Hoodoo 72" 4D Stunt Glider Builds - RC Groups
Nov 16, 2017, 05:15 PM
average user
Build Log

Hoodoo 72" 4D Stunt Glider Builds

This is a build log for a plane that can't fly straight.

Please don't copy or redistribute the design. It is the result of severe mental illness combined with 20 years of passion for toy gliders. Please don't ask me for plans, I dont have any. I don't have templates, each part is drawn and shaped by hand.

The goal is to make a plane that is capable, packable, cool looking, and totally receiver ready.

edit: I'll include photos of finished planes on the first post here and maiden videos.
Last edited by mr.zagi5c; Dec 12, 2017 at 02:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2017, 05:22 PM
average user
I made this tail.

It's full flying with a tube in a tube. Need to figure out how to lock the halves on

I know there's a way somethin about square peg and round hole idk
Nov 16, 2017, 06:29 PM
average user
Ah there's the canopy.

Looks a little gooey
Nov 16, 2017, 08:01 PM
It's time for me to fly
This is how I did a removable madstab on my Fishray. The stab "stubs" stay on the plane, the rest slides off, small carbon pin keeps them aligned.

or was that a rhetorical question?
Nov 16, 2017, 09:38 PM
average user
nice jim ! thankyou, I'll probably try something similar.

I have on the table a rough canopy, and a 2.5 litre bottle of fruit punch. I'm gonna put the fruit punch in a toaster oven and hope it heats evenly.
Nov 16, 2017, 11:19 PM
average user
my toaster oven plan didnt work. the plastic heated unevenly and shrunk, and actually broke the wooden frame I made to hold it taught. whaddyaknow.

i had a canopy from an old termite infested balsa trainer I found at a yard sale, cut it to size and molded it to shape with a lighter and my fingers.

anybody want to make 20 or so canopies ? trade you a plane. I havent got a vacuum setup or a big enough oven. or maybe there are some other canopies available for other planes I could buy & hack n' slash? I'm crazy about the look of a nice clear canopy.
dimensions for canopies im looking for about 1.5" wide, 4" (or less) high and 6-9" long
Last edited by mr.zagi5c; Nov 17, 2017 at 03:49 AM.
Nov 16, 2017, 11:58 PM
average user
figured out how to lock in the removable tail. not recommended for planes experiencing higher loads than this one - carefully cut slot through outer and inner tubes with a diamond dremel wheel and inserted piece of pvc gift card plastic that can be removed to disassemble the whole thing. of course this weakens the tubes but I dont believe it weakens them enough to worry. only on one side of the stab to make it simple, the other half has the tube glued in slightly. in the event of major breakage the inner tube can be removed with some twisting action.

this is poltruded rod and the technique would be safer with wound bidirectional tubing.

anyway not much more I can do until carbon, laminating film, and electronics arrive from aloft hobbies tomorrow. I plan to make the linkages for this plane less obtrusive than the buzz as it has a wider fuselage and more room for burying.

Working on MoTown's plane and Bill Fitz' as well, thank you guys for not hunting me down with a vengeance while I was struggling for a roof!
Last edited by mr.zagi5c; Nov 17, 2017 at 12:07 AM.
Nov 17, 2017, 01:24 AM
average user

too early for a bench fly?

never.

these wings are massive.

they use a new secret sauce airfoil combo that should prove more pleasurable for most pilots, by retaining the inverted characteristics while softening the point and shoot nature of a fully symmetrical airfoil.

This means the plane should fly itself a little more, so that the pilot isnt always trying to find that slightly nose down attitude required for air speed.
Last edited by mr.zagi5c; Nov 17, 2017 at 02:20 AM.
Nov 17, 2017, 02:40 AM
Piscine Promulgator
That thing looks badass!
Nov 18, 2017, 03:53 AM
average user
today after work I installed electronics in the fuselage - elevator, rudder servos, battery hatch + battery pack, and the receiver bay.

I also drilled the hole for the rear joiner/incidence pin in the wings, added balsa end caps, and installed the aileron servo plugs for the removable wings. The rear joiner hole was drilled with sharpened brass tubing, checking every few turns for alignment.

Next I will be covering everything in a layer of gorilla brand's new spray glue.
Last edited by mr.zagi5c; Nov 18, 2017 at 04:01 AM.
Nov 19, 2017, 08:05 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
For the canopy , go to the beach , or river and find a stone that resembles the shape your looking for.
Stick it in a bottle and use a hot gun to shrink.

Not much you can do to break a stone with as plastic bottle and a heat gun

cool plane
Nov 19, 2017, 09:16 AM
yeah.....I like it too
Nov 19, 2017, 03:13 PM
average user
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief
For the canopy , go to the beach , or river and find a stone that resembles the shape your looking for.
Stick it in a bottle and use a hot gun to shrink.

Not much you can do to break a stone with as plastic bottle and a heat gun

cool plane
brilliant! however I think I wilo take the time to shape a balsa plug to get exactly the shape I like.
Nov 19, 2017, 03:27 PM
average user

name

yeah so as usualky happens with my build threads I get far too excited and work into the wee hours of the night

So I covered evsrything in gorilla spray glue & then covered everything in the desired thickness of laminate, then I sanded that entire layer of laminate, masked it off, painted it with krylon & testors metallic spray paints (2 coats, light as possible, waiting 20 mins in between)

and then covered again with another layer of laminate. This process isnt for the faint of heart as applying one layer of laminate is probably my least favorite part of building, let alone two.

After that I cut out the ailerons, fully encapsulated them in laminate as well as the bare trailing edge of the wing. This is important as it provides torsional rigidity. If even one 1/4" edge of a part is lacking in film or adhered film, it will be too easy to twist.

I found once covering was applied that the trailing edge shrunk slightly, leading to a gap at the root where rhe wing slides on, which I will remedy by adding onto the root cap with extra balsa. I have notices this is practically unavoidable when the epp gets very thin back there however it does not contribute negatively to flight performance from what I can see, especially since the warp is not twisty in nature.

I hinged the ailerons using the over/under jacob's lsdder technique, if the picture is analyzed closely you will notice the lack of an aileron bevel on either side of the wing. I am fortunate enough that with the airfoil combo I chose I can get away with hinging the ailerons like this because the leading edge of the aileron isnt thick enough to cause slop.

There are still some finishing touches, like hot glue fillets where the wing and horizontal stab go in, and installing aileron servos and linkages all around.
Last edited by mr.zagi5c; Nov 19, 2017 at 03:58 PM.
Nov 19, 2017, 03:34 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Name ?

From the thread title - its gotta be...

Sloopy !

Hang on in there

Phil.