SIMBC Chesapeake Bay Skipjack RC Model - Page 2 - RC Groups
Dec 20, 2017, 02:18 PM
TD/Skipjack noob
Forgot to add, yes, thanks for the reminder PJ - I need to glue the two halves of my mast together so Tom can help me turn them.

Dan
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2017, 04:51 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Subscribed. Watching your build. Still working on mine for over 10 years. At the point now where I have to install the sail winch gear and finish up some of the rigging. Maybe I'll get her on the water this spring.
Dec 29, 2017, 06:24 PM
TD/Skipjack noob
Thanks jcarstan. Are you a glider guider too?

The the chines, kelson, and shear clamps didn't bend to the frame and stay there. So the next step for me is to try to steam bend them. I've bought some 2" PVC piping and end caps. I'll use my wife's drapes/clothing steamer - hope it will generate enough steam.

Dan
Dec 29, 2017, 07:10 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Yes, a gliderguider I am. Not to hijack your build but here's a progress picture from last year. Much further along now and maybe this spring I'll get her done.

Jan
Dec 31, 2017, 05:17 PM
TD/Skipjack noob
Beautiful build so far jcarstan! Keep the pictures coming - it will keep us all inspired...

Dan
Dec 31, 2017, 07:35 PM
TD/Skipjack noob

Steamed some stringers

See the below pics - I used a CONAIR fabric steamer - something like this: (mine was model GS5R)

I used a 2" x 5' PVC pipe with one end cap in place. Drilled 2 quarter inch holes - one for steam evac at the high end, and one for water evac at the low end. Also set up a small drip 'pan.' Timed steaming for 20 minutes each. (PVC pipe bent - was not rated for the high steam temperatures I guess.)

First stringer turned out pretty well. Second one didn't seem to get fully steamed. Not sure what the difference was, though probably my laziness in trying to use tape to hold the steamer onto the pipe allowed more steam to leak out.

Either way, I'll see how they both hold tonight and evaluate whether or not I need to re-steam.

Dan
Dec 31, 2017, 08:28 PM
Checkout this YouTube link for additional steam methods ...

Steam bending wood without using a steambox (6 min 2 sec)
Dec 31, 2017, 09:23 PM
TD/Skipjack noob
Love the bubble level measurement method @2:30 - GENIUS!

Thanks for posting!
Jan 01, 2018, 07:43 AM
Very cool video, thanks
Jan 04, 2018, 03:34 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Dan - As you progress I would recommend you give thought to your sail control setup before you install the deck. Decide between arm or rotary servo. I decided on arm and bought a HiTec HS 815BB Mega Sail Servo. Apparently it's not sufficient with a proper length arm since it would stall easily. I also had to grind away some overhead bulkhead to allow rotation. But, now I am going to install a Servo City D645 super torque setup. Anyway, the point being - don't leave your sail control system to the end. It's easier to plan ahead on this. Jan
Jan 05, 2018, 08:27 PM
TD/Skipjack noob
Thanks for the advice! Interested to see your radio setup once you go final.

This weekend I'll start gluing. The steam worked with mixed success, but I think well enough to prevent twisting the frame once I get it off the build board.

Dan
Jan 07, 2018, 11:15 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Here's where I mounted my radio board and the rudder servo. Will also place the battery for servos here . I'm using a LiFe battery.
When I started this project I knew I would not be racing the boat so I decided to add some additional features to make it look more realistic from a standoff scale perspective. The book "The Skipjack" by Steve Rogers been a great help in doing that and in the overall building effort.
I purchased the keel and sails from SIBC. Also, if you haven't checked already there are some excellent tips on their website. I used their rudder installation method.
Good luck in planking and post pictures.
Jan 12, 2018, 12:38 PM
TD/Skipjack noob
Thanks jcarstan, looks like a nice clean install. Looking forward to seeing your winch servo setup when that's all settled.

Dan
Jan 15, 2018, 08:28 PM
TD/Skipjack noob
Made some good progress this weekend:
1) Finished gluing the chines, shear clamps, and kelson.
2) Cut the kelson at frame 1, and cut the stem at the chines.
3) Sanded everything down to ensure a good fit for the planking.
4) Cut the planking after fitting it. Pictures below

Dan

p.s. also included a boat from one of our members

Quick Reply