View Poll Results: How often do you sail?
Weekly 7 36.84%
Average once a month 5 26.32%
Occasionally 3 15.79%
Rarely 3 15.79%
Can't wait to start 1 5.26%
Probably never 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Aug 22, 2019, 07:39 AM

Laser ply

I live and learn Thayer, thank you
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2019, 08:00 PM
Kernow: After all the kudos I given the Baltic birch ply, and rightly so it’s wonderful ply. I wound up purchasing a 4x8x foot piece of 1/8” wall paneling for $21.00 only because I got more bang for the buck and also great material.

Lazer cutting? That’s the kind of stuff they do in the BIG city. �� Smile....
Last edited by The Paparazzi; Aug 22, 2019 at 08:14 PM.
Aug 23, 2019, 03:40 AM

Birch plywood

Standard thickness for general purpose plywood in the UK seems to be 3.6mm, just too thick for my liking. All bulkheads and fin trunk cut
Paparazzi, we donít have ANY big cities here in Cornwall!
Aug 23, 2019, 10:28 AM

competitive yachts

Ah but their owners don't have the satisfaction of scratch built.
Aug 23, 2019, 02:21 PM

3.6 ply v birch ply

[QUOTE=kernow;42581335]Standard thickness for general purpose plywood in the UK seems to be 3.6mm, just too thick for my liking. All bulkheads and fin trunk cut

3.6 ply does fine. 1/16th birch ply is good but expensive.
Before cutting the bottom skins lay card over the area to be covered and you will be less likely to find gaps appearing . don't ask how i know!

All the best with the build.
Bob
Sep 04, 2019, 03:17 AM

Nice day

I had a lovely day sailing and talking to likeminded people. Wind was light but boat coped well. Got many compliments about how well she sailed and looked real
Sep 04, 2019, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Got many compliments
and rightly so... love your top sail color.
Sep 06, 2019, 03:52 AM

Top sail

Thank you but I have to say it was taken from a boat here in Cornwall, down here the classic working boat meet regularly to race and I saw this one getting set up in Portscatho.
Sep 06, 2019, 03:59 AM

Top sail

Found the picture of the actual boat
Sep 06, 2019, 10:20 PM
Recent Convert

Build progress

Hi All,

its Been a while and I have been a bit slack in taking/ posting progress photos as been busy with work , but here are some , she is almost complete just needing rudder and keel made and the its on to sewing up a suite of sails

the handrails and hatch runners are not quite finished yet , need a coat or two of varnish. I have gone for the rich mans toy look with lots of polished brass and white glossy paint, not quite period correct in the turnbuckles but i got them off my partners dad who used to build RC Aircraft 20 or more years ago and couldn't resist using them instead of pelican hooks. still trying to come up with a name for her. my other boat is named 'Ketty Jay 'after the airship in the books by Chris Wooding but the other main airship in the series is called 'Delirium Trigger' which dosen't quite suit her .
Sep 17, 2019, 12:05 PM
Hi Folks: I’m coming the point of attaching my deck to my Emma, and have questions pertaining to time taking to do the deed and what type of adhesive? I’ve been using the standard CA and 5 minute epoxy and have used these products for years. This deck attachment will be a one man process for me so I thought I’d look into the 15minute epoxy for and extended period of set up time, and I found that 15 minutes stated by the manufacture is not 15 min but more like 5 to 7 minutes? Maybe? Hummmm! Any advice other than work faster. Smile. Perhaps another adhesive? Then again maybe I’m making a mountain out of a mole hill.... any advice?
Sep 17, 2019, 02:24 PM

deck attachment

Hi, Before attaching deck have you done a leak check on the hull? You don't need to have the keel attached but you will need a deep enough bath to force the hull down till the water almost reaches the keel sleeve or you could tape over the top gap. Applying lots of pressure far more than the hull will normally experience will show up any pin holes.
Some of us screwed down the deck then sealed any gaps with silicone sealant.
looking forward to the launch
regards
Bob
Sep 17, 2019, 04:09 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Yes, something like that, no need to make this an over concerned effort as the fit is more desirable than the strength and durability of adhesive. As OBH has advised, making the deck removable (but I can assure you, even that takes a bit of effort if and when necessary) is a wise precaution. for me, it is essential as I intend to give my boats each an occasional makeover from the deck upwards. I'm always wary of silicone as it is a bugger if it gets on to some places where you may yet need to paint, maybe even a touch-up. silicone leaves a blemish that, by its design, will not normally permit finish adhesion. there are paint-able silicone, but why bother? a cheap, water-based gap sealer is available in a range of colors and when applied if too much, is also so good an adhesive you'll have trouble getting the deck away at all.
So the key point to aim for is a minimal gap,like 1 or 2 mm and just enough filler, like 2 -3mm thick. If you use clamps as it sets (24 hours) you can leave the screws off altogether, but a few are good insurance and look Ok. (small ones, that it, ).
Sep 17, 2019, 09:16 PM
Not to be silly about the possible obvious ...

“Make sure you SEAL / PAINT the DECK-UNDERSIDE ... before you attack deck” ...

If you don’t ... any trapped moisture during sailing events will likely rot or wrap the deck ... and you will have a new re-decking project in your future.
Sep 18, 2019, 12:04 AM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Totally agree, you'd think the inside of the hull is always moisture free, but that stuff is insidious as well as invisible.

Even if it doesn't get to rot and distortion you may find that the other surfaces produce slightly raised lines, I assume the moisture has caused the more porous timber streaks to swell under the paint. It doesn't show itself for quite some time though, if it exists, that is.

Here's an example, not from a boat, but just to illustrate what the problem shows up like.

Quick Reply