Nov 18, 2017, 01:22 PM
It is interesting to me that with the ability to see a plane in lift the vario is a bit redundant. Funny though since I flew full scale for a lot of my life I became so used to hearing the tones that now when I fly RC not having the sound it is like Oreo's with out milk. I do get a pavlov's dog response to the lift tones for sure.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2017, 02:37 PM
Adam
FYI... faichoice option on OpenTX 2.2.0 for Horus will be implemented in 2.2.1 when that is released. I believe regular faimode firmware option works (which just disables it completely after firwmare update). Faichoice option isn't in the menu on Horus yet though until 2.2.1.

It is already merged so whenever 2.2.1 comes out.
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues/4991
Nov 18, 2017, 04:26 PM
Aloft strongly recomends to only use digital servos with this receiver but I have a couple planes with analogs already installed anybody have luck with them?
Nov 18, 2017, 07:23 PM
I just use the vario tofor launch setup tuning and launch practice with the launch height and max z axis speed on launch (although I don’t think the FrSky works for the latter since mine always tops up at 10.1m/s)
Nov 18, 2017, 08:26 PM
Adam
The new vario built into the G-RX8 supports higher max m/s for vertical speed. The external varios from FrSky top out at 10.
Nov 18, 2017, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa
The new vario built into the G-RX8 supports higher max m/s for vertical speed. The external varios from FrSky top out at 10.
That's great news! I found that very useful on the JR sensor.
Nov 18, 2017, 10:20 PM
plays with toy planes
Thread OP
Mine arrived today. With the S-bus in/out pins and Ch6 removed and the existing case reinstalled: 5 grams, 45x18x5mm. That's crazy. Hope it works!
Last edited by barry d; Nov 19, 2017 at 01:00 PM.
Dec 15, 2017, 01:08 AM
plays with toy planes
Thread OP
As it turns out, neither of my two have accurate varios either.

Do we know that this is an issue that FrSky is working on? An updated, accurate version of this Rx/Vario combo would be awesome.
Last edited by barry d; Dec 15, 2017 at 02:02 AM.
Dec 15, 2017, 07:51 AM
Can it fly? I'll try and see!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry d
As it turns out, neither of my two have accurate varios either.

Do we know that this is an issue that FrSky is working on? An updated, accurate version of this Rx/Vario combo would be awesome.
accurate in their determination of climb/sink or their altitude readout? both? What is your experience with it?
Dec 15, 2017, 09:52 AM
plays with toy planes
Thread OP
Mine are like the others that have made it to the Seattle area -- wildly variable readings that are plus or minus up to 4 meters. Standing below ground. Or holding the model up overhead to find it's almost three stories in the air.

I imagine it's still useful for larger models, but for DLG where the main function (for me, anyway) of an alt is to dial in my launch a couple of feet at a time, it's nowhere near accurate enough. I've benched them both and am back to the slightly heavier, bulker, messier (but yay accurate!) XR4/precision vario combo.
Last edited by barry d; Dec 15, 2017 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo
Dec 15, 2017, 07:29 PM
Will fly for Bourbon
Like Barry said, the altimeter is pretty much no good. We have been testing and it's off by 15-20 feet on launch. Reads way low. Hope they can make a firmware patch to fix it. Really had high hopes for such a compact package.
Dec 15, 2017, 10:29 PM
I noticed the same thing on my newest ship with this receiver /altimeter- I normally can launch 50-55 meters on my other two dlg ships- mine is reading out 38 meters on launch and its always 38 meters - not 40 / not 30 but 38 meters-really weird.

I use the x4r-4 and high precision altimeter in my other ships and they are reading 50-55 meters on launch.
Not sure what is going on- I initially thought i was not used to the new ship and my launches were low- not the case.

I hope there is a fix on the way- I really like the simplicity of this new receiver/ altimeter combo.

Jack.
Dec 16, 2017, 06:32 AM
I'm not a Frsky user but do like to read the threads to keep up with what's happening. Seems in the Radio thread for this rx everyone is finding out the same thing, that the Vario is not very accurate and also has a bit of a delay. The high precision vario Frsky makes seems bang on.

Strangely, posts from someone called Andrea from Frsky have gone very quiet too, no one has responded from Frsky to say they are working on fixing it or anything. I have one of these rx's on the way too from when i did have a QX7 and was gonna try it out. Don't think i'll be holding onto it just incase i did ever try another Frsky radio again.
Dec 16, 2017, 11:13 AM
Will fly for Bourbon
Maybe they can't do a firmware patch to fix them and they have to recall the whole batch? Makes you wonder why they are so mum about it.
Dec 19, 2017, 12:49 PM
Jens Hoffmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSkyout
Maybe they can't do a firmware patch to fix them and they have to recall the whole batch? Makes you wonder why they are so mum about it.
IT seems more like a fault in the barometer, measuring the airpressure. cheap ones !!!

Quick Reply