Nov 17, 2017, 09:49 AM
Help!

Landfill flying sites question

I belong to two clubs in my area. One on private land and the other at an old city landfill. On the private land we installed a fabric runway and it has worked out great, especially for those of us with little wheels or wheel pants.

Don't know if we could install a fabric runway on the landfill....Any clubs out there that have installed a fabric runway on a landfill ????

RonJ
Sparta, WI
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2017, 02:49 PM
Suspended Account
That is a decision left to your local government or whomever has control over the landfill. I do know part of a landfills function requires the ground to be able to "breath" as it were. To aid in the decomposition of all the junk underneath. All of which will be governed by State and local laws and codes.

Aside from that, it should be no more a problem than placing it on any suitable piece of ground.
Nov 18, 2017, 09:13 AM
As the debris in a landfill decays, methane gas is generated. Placing fabric on the ground will likely trap the methane gas resulting in a hazardous condition that could result in an explosion. The club I belong to (Valley Aero Modelers) uses a landfill as a flying site. To build a clubhouse with a concrete floor we had to get permission from the landowner (city of Appleton). To do that it was necessary to place perforated pipe beneath the concrete to vent the gas. Check with the landfill site owner before proceeding.
Nov 18, 2017, 03:58 PM
The fabric lets water through, therefore methane will not be trapped.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is the depth of the cap sine you will be setting hundreds of stakes. The owner will know if that is an issue or not...
Nov 19, 2017, 11:05 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Our site is on a landfill. The response was a big fat NO for fabric. The reason was due to the grass under the fabric being killed.
Latest blog entry: Gravitationally Challenged
Nov 20, 2017, 05:49 AM
AMA 1242

run way

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
Our site is on a landfill. The response was a big fat NO for fabric. The reason was due to the grass under the fabric being killed.
Don, I agree we just put down US FABRICS AERO MODEL FABRIC. We asked if we had to put on weed killer & then till & fill & grade. The company said no just roll & install, "ALL GRASS & WEEDS WILL DIE UNDER IT ". We are in the middle of a farm field with crops on 3 sides , so weed killer was a no-no.
Nov 21, 2017, 08:27 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyhank
Don, I agree we just put down US FABRICS AERO MODEL FABRIC. We asked if we had to put on weed killer & then till & fill & grade. The company said no just roll & install, "ALL GRASS & WEEDS WILL DIE UNDER IT ". We are in the middle of a farm field with crops on 3 sides , so weed killer was a no-no.
I would verify with the manufacturer that there is no crop killer embedded in the fabric. Even a mild one could spell the end of a nice flying site.
Nov 22, 2017, 05:05 AM
AMA 1242

g

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
I would verify with the manufacturer that there is no crop killer embedded in the fabric. Even a mild one could spell the end of a nice flying site.
We will check on that, But I think it is the same reason if I put down an outdoor rug under my camer awning the owners of the campground s most times get upset! Because in 4 days the grass turns yellow under it. And they are open weave .
Nov 22, 2017, 09:36 AM
The process plants use to produce energy required to remain alive is called photosynthesis and requires light. Without adequate light, plants will die; outdoor rugs and rubber mats deprive them of the required light. Hence, grass under an outdoor rug or a rubber mat will wither and eventually die.
There is no need to imbed crop killer in the mat; the mat is the crop killer.
Nov 30, 2017, 04:05 PM
ʇsol
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ
Don't know if we could install a fabric runway on the landfill....Any clubs out there that have installed a fabric runway on a landfill ????
Ours is - and has been for years, without issue. The grass prior to that made it almost unflyable.

Click to enlarge...
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018

Quick Reply