Bearospace Sloop EMMA - Page 2 - RC Groups
Nov 23, 2017, 09:45 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Fantasy can be yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidin'n'slidin'
I wonder what length Emma would be, maybe around 25 feet or 8 meters ?
Thanks for that bit of thoughtful curiosity Paul.
Emma's design is, and always has been, imaginary, but I could imagine her to be anywhere from 25 to 35 feet (8 to 10 meters) -
Just my own imagination of course, I hope others will indulge in the fantasy as they like. Another photo, just for fun.
Cheers, Gary
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2017, 12:33 AM
And might we all say thanks to you for the concept and the way to go about it.

Scuttlebutt The two Aussie Emmas are likely to debut together on December 20th at Lake Neangar in Bendigo Victoria.
Nov 24, 2017, 03:18 AM
Hi there Gary, great photos of the Emma. I have a few more to add relating to my build. Have been working thru the stages, getting a few tips along the way from Robcrusoe. Really enjoying the experience and canít wait for our inaugural match race in a couple of weeks. This weekend for me is making cotton sails, have watched your YouTube presentation several times so hopefully right to go. Anyway enough said see photos below.

Cheers CBS.
Nov 24, 2017, 10:44 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Sail Making for Emma

Hi Crossbones - You and Robcrusoe Rock! - I'll be looking forward to the upcoming match race, have ordered extra popcorn!
Sailmaking this weekend -
Let me slip in a Hot Tip about making Emma's mainsail - At the peak of the sail, I leave extra length of bolt rope to form a loop which will engage the sprit. Simple & easy, see photo
Cheers, Gary
Nov 25, 2017, 12:09 AM
Hey Gary, thanks for the hot tip, will be sure to leave enough bolt rope to do that.
Cheers CBS.
Nov 25, 2017, 12:10 AM
Ah, Gary.. Too late for me.. mine are made,, CB is doing his early next week,

However, I have a plan.. sort of.
Nov 26, 2017, 01:13 AM

Anna is getting close to debut time.

Just set up rigging to test the fit and operation, but at least it looks fairly complete. Bulb to be cast shortly for both boats.
Nov 30, 2017, 05:26 PM
Well, after approx 6 weeks of construction and some specific lessons on the art of sewing cotton sails, I think I am finally complete, excepting for the pouring and fitting of the lead ballast to the keel. It has been a fantastic experience and has prompted me to start my next project - THE IRENE. This one will take a while longer but having now built the EMMA, I am definitely more confident to undertake a bigger project. I have attached a couple of photos of the final product, but I will also have a few more shots when Robcrusoe and I match race the pair in Bendigo in a couple of weeks.
Nov 30, 2017, 07:35 PM
:Well done CB, been great watching you not making all the mistakes I had to , particularly because I did the Irene first.
There is no question about it, if anyone is more than just interested in doing this, then build the Emma first and really excel with the Irene.

You can expect the Irene to take twice as long, not for the the main construction but all the fiddley bits. and the additional rigging, etc.
Last edited by robcrusoe; Dec 05, 2017 at 12:34 AM.
Dec 02, 2017, 06:36 PM

Antenna arrangement

It would be helpful to describe a good antenna arrangement for the split 2.4 gHz units.

Also, do sailors use the rubber grommet airplane style servo hardware or something more solid?
This sailwinch servo is pretty big

I've started Emma by cutting smaller parts from leftover plywood. I've got the radio setup built. Once again I'm using doubled plywood for things like the radio 1/4 x 1/2 x 9 inch pieces.
I need a sheet of plywood for Emma. Home Depot around here advertises lauan plywood for $10 per sheet.
Dec 03, 2017, 01:09 PM

Similar boat

Here's a sprit rigged double ender looking good
Sailing the "Oselvar" - Oselvarseiling (8 min 8 sec)
Dec 03, 2017, 01:17 PM

Another

Here's another one
Swedish pilot sailboat replica based on a boat from 1914 (2 min 43 sec)
Dec 03, 2017, 04:36 PM
Intersting how the Star45 has similar construction as the Emma and Irene ...
Not double ended - but still hard chind.

I still like the look of Emma and Irene - since they both look more traditional - especially Gaff Rigged ... looking more like a Gaff Rigged schooner.

Note: updated comment as to Gaff Rigged ... which are - in my opinion - some of the most classic looking yachts

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...%5B4394%5D.jpg
Last edited by slo.ca6; Dec 05, 2017 at 03:18 AM.
Dec 05, 2017, 12:46 AM
G&S

There is no point fitting rudder absorbent grommets in the winch servo mounting holes, unlike a model plane the Emma will not have a wildly vibrating engine to be allowed for. you would easily get away with just two diagonal mounting screws. But use them by all means if you prefer.

As for the dual antenna on 2.4Ghz, so long as one is above the waterline it really doesn't matter how they are placed. Having said that, the normal way is to mount one vertical, the other horizontally. But believe me, in one of these boats it wont ever matter.

Nice videos, by the way.
Dec 05, 2017, 12:50 AM
Slo.. The link shows what to me is a bermuda rig Aren't you talking about schooners? Nice boat anyway!