View Poll Results: How often do you sail?
Weekly 7 36.84%
Average once a month 5 26.32%
Occasionally 3 15.79%
Rarely 3 15.79%
Can't wait to start 1 5.26%
Probably never 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 04, 2018, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourbluehorizon
The proof of the pudding. ...
Regards
Bob
Ah, I see. That's clever.

Does it work?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2018, 02:23 PM

First sailings with Emma

Hi folks,

Here is an Emma sailing video. It's a bit long but you might like Woodie Guthrie.

First sailings with Emma (17 min 22 sec)

I want to add a mount for my Mobius camera and I guess a waterproof case. I like those videos from on board. What is the best way to do this?

Good building and sailing,

Irving
Oct 05, 2018, 03:50 PM

Congratulations!

Nice, irandar!
A beautiful boat, nice sailing, good video, and spectacular setting!
Thanks for sharing!
Paul
Oct 05, 2018, 07:14 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
You can't go wrong with a Mobius. I have several and place them in various locations around the boats so as to give a variation of viewing.
While I take the risk and don't use a waterproof case it's not something to undertake lightly. OK on light to moderate sailing but when the wind is up, in particular strong, sudden gusts, nope!

This guy has made his own casing, I think it is too bulky, but he is using the Mobius #2 camera which is my recommendation.
Super Cheap Underwater Case for a Mobius Camera (1 min 35 sec)

But the Joo Vuu was well worth the money and you'd get some action WET shots not otherwise possible.
Mobius Waterproof Case Unbox (2 min 10 sec)

But it seems to be no longer available, Has Joo Vuu has.. sunk ?

I've tried others in the under $100 range, but the quality sucks.
Oct 05, 2018, 09:43 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Emma sailing video

Quote:
Originally Posted by irandar
Hi folks,

Here is an Emma sailing video. It's a bit long but you might like Woodie Guthrie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqc1Qe7eBMI&t=93s

Good building and sailing,

Irving

like g'n's said, very nice Irving! and I do like Woody Guthrie! Thanks for your efforts to share this with all of us .
Cheers,Gary
Oct 06, 2018, 03:25 AM

Whereabouts of Emma sailors

I wonder if the locations of all Emma sailors are known?
Regards, Irving
Oct 06, 2018, 03:30 AM

Waterproofing for Mobius camera

I like the idea of using the hot-glued plexiglas. Maybe a rubber balloon could be used instead of a plastic bottle.
Something to work on after I locate my Mobius.
Irving
Oct 06, 2018, 04:00 AM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
You'll find that once anything, no matter how clear, is placed in front of the mobius lens, the image will not be as sharp. The cheaper the lens cover ,the worse it gets.
Also the mobius does generate a fair amount of heat so ventilation is wise.
The idea of the global; map of member swas to show where people are, it would be easy to add which boats they have. Unfortunately the concept doesn't appear to be appealing to enough.

Gary is the only one who knows where all the Emmas are based.
Oct 06, 2018, 05:39 AM

Launch ramp

The launch ramp was a disaster. Hard time just sliding ramp over setts then bulb slipped through ramp. Now added a piece of wood at bottom . Might need some small wheels at bottom.
By the way i was able to buy the Joo Vuu case recently
regards
Bob
Oct 06, 2018, 09:40 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Emma (and Irene) locations

Hi Gang,
Robcrusoe is correct to say that I know where the Emmas are, at least I know where I've sent the designs to.
I'm happy to share that info by way of video, so as of Oct 1, 2018, here it is - you can have a pretty good look at the map near the end of the video.
This really was meant to honor scratch builders - my Hat's off to anyone building anything!
Cheers, Gary
“Salute to Scratch Builders” (11 min 42 sec)
Oct 06, 2018, 12:01 PM

Our hats off to Gary!!

I'm so delighted to see this video! I'm happy to see so much success and to imagine the pleasure for so many builders and everyone who sees these nice boats! I'm sure there are many more Irenes and Emmas to be created!
Gary is so helping modeling continue to be creative instead of acquisitive. While I appreciate the way factory produced sailboats get novices sailing and provide the racing fleets, the creative building is SO satisfying!
Instead of a bunch of us failing to finish scale wooden boats, we're finishing and enjoying these simpler, inexpensive designs.
Instead of a bunch of us working long hours building our own poor designs, Gary's sharing is enabling us to succeed.
Gratefully yours,
Paul

To anyone considering, You Can Build This Boat!
Oct 07, 2018, 12:43 AM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourbluehorizon
By the way i was able to buy the Joo Vuu case recently
regards
Bob

Where did you buy it?It's the only commercial, well engineered device I've seen for the mobi.

Google comes up with links, but all they do is take you to online pharmaceuticals

While I think of it, using a Joo Vuu during really cold weather will very soon fog up the lens on the inside. It's due to the heat generated and the moisture in t he air within the casing. I found by checking it once in awhile, and if foggy, unscrew and quickly dry the plastic lens (careful, it scratches far too easily) and screw it back on so the air within the JV is still dehumidified. Best idea would be to dry the camera and JV in a jar with some Silica gel , at home, and leave the camera sealed to and while sailing. The nifty feature of the JV is that the controls are remotely accessible.
Oct 07, 2018, 03:14 AM

More from Cornwall, UK

I have sent a couple more pictures of where I am now with my Emma, now she has a name - Keroloju.
Itís been interesting to solve some problems, but then thatís all part of it for me.
Oct 07, 2018, 03:26 AM

Joovuu case for mobius link

https://www.joovuu.com/gb/cases/103-...roof-case.html
Bought recently from this site
Oct 11, 2018, 09:15 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP

Emma version 3 test sail in strong winds

When I say "version 3" I really mean a makeover, from the hull up, of Anna.
Anna was looking a bit worn after a summer and winter of Aussie weathering, so I removed the deck, not as was planned to simply unscrew and lift, but severely.

After far too many hours I finally got it on the water the other day, main difference being an extended sheet range with a drum winch plus new deck, structures and colour scheme from deck up.. The deck is very austere, none of the usual embellishments.

It was really windy with very strong gusts at times but despite all that she just went her shipshape way as all Emmas will..

The sails and sheeting system is not as I wanted it to be so that is currently being remade, also mast, booms and jibsail. I'm making all spars thinner as I don't believe they can possibly fail. also a couple of other additional rigging controls.

But the short video as follows may be of interest to a few, as with all my so called productions, anything over a minute is not likely to be viewed all the way through. As a matter of interest to those that do sailing videos, check "Analytics" under the video YouTube and you can see how well viewed your movie was.

I'll post an updated video when the modifications are in place and tested.

Anna V2 1 (1 min 41 sec)

I just noticed this post is #300,, nicely contributed to thanks to all who have done so during 11 months this thread has been up.
Last edited by robcrusoe; Oct 11, 2018 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply