View Poll Results: How often do you sail?
Weekly 7 36.84%
Average once a month 5 26.32%
Occasionally 3 15.79%
Rarely 3 15.79%
Can't wait to start 1 5.26%
Probably never 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Feb 13, 2019, 10:04 AM

First Sailing

Finally the weather has changed here and I was able to put the boat on the water.
Alright the wind wasn't perfect, is it ever, but we managed to get a shakedown sail in. The sails need some tweaking and I need to get that Topsail done for light winds but all in all it was good
Last edited by kernow; Feb 13, 2019 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Incorrect file
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2019, 10:06 AM
I have a video of the boat but got no idea how to upload to the RC Groups
Feb 13, 2019, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernow
I have a video of the boat but got no idea how to upload to the RC Groups
Upload to YouTube, then copy/paste the link here in this thread.
Feb 14, 2019, 11:35 AM
Thanks Zbip57. Should have the video up and running now.
Feb 14, 2019, 11:36 AM
On the water at last. Link to video here -

Keroloju (1 min 20 sec)
Feb 14, 2019, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernow
On the water at last.
Excellent! Nice colour scheme, and she sails well.
Feb 14, 2019, 03:08 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Well done K, YouTube is the way to go.

Congrats on breaking the video "ice", so to speak.
Feb 21, 2019, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=kernow;41174687]On the water at last.
-
WONDERFULL and were do you come from?
Feb 21, 2019, 01:18 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=302
Feb 22, 2019, 07:27 AM

Where am I from

Hello Manta 741 I hail from the South West tip of the UK, Cornwall. I might be biased but it is a lovely place to live.
Last edited by kernow; Feb 22, 2019 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Typing error
Feb 24, 2019, 04:03 PM

Sail shape

Hello Gary. We winter in Southwest Florida so it is always sailing time for me. My Emma sails great even in gusty winds and since I am a novice sailor I sure appreciate that. I do have a question on mainsail shape. It seems that the bottom of the sail holds it's shape around the boom but the top doesn't. It looks like there is a lot of air spilling out at the top, see pictures. Should my sprit be longer or my snotter knot be shorter. Or maybe something else is wrong?
Feb 24, 2019, 09:13 PM
sailtails - YouTube
Hi Stephen,
Great to hear you are sailing!
The photos show the boom (sheets) perhaps let all the way out, as would be suitable for a downwind run. It is the nature of this sprit rig that when the sheets are out, the top of the sail swings out much further than the boom does.
It's hard to tell for sure from the photos, but looking at the waves and the pennants, it appears the boat may be sailing a beam reach, that is with the wind coming directly at her starboard side, and it would help to pull the boom in tighter. This will flatten the sail some, and give her more power.
Many RC models are fitted with boom vangs to help minimize this kind of twist in the sail. Emma does not lend herself to use of a vang due to the cabin configuration, but the use of the travelers for the sheets is intended to provide an improved sheeting angle which helps somewhat.
Keep on sailing, play with the sheeting, and let us all know how it goes for you.
Your sprit is pretty close to right, if it is too loose, wrinkles will develop perpendicular to the sprit, too tight will result in wrinkles parallel to the sprit.
Cheers, Gary
Mar 02, 2019, 11:57 AM
Hi Gary, how are you?
So are you preparing us a new model can be smaller?
Mar 03, 2019, 09:07 PM
sailtails - YouTube
Hi Thibaud - Manta741 - I'm fine, thank you.
I do have thoughts for a smaller, very simple boat which would be inexpensive to build and suited to beginner builders. The idea would be to offer a starting point for first time builders, and an affordable way to create a fleet of boats for those who might have a fleet of kids or grandkids. Perhaps it could be adopted as a school shop project? So far it is only a concept in my mind, and I welcome thoughts and suggestions from others.
Also hoping to see more of your Emma sailing when springtime comes to your beautiful mountain area.
Cheers, Gary
Mar 07, 2019, 04:16 AM

A short video

A short video of a few of the steps taken to build my sloop

From Start to Finish (1 min 35 sec)

Quick Reply