View Poll Results: How often do you sail?
Weekly 7 36.84%
Average once a month 5 26.32%
Occasionally 3 15.79%
Rarely 3 15.79%
Can't wait to start 1 5.26%
Probably never 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Sep 09, 2018, 03:40 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Reply to "Where we hang out"

Thanks robcrusoe for suggesting this, always fun to think about far away folks and places. The global access we have now sure lets us reach far away.
The original "Irene" and "Emma" both reside aboard the 35' sailboat "Sparkle" located in Ensenada, Baja, Mexico.
https://www.google.com.mx/maps/@31.8.../data=!3m1!1e3
Cheers, Gary
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2018, 04:25 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Very colourful Stephen. I'm currently refurbishing my first Emma and am adding some "colour" also.
My second Emma has a drum winch and larger sails, but also now sports the topsail in all weathers.
It is so easy to add (and remove) the topsail that any serious Emma sailor should give it a go.
Sep 09, 2018, 06:04 PM
https://www.google.com.mx/maps/place...2934c4e7?hl=en
Here's where I transport to via bicycle and sail most times. With mountains all around it's sometimes gusty and unpredictable.
Paul
Last edited by Paul~; Sep 09, 2018 at 08:41 PM.
Sep 09, 2018, 06:27 PM

Ships's wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by g'n's
What a lively, colorful beauty! :^D Congratulations! :^D
Please tell us about the ship's wheel, please?
Always liked nautical stuff so several years ago I made a ships wheel and pedestal. It's my "Florida" area in the basement where I can sit back and think of our upcoming winter in sunny Naples Florida. Three months out of the cold cruel winter of Northern Indiana. I take a RC sailboat boat down to Florida and sail it with the local sailing club. Great fun.
Sep 10, 2018, 10:27 AM

Progress in Cornwall

I have built my hull and it almost looks like a boat now. I could not get the glue nice and neat but it has certainly stuck!
Cut the thread on my rudder shaft today and it is great, feeling very pleased with myself.
Sep 10, 2018, 03:45 PM
he floats !!!!!!!
Sep 12, 2018, 11:25 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Launching in France

Congratulations Manta741 !
Happy to see your boat in the water, looks Great ! Lovely place to sail ! We look forward to sailing reports.
Thanks for sharing your project with all of us, and Thanks again for your French translation of the Emma plans.
A reminder that if anyone purchasing Emma plans would like the instructions in French, mention this to Bearospace and we can provide.
A great big Thanks to Manta741 for his help with this.
Cheers, Gary
Sep 15, 2018, 07:42 PM
Hi guys, I have been looking at your beautiful boats and trying to learn as much as possible. I hope to have my own Emma built soon . I have been a model builder most of my life but it has been all airplanes till now . I know next to nothing about boats but a know what I like and Emma I like . Gary my hats off to you , the plans are a work of art and easy to understand even for someone like me who knows nothing of boats or ships
Sep 16, 2018, 05:16 AM

Alternative Bulb

I am used to casting bulbs in 2 halves then bolting together as in schooner Irene. I decided to do the same with Emma. I didn't fancy filing down lead as it is much easier to sand down a plug of blue foam. I still have a large slab left over from insulating the shed roof!
A previous post mentioned "bulb Calc" so I gave it a try. Very easy to use. Gary gave 6.5 lbs as the target weight and I used the length of about 27 mm. I kept the bow of the plug round as least likely to get damaged .
Printed out the results. see the pdf files
Used the outline to cut a foam blank.
The card cutout semi circles are then used as a guide to sanding the blue foam.
The finished plug can be checked for volume by the water displacement method.
The half plug should displace about 130 mls of water .
Its then a simple case of greasing the plug before setting in plaster. I've used cling film, saran wrap, in the past but this leaves ridges in the mold.
To remove the plug give the plaster time to set before using a corkscrew to gently remove the plug.
It may take a couple of weeks for the mold to properly set.
If lead is poured in before the mold dries out hot lead may spit as it dries out the plaster.
Hope the pics and pdf's are a simpler explanation.
Last edited by ourbluehorizon; Sep 17, 2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: correcting text
Sep 21, 2018, 05:17 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP

Put your boat on our map !

Go to this Irene post for details

GEOLOCATION
Sep 25, 2018, 01:33 PM

Bending steel rod

I have made more progress and have put the superstructure on to the deck.
But now I have a question. How do you bend the steel rod to make the U shape for the fair leads and the blocks?
I struggle to make the bend small enough. Advice please.
Sep 25, 2018, 01:41 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernow
But now I have a question. How do you bend the steel rod to make the U shape for the fair leads and the blocks?
Gary's jig

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post38761900
Sep 25, 2018, 02:19 PM

rods for fair leads and blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernow
I used very thick copper wire the sort that comes in earth leads. Its much easier to bend. I decided to use delrin rather than copper tube as the lines from the sail servo don't ned the diameter to copper tubing. I also set the delrin exit 1/2 inch above deck to make less chance of water getting below deck.
regards
Bob
will post pics soon
Sep 25, 2018, 03:51 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
I use chrome bicycle spokes but they are not easy to bend to a matching shape. so all I do is is keep doing it until I get a set, maybe 2 or 3 extra.

Bicycle shops will sell you thin spokes (they have black if you prefer) quite cheaply.
Sep 25, 2018, 04:39 PM

Emma build

Heres a few shots showing progess of build.
Gone for the winch option and sheets through delrin leads in a similar set up to schooner Irene
Delrin posts have narrower hole than copper tube and are set higher to decrease water intake.
Doubled thickness of mast base to prevent water intake
Rocker switch built into aft of cabin
Hull has been given a final coat of epoxy before sanding then painting
Deck will be screwed down.
Stil to fit gunalls

Quick Reply