Jan 05, 2018, 10:37 AM
Brent Lytle
Thanks! You’re definitely not being a jerk. I am aware if the very recent firmware update... I chopped my pins, wedged it in my DLG and pulling it all apart again doesn’t sound as fun as flying. I don’t paricularily need it to be high resolution, as +/- 5 ft would be fine and the old firmware seems to be better than that by looking at the plot. The actual resolution seems to be approx 2’ as near as I can tell.

I have another one... I’ll update the firmware on that one before I install it.... Then I’ll hate the old one.

As far as the antenna discussion. I love the newer shorter antennas! I ranged pretty far out and never had a link issue. I happen to like what it did to the natural placement of where they went in my fuselage. Are folks really having issues, or is a perception? I plotted the RSSI from a recent flight and it seemed on par with the D4R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B75Driver
Brent,
Not to be a jerk, but you might benefit....there was a firmware update that came out on DEC27: https://www.frsky-rc.com/g-rx8/
This is the firmware note: "Change the calculation mode of the Vspeed for the G-RX8 and it works as same as the FrSky Vrimometer Sensor – High Precision."

On the RCGroups Radio forum/ G-RX8 thread, there have been some mixed results on the fix. But my impression is that there is some improvement. When I get back to the States, I plan to do the FW update.
Last edited by blytle; Jan 05, 2018 at 10:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2018, 09:57 PM
I am also having Vspd and Alti issues. Vspd seems to lag way behind and the altitude seem about 10 meters low. I have found the firm update from a link in this thread but I can not find instructions on how to update the firmware on a G-RX8. Can anyone provide me with instructions or links that describe how to update this radio
Jan 10, 2018, 10:11 PM
I have found videos on updating the X series receiver. Not specifically the G-RX8.
I need to create a special cable with the + and - inverted . Plugs into the back of radio and into the S port... please confirm this... the videos are good as long as they apply to the G-RX8.

Also, can anyone confirm that the firmware fixed all the issue related to the altimeter?
Jan 10, 2018, 10:52 PM
Will fly for Bourbon
The latest firmware works well. It will drift until it warms up then it's fine. We have tested for accuracy against the high precision and it is almost identical. You reverse the + - but watch the video to make sure you get it right, also the cable that plugs into the G-RX8 is different than the other cables as the negative is on the outside of the block.
Jan 11, 2018, 12:40 AM
I' ve got a plane to catch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSkyout
The latest firmware works well. It will drift until it warms up then it's fine. We have tested for accuracy against the high precision and it is almost identical. You reverse the + - but watch the video to make sure you get it right, also the cable that plugs into the G-RX8 is different than the other cables as the negative is on the outside of the block.
Good to know about the plug on the RX... Mine is on its way, but I'll have to check probably which firmware is in it.
Did some X4R's before , so I'll need to modify that flashcable.
Jan 24, 2018, 06:39 AM
Frsky sneaked in some more FW dated 29/12 this time to replace the 27/12

On mine it's a instant improvement, Vario tones seem faster and after warming up little to no drift on Altitude.

That's about as scientific as my tests go, sorry. But definitely try the new FW out guys.
Jan 24, 2018, 09:44 PM
I did the firm wear update and it is working well.
You need to make sure you plug into the smart port… And not the SBus

On most of the demo videos for the other receivers and devices the firmware is connected to the Sbus. This is not the case for this receiver.
Jan 26, 2018, 11:51 AM
Jesper Frickmann
Hi Dave,

I found these instructions for how to flash:
https://oscarliang.com/flash-frsky-rx-firmware/
Is that how you did it? Otherwise, you need to show me some day! Maybe we can fly next weekend?

Jesper
Jan 27, 2018, 04:41 AM
These are good instructions. look forward to flying next weekend my friend.
Jan 27, 2018, 09:29 AM
Charles Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by overmyhead
Aloft strongly recomends to only use digital servos with this receiver but I have a couple planes with analogs already installed anybody have luck with them?
I have a DLG with two Dymond D47 servos. Using the G-RX8, they would occasionally and spontaneously only achieve half their max travel, only to be fine afterwards. That happened several times over the course of three hours. Didn't bother to troubleshoot further, and replaced the RX with a D8. It'll go into a full-digital-servo plane.

Jan 27, 2018, 10:45 AM
Don't forget the first lot of fw made these rx's come out the box set to 9ms, you had to manually change it to 18ms yourself.

Latest fw has changed that so they are now 18ms (or there about's) stock out the box.

May not play nicely with some analog servos at the higher frame rate.
Feb 04, 2018, 05:45 AM
After upgrading the firmware to the FW-G-RX8-171229 (170922 too), Alt and Vsp sensors stopped showing. Upgrade made via Sport QX7with supplied wire.
Binding and discovering sensors after upgade did.
Now frsky-rc site down, cant dowload old firmware . (((
Yeah, I broke the old good rule - it works then do not touch?
Feb 04, 2018, 11:43 AM
Is telemetry enabled on the receiver? I think it is toggled on/off by holding down the bind button after it has been powered up (but check the manual)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Quinine
After upgrading the firmware to the FW-G-RX8-171229 (170922 too), Alt and Vsp sensors stopped showing. Upgrade made via Sport QX7with supplied wire.
Binding and discovering sensors after upgade did.
Now frsky-rc site down, cant dowload old firmware . (((
Yeah, I broke the old good rule - it works then do not touch?
Feb 04, 2018, 12:01 PM
problem solved.
Need just hold per 3s FS button for enable/disable pressure sensor.
I read instructions to the receiver for a long time and completely forgot about it. (((
Feb 15, 2018, 04:37 PM
Has anyone used this receiver successfully with the DJT module (JR) and its external display?

Quick Reply