Latency from Tx module PPM input to Nano Rx PPM output - RC Groups
Nov 18, 2017, 09:34 AM
Build more, websurf less
Question

Latency from Tx module PPM input to Nano Rx PPM output

Jim,

Can you please estimate how much time passes from when:

Servo position information in a PPM frame output from a transmitter to the XPS Tx module comes out of a Nano Rx's PPM output.

I'm thinking some microseconds?

Thanks,

Paul

amount
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2017, 04:38 PM
It takes up 14ms to collect the data from the PPM stream before it can be sent via the transmitter. Sending the data over air takes under 1ms with 8 channels. The Nano decodes the packet after it arrives, so another 1ms before the servo positions are changed - which occurs in less than 2ms.

The longest delay in the entire process is the transmitter's frame rate.
Nov 19, 2017, 02:27 PM
Build more, websurf less
Interesting, about 17ms, with the majority of the time spent waiting for the complete frame to accumulate out of the transmitter. Thanks Jim, Paul.