Nov 16, 2017, 09:02 PM
plays with toy planes
Thread OP
Discussion

FrSky G-RX8 Rx + Vario: Experience?

I'm excited to get my hands on a pair of these soon.

Has anyone flying these removed the S-bus in/out and Ch7 on the opposite end for DLG use? They seem like they're in the way, wouldn't be used, and it's a little long in the first place.

Any other feedback or advice?
Last edited by barry d; Nov 16, 2017 at 11:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2017, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry d
I'm excited to get my hands on a pair of these soon.

Has anyone flying these removed the S-bus in/out and Ch7 on the opposite end for DLG use? They seem like they're in the way, wouldn't be used, and it's a little long in the first place.

Any other feedback or advice?
Hello , I just built my new Stream NXT using that reciever. I removed the unused pins on the end of the reciever. I just snipped them off flush.

Flew all day last weekend and did not get one RSSI warning!!

All my other ships have the x4r-4 receivers with the frsky altimeter stripped down and
piggybacked to the x4r - I could always count on a few rssi warnings with the xr4 set up when I got above 120 meters and downwind.

The new reciever was perfect with no RSSI warnings at over 190 meters when I flew two days ago.

I love the fact that this one has a built in altimeter- and once you remove the end pins itís acually smaller than my x4r / altimeter piggy backed setups. It provides a Nice clean neat installation .

From now on this will be my reciever choice for DLGs.

Thanks , Jack
Nov 17, 2017, 10:36 AM
Blind Hawk
I have one. I clipped some of the pins and de-soldered the last three on the board to remove it.

Flew it last weekend and as a receiver it works great. The altimeter though is out of whack. Gives erroneous altitude readings like I'm -28' when I land and the vario tones are not accurate. Not sure if I "damaged" it removing the pins but it's possible.

Of course I didn't use/test it before removing the pins and now the vendor tells me it's "out of warranty" due to the modification......

Another local flyer had one working fine and then it just went "dead", no lights, nothing.

More on order but so far haven't had the greatest success with them.

Rj
Nov 17, 2017, 10:51 AM
Sounds like it may be the way you telemetry is set up - I use the JFrickman DLG program and it works perfectly- I used to have the same issues with incorrect altitude read outs with my old program .

The jfrickman program fixed all that .

Jack
Nov 17, 2017, 11:26 AM
Blind Hawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackspt28
Sounds like it may be the way you telemetry is set up - I use the JFrickman DLG program and it works perfectly- I used to have the same issues with incorrect altitude read outs with my old program .

The jfrickman program fixed all that .

Jack
I'm pretty comfortable with setting up the altimeter, done several over the last few years. I double checked and all looked correct but there is a chance I've missed something.

Rj
Nov 17, 2017, 11:57 AM
In the J.F frickman program the altimeter is reset eveytime the launch switch is pulled.
Nov 17, 2017, 01:03 PM
Blind Hawk
Mine as well.
Nov 17, 2017, 09:13 PM
Mine has been working well... but I notice the altitude drifts a bit.. ~10ft over the course of an hour. I am using Jesper's program too, I wonder why it's not getting reset? I have been resetting the telemetry manually and that has been working.

When I replaced the xr4 with the gxr8 i actually had to add a small amount of foam to keep it from moving around as it is narrower and is able to go more forward in the nose as well (this is in a go-mini). Very happy with the rx overall
Last edited by cjpace; Nov 17, 2017 at 11:17 PM.
Nov 17, 2017, 09:25 PM
I'm going to need to get a couple to try out... sounds much more convenient.
I need to work out how to do the FAI mode on TX though for contests. My X10S' are on the way too... I love frsky's new toys.
Nov 17, 2017, 09:26 PM
Can it fly? I'll try and see!
I have one in my Vortex 3 and like it so much that I ordered a second. I carefully de-soldered the 9 pins for SBUS +CH7 to make it nice and small, then I soldered a JST pigtail onto it for power. I have no complaints at all. The vario / altimiter while using Jesper's program seems more precise, and mroe sensitive than my X4R + High precision vario.
Nov 17, 2017, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
I'm going to need to get a couple to try out... sounds much more convenient.
I need to work out how to do the FAI mode on TX though for contests. My X10S' are on the way too... I love frsky's new toys.
FAI mode, where vario is disabled? There's not really a way other than in the tx tell it that the sensor doesn't exist / tell it vario source is null.
Nov 17, 2017, 09:30 PM
The Grx8 that I am using works fine and I like it. The one I am using has a delay of at least a second slower than my x4r with the separate vario but I am not concerned for the most part as the delay only annoys me 2 times during a flight 1/ when at the top of launch hearing the up tone while transitioning is odd as well as 2/ after landing still hearing the down tone . I think this is a bad out of box issue and will order another one which I hope will solve the latency.

I also have to manually reset it when I turn on the rx for the first time to normalize the vario and stop it making constant up tones initially. I am going to upgrade to OpenTx 2.2 and I will see if that changes anything.

So other than some latency and a need to reset which I think is just a faulty unit that I will replace all is good. What I like the most is the size / extra channels and lower weight.
Nov 17, 2017, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane67
FAI mode, where vario is disabled? There's not really a way other than in the tx tell it that the sensor doesn't exist / tell it vario source is null.
Richard Swindells says there's a firware with FAI mode that will disable it, I think he was using that at the Worlds. My only concern is with the built-in vario at a contest even if it's disabled it might make other pilots uncomfortable.
Nov 17, 2017, 10:11 PM
solastagia
There was a FAI mode, but I don't see how to get into it in 2.1.9:

http://open-txu.org/glossary/fai-mode/

Supposed to be a FAI Mode, and a FAI Choice mode:

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=3838

Kevin

Edit: I see it in Companion under Settings/Settings, in Radio Profile, Build Options. You can choose FAI Choice (which allows you to select FAI mode at the field), and FAI mode, which locks it in FAI mode until you re-load the firmware.
Last edited by kcaldwel; Nov 17, 2017 at 10:26 PM.
Nov 18, 2017, 12:16 PM
Honestly, I don't like flying with the vario beeps anyway.. I prefer letting my eyes judge whether I'm in lift or not, I do better that way. I might change my mind in a bigger model than a DLG but for now this is the only size sailplane I fly.

Quick Reply