SIMBC Chesapeake Bay Skipjack RC Model - RC Groups
Nov 17, 2017, 11:19 AM
TD/Skipjack noob
Build Log

SIMBC Chesapeake Bay Skipjack RC Model

Planning to build a Solomons Island Model Boat Club Chesapeake Bay Skipjack for RC starting this winter. This will be the build log for that sailboat. This kit was designed in 1979 by 'Pepper' Langley. I had the opportunity to meet with Tom Y at SIMBC and pick up the templates, plans, sails, build board (used), and decking/hull. I am really looking forward to this build.

Dan
Last edited by nevadafinish; Nov 18, 2017 at 12:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2017, 06:57 PM
TD/Skipjack noob

Photos from Previous Builds

I've attached photos from 3 skipjack builds sitting in the SIMBC Model Boat Shop at the Solomons Maritime Museum in Solomons Maryland.

The club's website is here: SIMBC you can find ordering procedures there.

The pictures below are from:

a boat built about 30 years ago according to Tom, and still sailing
a boat he is building now - note the craftsmanship on the hull
a boat someone else is just starting
additionally the first 3 photos are on the building board he lent me for the build.

closeups were to help with my build, so hope I got enough to be useful. Time will tell.

Dan
Last edited by nevadafinish; Nov 18, 2017 at 12:39 AM.
Nov 17, 2017, 07:32 PM
TD/Skipjack noob

Bill of Materials - Sticky Post

OK, so the provided materials included in the $210.00 include
Lead keel - threaded
3 sheets 1/8 planking
6 frames - marked with template - not cut
sails
instructions

Borrowed:
Build Board (needs sanding)

Bought Separately: - I'll continue to update this as I go. (note my last edit date/time for any updates)
Titebond 3, which is a good marine glue as I understand.

a 1"x 6"x 8' piece of quality pine, which Tom and I got the kelson, xxxx, chines, bowsprit, mast and boom from, with some leftovers (will update this once cut)

#4 x 3/4" brass screws from Lowes (box of 75)

Dan
Last edited by nevadafinish; Dec 20, 2017 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Turned into Sticky Post for the BOM
Nov 17, 2017, 10:10 PM
TD/Skipjack noob

Lessons Learned - Sticky Post

Here are some lessons I learned while building. I'll continue to update this post as I build. (Note the edit date/time for my last update here.)

1. When cutting out the frames, number 5 and 6 sides probably shouldn't be perpendicular to the frame's face. Check the plans before cutting. I don't think it's a big deal, just more filing/sanding work in the long run.
Last edited by nevadafinish; Dec 20, 2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Changed to Lessons Learned Sticky
Nov 17, 2017, 10:39 PM
TD/Skipjack noob
I've been watching some youtube...

"The Twentieth Century": The Sailing Oystermen

is a pretty good old video

and

SailTails channel is great

his way of speaking and explaining what he did is quite entertaining.

Dan
Nov 18, 2017, 02:17 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Hi:

I've added the Skipjack 48 here: http://www.allradiosailboats.com/design/skipjack48
Can someone help by filling in missing details?

Thanks!
Nov 18, 2017, 08:29 PM
TD/Skipjack noob
Sure, not keen to login to that site with my facebook, but if you don't mind adding the data...

Class: Scale
Year: 1979
Designer: 'Pepper' Langley
Hull
Type: Water / Monohull
Length
LOA: 1219 mm (48.0 in)
LWL: 1146 mm (~45 1/8 in)
Beam: 368 mm (14.5 in)
Displacement: 10206gr (22.5lb)
Draught
Hull: 89 mm (3.5 in)
Keel: 171 mm (6.75 in)
Sailplan
Total Area: 33.9 sq. m (1335 sq. in)

Reference
Designer Page: SIMBC https://sites.google.com/site/simbclub/
Plans: Bill of Materials / 4 sheets
Manuals: instructions - 10 pages
Vendors: SIMBC
Last edited by nevadafinish; Nov 18, 2017 at 08:45 PM.
Nov 18, 2017, 08:43 PM
TD/Skipjack noob
So tonight, a friend with a really nice workshop helped me get the frames cut out and rough sanded.

We used a drill press, scroll saw, band saw, table sander, and a hammer/chisel. Pics are attached.

**edit - note lessons learned sticky post above regarding frames 5 and 6

Dan
Last edited by nevadafinish; Dec 20, 2017 at 01:15 PM. Reason: added a lesson learned
Nov 19, 2017, 05:28 PM
TD/Skipjack noob
A little more progress today, though I had to halt to fix the stern post on the build board.

Question for anyone reading - when placing the stem, does it align exactly with the front of the build board?

**Edit - I decided to align exactly with the front of the board.

Thanks,
Dan
Last edited by nevadafinish; Dec 20, 2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: answered my own question
Nov 20, 2017, 12:19 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadafinish
Sure, not keen to login to that site with my facebook, but if you don't mind adding the data...

Class: Scale
Year: 1979
Designer: 'Pepper' Langley
Hull
Type: Water / Monohull
Length
LOA: 1219 mm (48.0 in)
LWL: 1146 mm (~45 1/8 in)
Beam: 368 mm (14.5 in)
Displacement: 10206gr (22.5lb)
Draught
Hull: 89 mm (3.5 in)
Keel: 171 mm (6.75 in)
Sailplan
Total Area: 33.9 sq. m (1335 sq. in)

Reference
Designer Page: SIMBC https://sites.google.com/site/simbclub/
Plans: Bill of Materials / 4 sheets
Manuals: instructions - 10 pages
Vendors: SIMBC
All data added!!! Thanks!!

www.allRadioSailboats.com was developed by me, and I can tell you the only thing facebook/google/twitter logon does is identify you (email and full name). The system will never do anything on your behalf.... :-)
Nov 20, 2017, 07:31 PM
TD/Skipjack noob
Great, thanks! pretty neat website.

Dan
Dec 10, 2017, 09:32 PM
TD/Skipjack noob

Progress

I was able to convince Tom to help me cut the kelson, chines, mast, etc out of a piece of nice pine (1"x"6"x8').
Last edited by nevadafinish; Dec 20, 2017 at 01:20 PM. Reason: unsure about kelson to stem measurement
Dec 10, 2017, 09:34 PM
TD/Skipjack noob

I confess...

I may have been distracted by my new Dragon Force 65. Sounds like the club is going to actively start racing these. Exciting!
Dec 17, 2017, 02:02 PM
Indifferent User
I just got a keel & plans, Dan... will watch your progress with interest.
You gonna have someone turn the pine mast and bowsprit to achieve proper taper?
;-)
PJ
Dec 20, 2017, 01:05 PM
TD/Skipjack noob
Awesome, thanks for following PJ. It will help keep me motivated to post.

Making some good progress. Pics are below. So far, I've added kelson, chines and shear clamps - screwed in, but not yet glued. I'm using brass screws from Lowes- #4 x 3/4" - no problems except for right up at the bow where I had enough of an angle on the screw and enough tension due to the bend and pull toward the bow that I split the shear clamp. No worries though, a little CA will fix temporarily, and all will be well once I get the Titebond III in there.
The area near the stern between frames 4, 5 and 6 is a little strange from a chine/clamp bending perspective. I wondered if I got the #6 frame aligned correctly, but it seems to only be off by about 1/8" in height.

I want to see if about 7 days in a bent condition will form the wood without me having to steam it. Then I'll glue.

**Also, lesson learned - when cutting out the frames, number 5 and 6 sides probably shouldn't be perpendicular to the frame's face. Check the plans before cutting. I don't think it's a big deal, just more filing/sanding work in the long run. I'll add this note earlier in the thread.

Let me know if you have questions.

Dan
Last edited by nevadafinish; Dec 20, 2017 at 07:17 PM.

Quick Reply