View Poll Results: How often do you sail?
Weekly 7 36.84%
Average once a month 5 26.32%
Occasionally 3 15.79%
Rarely 3 15.79%
Can't wait to start 1 5.26%
Probably never 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Sep 25, 2018, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernow
How do you bend the steel rod to make the U shape for the fair leads and the blocks?
I struggle to make the bend small enough. Advice please.
See this post by g'n's.

His first image shows a clever jig for getting a consistent radius of bend. Choose whatever diameter of nails you prefer over which to bend the rod.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2018, 05:50 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
That's looking very timber-like, well done!
Is the deck planked or the lines drawn on?
If drawn, what have you used for a marker pen?

I slip an "O" ring around the mast as well and position so it snugs to the top of the mast entry block.
If anyone gets a bit concerned about a small amount of water in the hull then don't be too fussed about it. If you sealed and painted the inner hull well (do I ever ) then you can soak it up with a kitchen foam pad that can be left in there anyway, and removed after sailing for drying out. However water getting in, under moderate to light conditions should be remedied. In heavy going, well, that's what bilges are for.

Anyhow, if you do get a fair bit then the easiest way to remove it is with a cheap eBay 100ml syringe with a length of tubing.

But with any boat, regardless of hull construction and apparent "dryness" you should always remove the hatch covers and roof , straight after sailing and leave the boat out in the breeze for an hour so to protect the electronics from insidious water vapour corrosion, the stuff you wont normally discover until the rot killed your servos and maybe the RX.
If the weather outside is not conducive to this, direct the airflow from a fan into it indoors for a while.
Sep 26, 2018, 01:48 PM

deck planking

G'day Rob,
The lines were drawn on the deck with a fine pointed marker pen. On the cabin roof I used some left over cedar strip from the time I built a couple of IOM's. There have been times with the schooner in heavy going where it has taken on a fair bit of water. I'm going to weather proof the schooner some more.
Got a final coat of epoxy on and sanded down. Now have one side of gunnel done. Not enough clamps for both!
regards
Bob
Sep 26, 2018, 03:45 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Good stuff Bob..

Can't have too many clamps, they are the most used tools on my bench.

Good to see you screwing down the deck, presumably, like Crossbones and myself, with the capability of removing the deck if the need, or desire, arises. It's the fine gap between the deck and the hull that needs a filling that wont act as an adhesive. Off the shelf gap fillers are low strength but effective "stickers" at preventing the deck to be lifted away. I'm about the fit the replacement deck on Anna sloop, and will try something different.

Keep up the pace, and post more photos when you can.
Sep 26, 2018, 04:01 PM

Winch sheets

The sails and spars are all ready to go. Set up the main sheet with the tx. Just to setc up jib sheet. Distance between winch and return pully could not be greater. Just a case of choosing attachment point on pulley lines. This will be done before deck is finally screwed down.
Might even get an undercoat on hull tomorrow.
Regards
Bob
Sep 27, 2018, 03:01 PM

Steel rod bending jig

Thatís very ingenious, I will give it a go.
Sep 28, 2018, 02:49 PM

sails and deck mounted to check winch throws

Mounted the deck and fitted sails just to check the movement with winch. With double mast support she hardly needs stays.
Sep 28, 2018, 04:04 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Looking good Bob. Like that sails colour.

Funny you should mention not needing shrouds, when I built Maxine as a modified Emma, I completely overlooked them and didn't notice the omission for the first few sailings. And that is how she sails now, even with a topsail in place and under some serious wind at times. I also had made the spars and mast the next stock size down.
You can see in the photo that she has a larger mast thru deck fitting. I also have a removable thick pin going through that block , which adds to it stability of the mast but also allows me to lift her out of the water initially by the mast, then two hands all the way.

The block should also have 2 small, thin screws fitted from underneath to add to its strength. Epoxy to paint can break away with a hard knock. Best to glue in on before painting, but I more often tend to put "horse before the cart".

In MHO anyone sailing an Emma should give the topsail option a go. Sure, looks a bit off-putting initially ( as was the sloop design, to me) but once you see it out there with a bone in it's teeth you'll be a believer.
Sep 28, 2018, 04:35 PM

emma Topsail

Hi Mal
Topsail is already made. Just varnishing spars. Might get painting done tomorrow.
regards
Bob
Sep 28, 2018, 10:50 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Ah, I knew you were a believer.. welcome to the Three Amigos (could be others, I just have not seen anything from them).
Sep 29, 2018, 06:45 AM

Painting emma

Nothing like painting to show up the poor finish but it's under the waterline. Will do above waterline tomorrow in same colours aso schooner.
Regards
Bob
Sep 29, 2018, 11:53 AM

Painting emma

Captain looking chuffed with painting almost done.
Sep 29, 2018, 12:55 PM
OBH, looks like room to bunk a crew of twenty!
Sep 30, 2018, 10:58 AM

Almost ready

Nearly had deck sealed when I found that lines were snagging below deck. Sorted and sealed. AUW is nearly 14 lbs.
Sep 30, 2018, 03:16 PM
Hi folks,
Recently finished and sailed Emma. Tried to document my building experience with photos on Youtube.
Building Emma, an RC sailboat (10 min 45 sec)

Snow will be in the air here tomorrow but warmer later.
Good building and sailing,
Irving

Quick Reply