View Poll Results: How often do you sail?
Weekly 7 36.84%
Average once a month 5 26.32%
Occasionally 3 15.79%
Rarely 3 15.79%
Can't wait to start 1 5.26%
Probably never 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Nov 28, 2018, 03:28 AM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
That's neat, but it isn't available for the way the Wordpress (my sites program) widget allows a link into the table.

However it is all based on csv files and these are easily imported to Excel, and edited with search and replace, then re-saved under a different file name, then imported into the WordPress widget.

But would it work? Many of my ideas don't, but this one has.

Check it out now.

Post indexer (thread Version)

Thanks Zip!

(I'll cleanup the associated posts tomorrow)
Last edited by robcrusoe; Nov 28, 2018 at 04:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2018, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrusoe
It is all based on csv files and these are easily imported to Excel, and edited with search and replace, then re-saved under a different file name, then imported into the WordPress widget.
But would it work? Many of my ideas don't, but this one has.
Post indexer (thread Version)
Excellent! Your index really is brilliant.

It makes it so easy to browse the list of items and, gee I wonder what that one was about, click the link and presto.
Dec 08, 2018, 07:07 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP

Fixed or removable deck Pt 1

To follow this article included on the Irene thread, click here CLICK
Dec 09, 2018, 06:31 AM

Fixed deck or no?

Yes it is the quiet season if you will here in the U.K, although the weather is mild at the moment and it is not looking much like a white Christmas. Still you never know
Anyway, on to the deck question. I agonized over whether to make the deck removable and in the end stuck it down after extensive leak testing. Itís been a long time since I played with a boat in my bath
I reasoned it would be fine as the only other sailboat I have made has been OK with a fixed deck.
Right now I am planking the deck, time consuming or what, but rewarding and I will post a picture when it is done.
Next will be the keel and bulb, trying to complete before Christmas and in the water before the New Year.
Dec 09, 2018, 10:41 AM

request for RobCaruso

Hi Rob Caruso!

I just recently saw your video on how to make RC sailboat blocks. I was really impressed and quickly made a few to see if I could and how they would turn out.
My request if for permission to show your link to the RC model boat club North Florida ORCAS. I also wanted to do a short written hand out with some rough drawings of the steps for the club based on your instructions and measurements in the video. Let me know your thoughts.

Respectfully,

Charlie
Dec 09, 2018, 08:13 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP

Not me this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2tiger
Hi Rob Caruso!

I just recently saw your video on how to make RC sailboat blocks. I was really impressed and quickly made a few to see if I could and how they would turn out.
My request if for permission to show your link to the RC model boat club North Florida ORCAS. I also wanted to do a short written hand out with some rough drawings of the steps for the club based on your instructions and measurements in the video. Let me know your thoughts.

Respectfully,

Charlie

Sorry Charlie, I can't help as I am not crash hot on block making and would not try to better that which is already contributed.

The only video I recall is
BLOCK MAKING

and that is courtesy of Gary. While we may be the same age, that's where the similarity ends!

There is an excellent alternative method posted by Zbip57 Step by Step blocks

I'm sure either will be happy to go along with your request. Would be really something to get a GROUP making Bearboats.
Dec 09, 2018, 10:51 PM
Quote:
I just recently saw your video on how to make RC sailboat blocks [...] My request is for permission to show your link to the RC model boat club North Florida ORCAS. I also wanted to do a short written hand out with some rough drawings of the steps for the club based on your instructions and measurements in the video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrusoe
The only video I recall is BLOCK MAKING and that is courtesy of Gary.
There is an excellent alternative method posted by Zbip57 Step by Step blocks
The YouTube video was posted by Gary Webb and, while I won't presume to speak for him, I'd guess the whole point of posting stuff on YouTube is to share it so others can see it.

Same goes for my Step by Step post linked above. Feel free to forward that link to anyone, or even print out the post and the attached photos to distribute to your model boat club. I'm happy someone else might find them useful. Send them all here to browse this Emma thread and the Irene thread, as they're full of all sorts of clever tricks and advice.

Best of all, check out the index created by robcrusoe (that he can take full credit for) as it provides shortcuts to nearly all of the gems buried in these two discussion threads.
Dec 11, 2018, 12:06 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Block making video

Quote:
Hi Rob Caruso!

Respectfully,

Charlie
Must be my video we're talking about Charlie. Absolutely feel free to share with your mates, for that is indeed my intent.
Thanks Robcrusoe and Zbip57 for stepping in in good faith as always.
Cheers, Gary
Dec 12, 2018, 08:08 AM

Nearly there

I have posted 2 pictures of the deck, first coat of stain and varnish. Another coat of varnish tomorrow.
Dec 12, 2018, 02:55 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Looking great matey, keep those photos coming.
Dec 12, 2018, 04:04 PM
Rob and Zbip,

Thanks for your help and the link. I will work with the Club to create a short presentation. I think the guys will like it.
Dec 18, 2018, 07:39 AM

Another job done

Made my keel and cast the lead yesterday. Donít think I have cast anything since I was at school aged about 14! I am in my seventies now.
It looks and feels sorta right so all I have to do now is fill gaps, sand down and paint. Should be ready for a launch after the Christmas celebrations, or maybe in the New Year
Dec 18, 2018, 02:54 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Nothing wrong with "seventies". Except when you are running out of them, maybe?

Bit of work to do on the bulb there matey.. Just watch the final weight as there is a bit to come off.
Dec 21, 2018, 07:34 AM

Almost there

I have finished the keel and apart from detail work on the deck I think I am there
I know the keel colour doesnít match the boat colour but I plead not guilty, evidence the picture showing the spray can cap colour! If it all works I will repaint it.
I have added something to the shrouds, I have serious rigging envy after seeing the schooner Irene and I had a couple of spare blocks anyway.
Finally I have got a passenger on board, tribute to Gary and his bears, and as he knows I have a history with bears. Thanks Gary.
Dec 21, 2018, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernow
I have finished the keel and apart from detail work on the deck I think I am there
She's a beauty, with nautical colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernow
I know the keel colour doesnít match the boat colour...
You'll never notice that when she's in the water.

The only time the colour choice might matter is depending on where you are sailing her.

Our deep local lake appears quite black from above. So the long black keel on my Kamanik is mostly invisible whenever sailing. But if I were to sail her in a crystal clear swimming pool, or along a beach with pure white sand bottom, then the black keel fin would be obtrusively evident.

The necessary long keel and heavy bulb is the key to how stable and well she handles under sail. Its appearance is decidedly not to scale whenever the keel is visible. But when the fin is painted to camouflage its existence while afloat, Gary's designs are admirable beauties.

Quick Reply