crossbones06589 for the inaugural Aussie Title. I already have the apparently obligatory beard prepared.
6. Make sure that the inaugural Aussie Title is not scheduled too soon. Ref ‘Not being one to rush into things’. Did I mention that I also have about 7 or 8 A Class yachts to restore? Can I have a year or two warning on the race schedule please?

It’s only a seven hour drive to Bendigo. Unless I go via Melbourne, because I’ve always wanted to visit Adrian Brewer at Float a Boat.

Cheers,

Terry Smith

I am retired.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it.
Why don't I have any spare time?
Dec 31, 2017, 07:20 PM
Hey Terry

Hope you post photos of your build ...

Would also be nice to see you start a separate forum blog for the "A Class Yacht Restoration" you mentioned - especially since you said you were RETIRED
Dec 31, 2017, 07:48 PM
Good one Terry..
I've never let an untidy shed get between me and a project. But there comes a time when even I see it as a mess. So then I spend hours sorting, discarding and generally wondering where the heck all the binned stuff came from.
Hopefully a few long "lost" items come to light But some never do, a Black Hole in there somewhere?

But having been down this path, and over the piles of stuff, I've come to a conclusion.

While the shed remains in a high degree of disorder, I usually know where I've put (not placed) everything lately. Post cleanup then brings about another problem, where the heck did I store those items where I would always be able to find it?

Cb and I will welcome a day of competition between your boat/s and ours. Don't worry about our own competition, we'll make up a new one to mark the occasion and may even include a rule or two, for a change.. Bear in mind though, the visitor supplies the beer.

As far as you taking so long to build boats, I know of only one other guy, and he's from W.A.' who has boats that have not yet been unpacked even, some half a decade or more old.
I used to have a buying problem like he still does, we call it the BBS.. Buy Button Syndrome. Like many pleasures it starts out as once in awhile, then becomes hopelessly addicted.
There is no known cure, even admitting to it doesn't alter the condition.

And as for

I
Quote:
I am retired.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it.
Why don't I have any spare time?
Having had a decade to ponder on what you are saying I've redefined the term "retirement " as follows..

We leave work
We idle about
We sleep

They say to sleep , you retire

Works both ways, with age.

Sorry, must go, time for a nap.
Last edited by robcrusoe; Dec 31, 2017 at 08:31 PM.
Dec 31, 2017, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the mention.

Terry, just before I retired I asked a few retirees what they did with all there spare time, the answer was we have less spare time than when we were at work. Not having a deadline to do a task just means there can be lots of planning, well that's what I tell the wife.
Last edited by tugboat2011; Dec 31, 2017 at 08:30 PM.
Jan 03, 2018, 05:07 AM
gp.
gp.
gp
Hey Terry, have trailer; can clear shed quickly.
Jan 03, 2018, 04:47 PM
Hi GramPa,

if you mean your teardrop caravan...................you're dreaming.
Jan 08, 2018, 06:55 PM
Day: 6

Location: S 35.12 E 138.51 Deliberately concealed exact location in case of North Korean nukes.

Activity: Establish base camp.
Establish Occupational Health and Safety protocols.
Map known areas of shed.
Going in for scouting run. Hopefully I'll get back.
Jan 11, 2018, 03:45 PM

Life after Emma (and Irene)

My Anna sloop has only had one good sailing session with her girlfriend, Nell, both built concurrently and almost identical except for some person touches of either skipper. The goal is to be able to match race these two and yet keep them totally as per Gary’s plan. And so, they will be. Just waiting for CB to get back from holidays.
In the meantime, I’ve gone ahead (while I remember everything I just did, or wanted to) and am well into another Emma, pre-named Maxine. Maxine as in Maxi.
Why another one? Good question and my wife asked the same. Simply, what to do next with what I've enjoyed, and learned, from building the other two.
While building Molly G schooner and Anna sloop I sometimes wondered if doing this or that differently might be interesting, but with both those boats I would never change anything (well, maybe a little here and there). I would never change anything major in the Irene, even the sail material.

So, Maxine is being constructed using a combination of some of the Irene features and many modifications of my own.
She is to be used mainly in lighter conditions where the sloops are showing only reasonable performance (as compared with an Irene) but that was not really a surprise. The Emma looks to be capable of taking a good bit of wind under her skirts, but I haven’t had the opportunity to find out, yet.

Rather than list my grand plan (some things will NOT work out, that’s normal for me) I’ll just do an overview build, here, as I go. I’ll also be upfront on things I went about the wrong way, also typical of my way of doing things, I’m afraid.
Jan 11, 2018, 03:47 PM
Here’s where she is at right now. To anyone familiar with an Emma two thing s will b noticeable. Firs the it appears to have a drum winch setup as in Irene, and yes, it does. The reason for that is to do away with the swing arm/traveler setup and provide possible full 90-degree boom travel. More n the why of that as I do it.
There is a timber ledge (or sill) around the perimeter, between the deck support blocks. I’m mentioned than on the Irene thread, it is to allow a removable deck and prevent any water ingress to the hull. More detail to follow.

And yes, as Crossbones has pointed out, where is the fin box? Answer: Coming up next. But you may well wonder why the inner hull is painted when there is still some gluing to b done. In a word, Oops! I found paining internally after everything was fitted, rather difficult, and so decided this time to do it BEFORE anything was fitted, other than the bulkheads and hull strakes.
Jan 14, 2018, 01:48 PM

Building the Emma RC Sailboat

Would like to know more about gluing & sealing the joints of the side panels and bottom. Am I correct in assuming that you use slow or medium cure epoxy to first glue them together then after it cures use the Sikaflex sealer? Sika makes a variety of products, which one do you use? Sikaflex sealer will cure over the epoxy? What product do you use the water proof the inside of the boat? Will be ordering plans soon.
Jan 14, 2018, 09:27 PM

Just my experience

Only having access to small town shopping, my Irene was glued with
30 minute and 5 minute epoxies,
Titebond wood glue,
Super glue (Cyanoacrylate),
PC-7 epoxy paste,
and she's strong and watertight.
I really like the PC-7. Lots of working time. Moldable with gloved fingers or wooden scrapers wetted with denatured alcohol. Sands and grinds easily. Fills gaps nicely.
I find epoxy frustrating when it's wet, sticky, or gummy and when it clogs tools and sandpaper.
I thought a beauty of these designs is their quick and easy construction. A 1/8-inch gap 6 inches long in a chine isn't a problem. The epoxy paste filler is stronger than the wood.
It's a shame I didn't learn to apply the epoxy paste neatly as in Gary's video. While mine are functional they are rough and gobby. A half hour playing with it would have shown me how to make smoothly rounded fillets.
Yours truly, Paul
Last edited by g'n's; Jan 16, 2018 at 12:23 AM.
Jan 15, 2018, 07:30 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Building "Emma"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensackro
Would like to know more about gluing & sealing the joints of the side panels and bottom. Am I correct in assuming that you use slow or medium cure epoxy to first glue them together then after it cures use the Sikaflex sealer? Sika makes a variety of products, which one do you use? Sikaflex sealer will cure over the epoxy? What product do you use the water proof the inside of the boat? Will be ordering plans soon.
I use CA and 5 min epoxy to tack things together, then use epoxy "filler" to form fillets which seal the joints and bond the pieces together.
The result is very strong and watertight, and as glidin'n'slidin' pointed out, the epoxy fillet can make up for less than perfect fits.
I waterproof the inside (as well as the outside) with penetrating (very thin) epoxy sealer followed by a paint job.
More details of all this are included in Emma's plans, and an example of the technique can be seen in the Schooner Irene Build video on youtube.
Cheers Everybody, Gary

Quick Reply