View Poll Results: How often do you sail?
Weekly 7 36.84%
Average once a month 5 26.32%
Occasionally 3 15.79%
Rarely 3 15.79%
Can't wait to start 1 5.26%
Probably never 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 12, 2018, 01:24 PM

Crew aboard

As I sail on a fishing reservoir I thought I needed a fishing crew. Should avoid tangling with sails or sheets. Still to be fixed in position
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2018, 11:41 AM

From Cornwall UK

I have posted a picture of the blocks I have made. Ready for final sanding and a coat or two of varnish.
Note these blocks are the UK specification as getting some sizes here in Imperial measurements is becoming harder!
They still work as required and are brilliant Gary.
Small jobs are running out now and I will have to grasp the nettle soon and fix the deck and do the big paint job.
Question - when you have the deck ready to be fixed should I run the sheets (?) through the tubing first as it would be difficult to thread them through afterwards. Perhaps fix them to the servo then through the tubing with a extra bit of length for luck?
Oct 18, 2018, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernow
I have posted a picture of the blocks I have made. Ready for final sanding and a coat or two of varnish.
Note these blocks are the UK specification as getting some sizes here in Imperial measurements is becoming harder!
They still work as required and are brilliant Gary.
Small jobs are running out now and I will have to grasp the nettle soon and fix the deck and do the big paint job.
Question - when you have the deck ready to be fixed should I run the sheets (?) through the tubing first as it would be difficult to thread them through afterwards. Perhaps fix them to the servo then through the tubing with a extra bit of length for luck?
Nice! I had loops glued into the booms and should have connected the blocks before gluing the loops into the blocks. I ended by making more blocks, doubling the effort.
Oct 18, 2018, 12:48 PM
Quote:
I should have run the sheets through the tubing before gluing down the deck, as they were not easy to thread through afterwards. Also, think about securing the servo wires now so they can't ever foul in the rudder linkages.

What I ended up doing was pushing a thread down through the tubing from above, fishing that out from below, then tying the thread around the end of the sheets to pull them back out through the tubing.

Definitely leave lots of extra length to trim later. And, tie a knot in the end of the sheets whenever they're loose, to prevent them falling back down the tubes.
Oct 18, 2018, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g'n's
Nice! I had loops glued into the booms and should have connected the blocks before gluing the loops into the blocks. I ended by making more blocks, doubling the effort.
Same here. I glued the wire loops into the blocks. And I glued wire loops into the masts and booms, before hooking all the blocks through those loops. D'oh.

So I tied all the block connections like this:
Oct 18, 2018, 04:03 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Quote:

Looking great, and timely as I'm making a set today, nice to see that photo for clarity.

And thanks of course to Zip for his nifty method on manufacture.

My later boats have even more convoluted sheet routing and it was clear that I needed to think through how I could re-sheet them should they ever we out of the fairleads. normally it best when replacing the sheets to just tie some cotton to the outer end and pull the existing sheet back to the winch line area. Then tie the replacement sheet (I Highly recommend 70 - 100 lb 8 ply dyneema)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Strands-S...r=620213888666

Make sure it is 8 ply, not 4 ply. 4ply is more open and doesn't slide as easily.

to the end (a dab of super glue will ensure it doesn't come off (been there, done that. ) then snip it off when pulled through. The cotton is used as it will never bind or snag on bends.
If the sheet is actually "lost" then using any reasonably flexible cord, superglue the first inch or so (25mm plus) and work it so it is pliable but slightly firm enough the glide around corners.

But! try this before you glue the deck down (or as some of us are doing, screwed down) and see that it works for you.
Oct 18, 2018, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrusoe
(I Highly recommend 70 - 100 lb 8 ply dyneema)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Strands-S...r=620213888666
Make sure it is 8 ply, not 4 ply. 4ply is more open and doesn't slide as easily.
I used #15 Braided Nylon Mason Line (Gold coloured) for all the rigging and sheets,
purchased here: https://ropeshop.ca/shop/nylon-rope/...d-nylon-twine/

But it's much too thick to use on the actual winch line. Because of its thickness, as it builds up while spooling onto or off the winch drum, the tension on the winch line changes dramatically. So I used the much thinner, but just as strong, Dyneema 8 ply fishing line for the winch line.
Oct 19, 2018, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the good tips. Don’t glue the loop into the boom before passing through the loop on the block, good , very good tip!
I am a kite flier and have a version of Dyneema that we use for the lines when flying multi line kites in team. I reckon this will do well for the boat.
Oct 20, 2018, 02:48 AM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Nothing these boats have to contend with are forces that will snap any dyneema, its a matter of selecting the smoothest, lower friction line if you have a choice. . The shrouds can be the same as the winch line but I use thicker for the winch line/ loop and a bit thinner for the shrouds.
Bottom line is, if it seems to work then don't change it.
Oct 20, 2018, 03:17 AM
Mad on modding
Thread OP

Day 2 of Anna rigging tests.

Without going into what I've done with the rigging other than to say that everything is adjustable with bowsies to make on the fly adjustments possible. I've also now have a small GPS that is about the size of a mobius camera and works perfectly, in a zip bag, inside the boat.
The main reason for that is simply to be able to record max. speed and save the recordings for downloading later. It also provides distance travelled etc..
But it takes the guesswork out of determining if it is faster this run, or not. Subjective visuals are not really enough.
But why try to make a cruising craft a racing boat?
Old habits, I guess. Until I came across Gary and his boats I always had “plastic” boats that were designed for speed but needed such ministrations. .
The more I do this sort of testing . winch type, standing rigging methods, sail manufacture.. and so on, the more I appreciate that most of it is only proving that Gary knows what he is talking about. Fortunately for me he seems to appreciate my “modding about” and has told me so. Thankfully, I may add.
So, Anna is now back in the water and Maxine is as good as I can get her. My first schooner, the Molly B is save from any of this as I would not change anything on her. First love, I guess.
However, there are other ways to keep one’s building hand in and I’ll just keep working on it.
My sailing mate Crossbones is motoring somewhere in the Great Australian Desert wilderness so I have to wait to catch up with him, and see his newly built Irene.

So, two videos here, the first is off the bank and the second from onboard. Yours truly is the legs in the wellies. The boat mage 6 kph in easy going, and progressed up to 8 and 9 with the rising breeze, but gained up to 11 with some additional rigging adjustment. I believe any Emma is capable of up to 15 Kph.
My hi-tech video mount worked just fine.

Anna Rev2 Crusoe 2108 (2 min 8 sec)

Anna crusoe 2 onboard (2 min 41 sec)
Oct 20, 2018, 04:33 AM

Anna rev crusoe

Hi,
No Stays needed ! I like your sheet adjustment and centered exit for sheets. Does this give more throw? The jib swivel too is more like the IOM. I've been making up top sails for the schooner. Boat looks good. Did you manage to get the mobius Joovu case?
regards
Bob
Oct 20, 2018, 06:53 AM
Some good video there RobC. She definitely moves along very well when the wind picks up. Trimming for extra performance would be a valid scenario for these and similar craft. No matter what the craft there will always be a desire to be better than the others. From the days of whipping the slaves harder to paddle faster to sail and then motor craft. There was genuine competition between the skippers of these craft be it a social occasion to being the fastest in their commercial word. The quicker, reliable skippers got the better paid jobs being that cargo or passenger. Unfortunately pushing that trimmimg 1% past the optimal had dire consequences. The better skippers even got caught out sometimes. Lots of variable to be addressed and managed instantly. Not sure of what the old skippers would think of this new fangled GPS. Look forward to more videos as you look for the optimum.
Oct 20, 2018, 03:37 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourbluehorizon
Hi,
No Stays needed ! I like your sheet adjustment and centered exit for sheets. Does this give more throw? The jib swivel too is more like the IOM. I've been making up top sails for the schooner. Boat looks good. Did you manage to get the mobius Joovu case?
regards
Bob

Thanks for the reply Bob, nice to read such after spending hours/days coming up with notions.

The sheeting configuration's prime target was maximum throws, about 80% which is about what any 1 metre sailboat in competition would be using.

However, my post sailing thinking comes up with …

1: The Emma is unique in that she uses the sprit to allow adjustment to the shape of the filled sail ( I say 'filled", as without that the luff will always show lack of pressure wrinkles. In this test I think I had the snotter up too high which could well be detrimental to creating an optimum sail shape. Maybe Gary can pass comment on that? I will make a longer sprit and lower the snotter. Also, where the sail corners are attached to the spars the knot needs to allow the rope in the sail gusset to run freely, tying it too tight will negate the reason for the bolt cord to run freely around the three edges. Due to a mistake on my part I had to leave the jib made with each edge fixed, hoping on the jib is wouldn’t matter that much. Maybe it does.?

2: The centrally located fairlead is common on Bermuda rigs, but not always, but it does make for simple sheet control. The problem with this with an Emma is (no traveller) that both booms angle up too steeply during a run making her look like a duck trying to outrun the fox! To counter this on the main I employed a simple vang to limit that angle. It worked fine on runs, but was counter-productive when sailboat headings were in a windward direction. I began to think of employing another servo to make those corrections with the Tx. But it looks to me that Emma is not as comparatively as fast running dead before the wind as the Irene is, so no point. Sheeting in a bit does sort that out but you will find little, if any, difference in the goosewing run speed.

3: I’m fitting a pair of brass adjustable vangs to a modified schooner (a very slow project) to see how it operates in a standard Bermuda rig. I hope I am not abusing that term

4: No stays? Well, as someone else has pointed out, not really needed on an Emma. However, I had ran out of time (wind, sunshine and enthusiasm was up) so I didn’t fit them. Maxine never has had them and she does carry a lot more sail area.

5: The jib swivel is like an I.O.M. and you might notice I’ve added a DF65 jib boom counter weight to aid in lighter conditions.

I was asking about the Yoo Vuu for general info, I’ve had two of them since they first came on the market. I only use one if there is any high risk of the camera getting soaked.

Tug! You said “Unfortunately pushing that trimming 1% past the optimal had dire consequences. The better skippers even got caught out sometimes. Lots of variable to be addressed and managed instantly. Not sure of what the old skippers would think of this new fangled GPS. Look forward to more videos as you look for the optimum.”

Fortunately for me, and the design of Gary’s boats, the only damage my ideas give me, sometimes, is to my confidence.

I’ll set the GPS to less frequent way-points then show how a run course looks on Google Earth.
Thanks for the support.
Oct 20, 2018, 08:46 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP

We've got a Poll running

Since I started this thread it seems I have the option of setting up polls.

I've done this on other forums (where I could) and so long as the topic and the rules are simple, it works very well.

For this one you simply choose the response that is closest to your average sailing sessions. You can only vote once. Your vote and what you chose will not be displayed.

It goes for 30 days . you can view the results at any time whether you have voted or not. (only one vote allowed)

If Paul ( only the tread starter gets this ability for that thread) would like to set up one on the Irene thread it would be great. It can be anything, like "Would you build another Gary boat if he ever added a third ? " or well.. anything.
Oct 20, 2018, 11:15 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
The poll needed a multiple times per week choice

Quick Reply