View Poll Results: How often do you sail?
Weekly 7 36.84%
Average once a month 5 26.32%
Occasionally 3 15.79%
Rarely 3 15.79%
Can't wait to start 1 5.26%
Probably never 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Sep 30, 2018, 04:27 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Great build Irving, sequences nicely spaced to give time to read where applicable.

You must be delighted with it.

Thanks for the plug on www.rcsailboats.pw

I'll add you video to it today.

.................................................. .................................................. ....

Bob..

Looking great, well done!
Last edited by robcrusoe; Sep 30, 2018 at 04:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2018, 07:52 PM
skumgummi dave
Irving:
Thanks for the great video. It was enjoyable.
Dave-
Oct 01, 2018, 01:00 PM

maiden from Bob in Ulster

Rudder arm arrived by post today so had to have her on the water. Video to follow. Took on a bit water but great fun.
Oct 01, 2018, 03:47 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Those sails look awesome, the topsail certainly adds to it. Expect to see more using them.

Good stuff,, Matey.
Oct 01, 2018, 08:01 PM

Beautiful Boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourbluehorizon
Took on a bit water but great fun.
Thanks, OBH, she looks great!
Oct 02, 2018, 03:54 PM

Video of maiden by OBH

Took on a bit of water but enjoyed trying out the waterproof mobius. Difficult changing tack without turning downwind.

Sloop Emma (4 min 0 sec)
Oct 02, 2018, 04:21 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Looks and sails a real treat.
The tacking problem, in that hefty breeze, may well be the topsail, I've experienced it with Maxine but figure the more lively sailing is worth gybing if need be.
You said you were screwing the deck down. Unless you caulk the small gap, in places, around the edges , in sailing with water coming on deck you are bound to find it takes on water.
If the seam is only a fine one you might use the same paint that is on the top coat of the deck , applied with a fine brush, to fill the openings. If it is wider than a 1/16" it may need some oakum treatment. Gap sealers set like glue, so you'll never get the deck off if that's your consideration for screwing the deck down.
Oct 02, 2018, 04:41 PM

Watertight deck

Screwing the deck down i think was tighter than using clamps. I did use a powerful glue gap sealer knowing that the deck would have to be cut away if necessary. Changed back to pelican hooks left over from the schooner and also made bowsies. I think the water may have come in under the cabin roof on launching. I'm planning to create a safer way of launching using a tubular ramp. The strong wind certainly tested all the fittings.
regards
Bob
Oct 02, 2018, 05:32 PM
Hi OBH,

when I saw your photo of I thought that your jib was sheeted too tight with respect to your mainsail. It could have just appeared that way due to the angle from which the photo was taken.

However, your difficulties tacking, and the video tend to confirm my suspicions. This shows up when the boat is coming up into the wind and the mainsail starts luffing but the jib is still drawing strongly.

If the jib is too tight, a tack becomes hard to achieve because when the main luffs the jib is left to pull the bow away from the wind. In technical terms, the Centre of Effort (COE) shifts forward of the Centre of Lateral Resistance (CLR) and the boat takes on a big pile of lee helm. I won't go into the explanation of CLR and COE here because it is beaten to death on YouTube (YouTube is your friend).

Another way of determining if the relationship of the jib to the main is how she performs when sailing close hauled. Will she hold her line without constant rudder adjustments? If the jib is too tight you may have to constantly work to stop her moving her bow downwind - lee helm.

Try adjusting the jib out with respect to the main until they just start luffing at the same time. Then play with the adjustment until she will sail 'hands off'.

Cheers,

Terry
Oct 03, 2018, 12:02 AM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Good suggestions there Terry.
Timely for me as my Seawind (sailing a few hours ago) has problems with tacking when pointed high but only under lively conditions.

Make good sense on any heading.

Thanks
Oct 03, 2018, 01:27 PM

Problems tacking

Hi Terry,
Thanks for that. Always good to get some encouraging advice. Will try your tip. Meanwhile I made a rig from plastic tubing to make launching from bank of reservoir much safer and a drier launch for boat.
regards
Bob
Oct 03, 2018, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourbluehorizon
I made a rig from plastic tubing to make launching from bank of reservoir much safer and a drier launch for boat.
I'm curious. Let's see it!
Oct 04, 2018, 06:19 AM

Shallow water launching

Me too, would like to see your shallow water launching rig.
Oct 04, 2018, 07:16 AM

Launching Rig

Hi
Not sure if it would be much use in shallow water. Maybe with wheels at base. It was designed for launching off an awkward reservoir bank made up with stone setts. The bulb tends to catch on rough setts below waters edge. Its also vey slippery at edge. Made with plastic tubing open at end so that tubing will sink. Wooden ramp would of course float! Looking forward to testing. Boathook is needed for retrieval of yacht.
regards
Bob
Oct 04, 2018, 11:57 AM

Launch ramp

The proof of the pudding. ...
Regards
Bob

Quick Reply