View Poll Results: How often do you sail?
Weekly 7 36.84%
Average once a month 5 26.32%
Occasionally 3 15.79%
Rarely 3 15.79%
Can't wait to start 1 5.26%
Probably never 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 28, 2018, 08:07 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Rudder Linkage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57
Aha!

I'm curious now though, would it still work if they were attached at that angle? It's hurting my brain trying to picture that.
Zbip57, You are quite right that the links must be parallel, accomplished by making the Tiller Arm match the Servo Arm.
If not, they will fight each other when trying to turn.
The beauty of this arrangement is that the system becomes " PULL - PULL" - Each link pulls the rudder one way, so the links can be quite light.
In fact they could be made up of twine.
Compare to a single link which must "PUSH - PULL", requiring the link to be heavy (strong) enough to resist collapse when trying to push.
Though probably not a likely fail point in the boats, I favor the (BombProof) "PULL - PULL" setup.
I love discussion of such fine points, Happy to see questions like this come up.
Cheers,Gary
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2018, 11:34 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57
Aha!

I'm curious now though, would it still work if they were attached at that angle? It's hurting my brain trying to picture that.

Hurt no longer..

It does work. It's all to do with equal amounts of give and take.

But there is no good reason in these boats to do it that way. It's the same amount of work to set up.

Easy enough to knock up a simple bench rig model of it out of scrap ply, wire and nails.
Oct 29, 2018, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrusoe

The makeup is about what you might expect although it is surprising that someone, still at the anticipation build stage, has not ticked the "Can't wait..." box.

There you go Rob, I'm a 'Can't wait . . . ' although in reality I can. I'm currently making a main sail to finish my boat but I'm a tad busy at the moment and other things keep getting in the way. The weather here in south west Turkey is still glorious and as most of the tourists have gone it's nice and quiet so tomorrow I'm going kayaking. If I get a windier day I might take my trimaran out (a kayak with outriggers and sail). While the weather is still good model boats are on the back burner. Sorry guys but that's the way it is.

I'd like to get the sail finished in the next week or so as I'm away for a lot of the next 3 months, with 3 weeks in Nepal and 4 weeks in the UK over Christmas and New Year but even if I do finish it I'm not sure when I'll be launching. Our swimming pool will be closed in the next day or so, so it'll be straight into the Mediterranean, a two minute walk from my house. That should be interesting . . .

Oct 29, 2018, 03:53 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Thanks Yambo for being the first. There must be others still anticipating the debut of their first plywood boat.

Good stats, anyway.

Oct 30, 2018, 01:57 AM
Not my first plywood boat Rob, just my first RC sailboat'. I've built 3 plywood boats, pictures below and I'll be out in the black kayak later. The white Skerry can also be sailed - even has a sprit rig and the kayak with outriggers is great fun with a bit more wind.

There's only one thing better than being a couple of miles offshore in a boat you made yourself.
Oct 30, 2018, 02:36 AM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Getting back safely ?? Maybe?
Oct 30, 2018, 02:45 AM
That's the one!
Nov 01, 2018, 10:38 AM

Posting a video

I have read up on you tube videos and think I have got the basics, but how do I post the video to this forum?
Do I have to give specific details? I am sure you will rally round as you all always do. Thanks for the support.
Nov 01, 2018, 01:10 PM

Fastening Sails

Just wondering what most people have been using to fasten the sail sheets to the mast and boom with? I have been using the Braided Nylon Mason Twine (same twine that I use when making the sail sheets) and putting a small drop of super glue on the knot to keep it from unraveling. I have tried using fly fishing line but it does not hold a knot very well. Would like to find something that holds a knot well and has a large enough diameter to make it easy to work with. Any suggestions?
Nov 01, 2018, 01:36 PM

posting videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernow
I have read up on you tube videos and think I have got the basics, but how do I post the video to this forum?
Do I have to give specific details? I am sure you will rally round as you all always do. Thanks for the support.
If you upload your video to utube then you need to copy the video link. You then insert link using the toolbar at of message box. Its the earth globe with the link below it. Clicking on the icon will open a box where you can paste your already copied link.
There is another way without uploading to utube . Simply insert tour video as an attachment (paper clip icon). However you may find that your video is too big a file. Hope this helps.
regards
Bob
Nov 01, 2018, 03:43 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensackro
Just wondering what most people have been using to fasten the sail sheets to the mast and boom with? I have been using the Braided Nylon Mason Twine (same twine that I use when making the sail sheets) and putting a small drop of super glue on the knot to keep it from unraveling. I have tried using fly fishing line but it does not hold a knot very well. Would like to find something that holds a knot well and has a large enough diameter to make it easy to work with. Any suggestions?

The best universal twine for these boats , in my opinion, is Saratoga brand 8 ply Dyneema. I use grey but it is available in black which is more like the tarred line that looks so great on rigging, but is a little less easy to use. You can usit for the winch line, the sheets and attaching sails to mast and spars, as you seek to do.

It is as cheap as chips and usually takes about 2 weeks or so from China. I say Saratoga brand as it has the most pleasing "silky" and fine woven construction. Anything from 90 lb to 130 lb will look great on these boats. The cheaper eBay sourced Dyneema is usually a courser woven 4 ply, and although OK, less desirable in appearance and looks..(see pics) Both are easy to knot, even using the one Granny was fond of.. A drop of cyno (super glue) welds the knot.
Here's a link to more details on this great product..

DYNEEMA
Nov 01, 2018, 04:33 PM

All weather sloop

All weather sloop (2 min 15 sec)

A short video showing how well Emma performs under all weathers! Even in rough weather hardly takes in a drop. Hoping for some rougher conditions to challenge it. I like the way the waves appear at the side and it courses through them.
regards
Bob
ps I also use kite dyneema but still use superglue.
Nov 02, 2018, 05:27 AM

Posting video

Thanks Bob, I will get the boat finished and hopefully put up a video for you all.
Nov 03, 2018, 03:31 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP

Poll Ending today

Actually pole ending (more commonly known as pitch poling) describes the spectacular happening when your boat, running hard before the wind, digs the bow into a wave and tries to execute a somersault, so to speak. Not good for a plywood boat, but since I've only seen Anna sloop get into one at around 18 knots (Ok Terry? ) not likely to happen very often.

But this post is really just a reminder that today in this region (tomorrow for USA etc) is the last chance to place your answer.

With 19 participants it has been an interesting reply, thanks to those who took part.
Nov 03, 2018, 04:16 PM
18 knots is good for me Cap'n Crusoe.

At our Club we reckon 13 knots to be around about when the dust starts lifting off of our entry road. Unless someone is REALLY keen on risking gear breakage, tearing sails or playing submarines, we sit back and watch the water.

'Playing submarines' is when the hull starts disappearing under water and travels thus without actually somersaulting.

Cheers,

Terry

Quick Reply