Bearospace Sloop EMMA - Page 3 - RC Groups
Dec 05, 2017, 01:17 AM

Bulb casting time

As CB has reported, I'm about to cast a bulb for each of our Emmas.
I'm doing it the Irene method, which how I've been doing it the past two years, but casting two halves that will be fixed both sides of the keel and secured with screws or thin bolts.

In our eagerness to cut out the two keel both CB and I forgot that we were going to widen the foot of the keel somewhat like an Irene to facilitate the fixing of these two halves. It wont really matter but we would have preferred some more area to attach it to.

Anyway, today I made up a slug (3D pattern) out of scrap balsa. Balsa because it is easy to build up with and shape. I just keep super gluing any thickness together, rather roughly, until, with sanding, it takes on the desired shape. I fill in any spaces with more slivers of balsa until it's reasonable smooth. I few imperfections is not an issue as the final cast lead will be "finished" off anyway.
The completed slug is going to be surely a bit oversized that is by design since it's easier to remove excess lead off the flat sides.
It measures 180 x 50 x60 mm
Will lbe interesting to see how our math worked out on the first half casting.
I will be doing the casting solo, simply so I can keep my attention focused on the job and stay out of trouble. All safety gear will be employed.
As Gary says, it is very hazardous stuff. If you are unsure, don't even attempt it, there are other ways of doing it without casting.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2017, 01:24 PM

Drilling blocks

I've made the blocks from brush handle wood as in Gary's video.
The drill size is tiny and I found that a 1 inch piece of stainless 1/32" wire made a good drill bit using the snipped end.
For the wire strap I'm using the multi-strand stainless steel leader material from Eagle Claw fishing tackle Heavy Duty Leaders 45 pound. It has worked fine on my other blocks.
Dec 07, 2017, 01:18 PM

A British Emma On The Stocks.

Hello all you Emma builders.
I've just started on a build of this lovely little boat-I cut out the bulkheads this week.
Any advice for a beginner would be very welcome !
Dec 11, 2017, 12:17 AM
sailtails - YouTube

New Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango22
Hello all you Emma builders.
I've just started on a build of this lovely little boat-I cut out the bulkheads this week.
Any advice for a beginner would be very welcome !
Hi Tango22,
Happy to know you have started building. If you come up with questions, post them here and you are bound to receive advice. The crowd here on the forum has been a great bunch. We'd love to see some photos as your project moves along.
Cheers, Gary
Yesterday, 11:58 AM

New Build

Thanks, Gary - I'll keep in touch.