Hoodoo 72" 4D Stunt Glider Builds - Page 2 - RC Groups
Nov 19, 2017, 03:59 PM
It's time for me to fly
Nice paint.
Last edited by JimZinVT; Nov 19, 2017 at 10:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2017, 08:44 PM
average user
It seems as though the schnozz is too short as I'm adding a less than acceptable amount of nose weight. Good thing I have 4 more wing sets. The AUW should be less than 20 ounces with nose weight, the plane with carbon and two layers of laminate feels very strong.
Nov 21, 2017, 12:38 PM
average user
here we go again...

most people don't know this but you can actually glue the tip of your finger you just sliced off right back on with ca glue. It helps to stop the blood leaking all over the shop.

I am taking a break from setting up the purple/green hoodoo and moving on. For some reason one of my ailerons doesnt want to move down more than 20% or so.
Last edited by mr.zagi5c; Nov 21, 2017 at 10:42 PM.
Nov 22, 2017, 08:31 PM
average user
Purple Hoodoo linkages and radio all set up. Balance point where I think it goes but I'm often surprised. Buzzilla balanced at 65% away from LE.

workin on the canopy plug now

I couldnt find a block of balsa big enough so I laminated some layers of 3/8" together.

an hour or so sanding with various tools including a paint stick turned sanding block and some sealant and then some more sanding and I'll be good for the first second try at a canopy.
Last edited by mr.zagi5c; Nov 22, 2017 at 08:39 PM.
Nov 22, 2017, 11:28 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Looking good! Keep it up

I like the new direction you're going with these designs. I can't wait to see you fly them!!
Nov 24, 2017, 01:50 AM
average user

canopy, electronics, removable tail

canopy turned out okay. try, try again but I ran out of plastic. I'm happy with what I got. after the paint and detailing it should look just funky enough. I seem to be having trouble getting the plastic to stretch evenly - probably because of the sharp curve at the top rsther than the consistently round shallower curve on most canopies.

more work but seems like jim's tail solution is the best bet so I went with it.

got the fuse electronic bays cut and servos installed, battery and rudder servo hatches are accessible in case theres a need to replace them, elevator servo will pop out as well.

the fuse uses stronger carbon in the back and is tapered so theres less drag but retains the same durability and rigidity as with a thicker rear end.

It would be nice to.internalize the linkages but for weight reasons I dont want to make the fuse too fat. I will think more about this and look at different AMT setups.

happy thanksgiving everybody.

I'm thankful to have a job after such a rough year and a roof over my head, and a shop to build the planes I owe.
Last edited by mr.zagi5c; Nov 24, 2017 at 02:21 AM.
Nov 25, 2017, 04:44 PM
average user

paint

bill wanted an orange sunburst

looks about right ??
Nov 25, 2017, 06:04 PM
average user
hmmm.
Nov 25, 2017, 10:35 PM
average user
aannnd almost there
Nov 26, 2017, 05:47 AM
Wow, that plane looks great!
Nov 26, 2017, 11:24 AM
average user
waiting on some servo extensions mr. bill

told you you were getting an upgrade

p.s. the masking for the sunburst is best applied without sweaty hands for the narrow bits. use dish soap to wash them to work better with the tape. Headaches might be unavoidable.
Last edited by mr.zagi5c; Nov 26, 2017 at 12:56 PM.
Nov 27, 2017, 11:01 PM
average user

cardboard case mini build log

it seems a plane this nice and packable deserves a carrying case.

almost there

This plane is done aside from linkages and servo extensions.

My goal is to almost completely eliminate setup for people receiving planes, with the removable wing and stabilizer it is possible to test fly and tune each one before they're sent out.

It would be cool if there was a cheap, small radio capable of snap flap mixing to make it a pre-tuned pre-programmed rtf package.

Next up is Mo from Motown's purple base with red and white checkers. I already had a fuse and wing set completed for his order pre-armageddon, however after seeing how much better these new versions look I'm going to put one together for him. I'm going to build it just like this orangie here.
Last edited by mr.zagi5c; Nov 28, 2017 at 12:22 AM.
Nov 28, 2017, 12:26 AM
average user
and here we are

disclaimer: red paint definitely goat blood or something and not dollar tree finger paint

adding some eps foam to hold parts for shipping, box is sturdy.
Nov 28, 2017, 07:22 PM
average user
third time is the charm.

this one is for mo.

rsther than trying to mold perfect canopies ill cheat a bit. I think it will look even better.

I used a homemade hot wire to taper the fuselage.

I also found some boxes these will fit into that can be modified into carrying cases like the one I built in the previous post. It'll be nice because I can set up all of the linkages so its truly receiver ready. This way there are no setup problems outside of the radio program.

I figure it will only be matter of time before somebody makes a small 2.4 ghz handheld programable via smart phone. Would be cool in the $50 range & the size of an xbox remote.
Last edited by mr.zagi5c; Nov 28, 2017 at 07:35 PM.
Nov 28, 2017, 10:17 PM
average user
canopy turned out pretty good! looks rough now and the shape seems wrong but it will clean up after I add laminate and trim.
have to stop here for lack of carbon. good time to clean the bench. Should know better than to try waiting on the post man during the holidays.