Dec 22, 2017, 07:22 AM
New FW now out for this rx which apparently makes it as accurate as the High Precision Vario.

Well, it fixes the lag supposedly, not sure about the Altimeter accuracy.

https://www.frsky-rc.com/g-rx8/
Last edited by i_am_mark_evans; Dec 22, 2017 at 07:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2017, 09:28 AM
Subliminal User
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
New FW now out for this rx which apparently makes it as accurate as the High Precision Vario.

Well, it fixes the lag supposedly, not sure about the Altimeter accuracy.

https://www.frsky-rc.com/g-rx8/
Problem, when clicking on the d/l for today's dated file, it pulls up the previous version.
Dec 22, 2017, 09:51 AM
plays with toy planes
Thread OP
Am I missing the instructions on how to flash new firmware? And do you need the SBUS pins for that? I bet 90% of these that went in DLGs are missing those pins already.
Dec 22, 2017, 10:39 AM
I'm not too educated on Frsky stuff but don't you flash rx's from either the module pins on a X9D or the smart port on the bottom of the QX7, all to the smart port on the rx?

Oh and turns out the new FW file is correct, it's incorrectly labeled when you download it but once you unzip the files the correct FW is in there.
Dec 22, 2017, 10:57 AM
Blind Hawk
You can flash using your X9D, instructions here - http://www.dronetrest.com/t/how-to-u...4r-x4r-sb/1667

IMPORTANT - read and note that the connecting cable used is NOT in the standard servo configuration. Be sure to make a cable for this use.

Rj
Dec 22, 2017, 11:49 AM
check the pin out on the G-RX8 smart port too, the minus and AIN look swapped on the G-RX8 compared to say the X4R
Dec 22, 2017, 12:41 PM
Will fly for Bourbon
Ho, Ho, Ho! There is a Santa! Now let's see if we got a bag of rocks or that shiny new toy!?
Dec 22, 2017, 01:31 PM
Don't get too excited, someone on the G-RX8 thread already just tested it and the Altimeter still seems to be reading low.

Looks like only the Vario lag was fixed for now.
Dec 22, 2017, 02:29 PM
Will fly for Bourbon
Great, just tested it and it's the dreaded bag of rocks. Had the high precision plugged in for testing and the onboard is still low, oh well.................
Dec 23, 2017, 01:30 AM
plays with toy planes
Thread OP
Bummer. Thanks for checking it out.
Jan 05, 2018, 02:49 AM
Brent Lytle
Perhaps I just got lucky... I bought mine in November, no firmware updates. Recently played with turning the altimeter on and logging. I made a switch position that resets the altimeter. If you look closely, I reset the altimeter at sample 2600 (after my second launch) but then had no need to re-zero the sensor after that. I think I throw to about 140', so I assume it is fairly accurate. I'll buy more.
Jan 05, 2018, 03:03 AM
Brent,
Not to be a jerk, but you might benefit....there was a firmware update that came out on DEC27: https://www.frsky-rc.com/g-rx8/
This is the firmware note: "Change the calculation mode of the Vspeed for the G-RX8 and it works as same as the FrSky Vrimometer Sensor High Precision."

On the RCGroups Radio forum/ G-RX8 thread, there have been some mixed results on the fix. But my impression is that there is some improvement. When I get back to the States, I plan to do the FW update.
Jan 05, 2018, 03:46 AM
Adam
I use a LUA script for DLGs (I modified it to be a Widget for Horus) that keeps track of launch heights and announces launch height. On throw, it calculates the launch height based off of the height before the launch. No need to reset altimeter height. It displays a nice GUI showing the previous launches. The logs still show the original drift but you can figure out launch height manually of course when you look at the graph on the PC. The algorithm uses a behavior that is seen on launch of DLGs that is probably not there with a powered sailplane launch so it likely won't compensate properly if you don't use a DLG. Part of that unique behavior is that there is a very slight dip in height right before the launch BTW.

I will finally have a new to me (used) DLG that I will be putting my G-RX8 in soon in about a week or so. I will see if I can get a high speed vario in it too for testing but this is a very narrow fuse DLG (Arctus) so I don't know if I will be able to fit it in too or not yet.

My G-RX8 is one of the free ones and might be different revision of hardware than the current shipping models? I finally got some longer antennas for the G-RX8 so that they are the same length as the X4R so that they reach where I want them to. I don't know if they changed the length of the antennas in newer shipments (I hope they do). That was part of the feedback I gave them.

I plan to update to the latest beta software so I will be able to test it again soon. My previous DLG that I put the G-RX8 in was broken shortly after installing it (my kids stepped on it :/) so my testing was abruptly stopped when I got the G-RX8 awhile ago. I can't wait to test the G-RX8 some more.
Jan 05, 2018, 04:16 AM
Are the 1/4 wave antennas a big improvement over the 1/5th ones it comes with? Still got one sitting on the bench with a brand new QX7 (about my 6th attempt with Frsky) although I find when the rx and radio are close together I get a lot more telemetry lost warnings than I ever did when I tried Frsky in the past. Like A LOT more, to the point it's worrying.
Jan 05, 2018, 10:25 AM
Subliminal User
Quote:
Originally Posted by blytle
Perhaps I just got lucky... I bought mine in November, no firmware updates. Recently played with turning the altimeter on and logging. I made a switch position that resets the altimeter. If you look closely, I reset the altimeter at sample 2600 (after my second launch) but then had no need to re-zero the sensor after that. I think I throw to about 140', so I assume it is fairly accurate. I'll buy more.
Brent, neat trick w/ resetting the altimeter with an assigned switch. How did you do this? TIA

Quick Reply