This thread is privately moderated by PeterVRC, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 18, 2017, 08:32 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Viper Jet (No.2) - 90mm EDF - 1400mm HSD (Rating 8/10)[Crashed - Destroyed]

I bought a new HSD Viperjet, but as a KIT. That ended up being quite a DUMB idea and way to do it! Buying the Kit was AUD$200 less, but when I found out what it DOES NOT come with it showed how that "$200" was actually worth AUD$400 in value! Plus it took 8 hrs or more to transfer over all the parts that it needed!! So it 'cost' money and TIME too! In the PNF I could have used the EDF, ESC and Retracts for another aircraft and those are most of that $400 value. And not have had to transfer anything!
Boo !!!

I set it up with the 8S Jetfan again, and did the all mods to fit that and its batteries. (extended battery tray etc).

I took it out today for its Maiden and flew just like the first one - of course.
One thing I did different was coat it in SATIN WBPU, instead of Matt. The Matt comes out a Semi-Gloss really.... and the Satin comes out a High Gloss! So shiny! It looks like it is a composite (fiberglass) aircraft!! And ready to RACE !!

On the maiden flight I flew it at a 'brisk cruise' Airspeed for the most, with a handful of WOT climbs, loops, 'race past' cases.
The Flight Time was 7 minutes and 30 Seconds!!!
That is pretty awesome for a 90mm EDF... and flying quite fast! Plus with that bunch of WOT sections in it.
The Turnigy graphenes came down ambient/cool... and 3.70v per cell. After pretty well dead on 4000mAH used.

The flight was mainly at 30Amps (900W) down to 20Amps (600W) for more of it. With the 2500W+ WOT runs here and there.

The next two flights I averaged more around 40Amps (1200W), for a 'racier' airspeed, and they were under 6 minutes... from 5.0 to 5.5mins. Still very good flight lengths for a 90mm EDF! More so for a quite fast one.

All three landings had "near stall" incidents! More so the Maiden/First flight!
The airspeed after flaring looks OK to me, but it seems it really needs to land a bit faster to be SAFE and sure! Thus not needing as much Angle of Attack.
On the first flight it really dipped the left wing, suddenly, and luckily it was only 1 Foot off the ground plus my quick Aileron (Roll) use did flick it back to level wings. But the left wing brushed the grass before that!!

In hindsight, even VJ1 had numerous such encounters of that, and it looked and felt easily corrected for - until the crash case!! So it is just how it is.... it needs to land faster!

The Kit did NOT come with a cheater hole or grill up on top! I decided NOT to install the old one and try it out without a cheater first.
After flying it I decided it DOES need one!
So I will add that in during the week. And you can always close off SOME, or all, of it to arrive at the true optimal setup eventually.

I decided the HSD Viper jet is the BEST aircraft in design, quality, implementation, part etc of ANY brand of foam aircraft I have ever had! It is just the PREMIUM end of the scale, and no other brand is close!
And getting this new one just made that stand out again.
One day I will get one of the bigger HSD jets...... The F-16? The Super Viper? And maybe even a turbine version of one of those. (AUD$3600 approx.... pretty good value for a 6Kg turbine jet!)

Pics and Videos soon.....

Last edited by PeterVRC; Jan 13, 2019 at 11:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2017, 08:38 AM
Thread OP

Maiden Flight video

The Maiden Flight:

Viper Jet - HSD 1400mm - Viper Jet "2" Maiden Flight (8 min 6 sec)
Nov 18, 2017, 08:39 AM
Thread OP

Flight 3

Flight 3

Viper Jet - HSD 1400mm - Flight 3 (2nd HSD Viperjet) (6 min 40 sec)

Quick Reply