Jan 16, 2018, 07:59 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Way back when i first got my Viking, i HATED it. It was many, many sessions over several months before it was dialed in and became my favorite plane ever (except for the slightly long 3m span).
Hang in there Miguel, and do yourself a favor and write down everything in a log...throws, cg, etc, documenting changes to prevent possible repeats of adjustments.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2018, 10:44 PM
Building gliders aaagain...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc James H
Hey Lucky, I think Miguel is far from having the right setup so far but having said that I'm sure he'll get it pretty fast.

Once the CG is in his preferred spot I'm sure the camber and reflex will all be coming.

By the way this section is VERY responsive to reflex.

I have a very scientific method of setting it up.

I put a rule or a straight edge at the back and raise the control surface until the rule touches the TE, then touches the wing surface forward of the hinge, and finally the the hinge itself - 3 points. By that time the TE will probably be reflexed about 1.5mm (1/16")

Works perfectly.

Doc.
Cool Thx
Feb 10, 2018, 09:02 PM
bayagliders.com
I have to say but for me 100mm is the right cg with elevator being in the neutral position and dive test being neutral.
Feb 20, 2018, 11:02 PM
Just starting to look for a slope plane... I see good deals on the schwing but it's retail is about the same as a storm bird. Can someone compare the planes.... should I take the soaringusa deal 30% off a schwing... or pay the 650 for a storm bird.... any thoughts?
Feb 20, 2018, 11:08 PM
bayagliders.com
For that price get Schwing
Feb 21, 2018, 02:32 AM
Morologus es
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfreestyler
For that price get Schwing
Miguel is probably right there, Dave.

Schwing is a good allrounder and is larger than the Stormbird which will give it a bigger flight envelope at the low wind speed end.

Its slower but is more versatile to conditions.

Cheers,

Doc.
Feb 21, 2018, 06:20 AM
I love my Schwing.
Mar 26, 2018, 07:52 PM
I still haven't started building my Stormbird, but I got a Schwing Corsa kit from Wayne on Friday, built it over the weekend, and maidened it today (Monday). The only issue I had was that I didn't add quite enough nose weight (nose tucks down in a dive).

The two are very close in design, with just the much bigger wings on the Corsa. The flight characteristics of the Corsa are really nice, precise, smooth and it doesn't bounce around at all.
Mar 27, 2018, 03:29 AM
Morologus es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircogi
I still haven't started building my Stormbird, but I got a Schwing Corsa kit from Wayne on Friday, built it over the weekend, and maidened it today (Monday). The only issue I had was that I didn't add quite enough nose weight (nose tucks down in a dive).

The two are very close in design, with just the much bigger wings on the Corsa. The flight characteristics of the Corsa are really nice, precise, smooth and it doesn't bounce around at all.
I think you will find the Stormbird a tad more responsive and agile but the 'Corsa is no slouch.

Doc J.
Apr 16, 2018, 03:18 PM
I finally built my Stormbird. The romier fuselage was much easier to work in than the Schwing.

I maidened it Sunday at Coyote HIlls in 32 mph winds and it was great!

For the first flight, I put the CG at 95mm, and I'm going to be moving it back more. It still zooms more than I like in a dive and takes a fair amount of down elevator when inverted.
Apr 16, 2018, 04:50 PM
bayagliders.com
Exactly, its not entirely cured at 100mm but becomes better.
May 08, 2018, 12:12 PM
bayagliders.com
So, I had the opportunity to fly the Stormbird in the company of Doc James Hammond with a ton of planes in the air and lighter to medium conditions and I felt that the Stormbird flew very well considering the conditions. I constantly switched from normal to thermal settings to gain a little more height to do some aerobatics. I have to revisit my thermal settings as I might have a bit too much. I believe I just eye balled it.

I also had a spectacular mid air with a plane that was foam but had a steel leading edge. The wings were all carbon and the sine wave spar was intact. This would have easily delaminated the wing on a RCRCM plane so I think all things considered if you're considering the value equation if you buy a Typhoon, make it a carbon and add shipping it's $640.00. The Stormbird costs 650 from Aloft and is better made and not to mention a better flying plane.

Also NEVER use monokote trim tape, it's very difficult to remove once on. Doesn't like to peel off like auto wrap vinyl and come off in little pieces
Last edited by funkyfreestyler; May 08, 2018 at 12:18 PM.
May 08, 2018, 12:24 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircogi
I finally built my Stormbird. The romier fuselage was much easier to work in than the Schwing.

I maidened it Sunday at Coyote HIlls in 32 mph winds and it was great!

For the first flight, I put the CG at 95mm, and I'm going to be moving it back more. It still zooms more than I like in a dive and takes a fair amount of down elevator when inverted.
Must have just missed you at Coyote. I left before 3 as I was getting cold and tired after flying for a couple of hours in very high wind, gusty conditions. I didn't see any of usual locals. Congrats on your maiden.
May 08, 2018, 12:25 PM
Rotor rider
I shopped around and was able to pick up a new carbon Typhoon for just under $500 total price shipped. It was the last one they had and were not restocking it so I got a little better deal.
May 08, 2018, 12:37 PM
bayagliders.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailhigh
Must have just missed you at Coyote. I left before 3 as I was getting cold and tired after flying for a couple of hours in very high wind, gusty conditions. I didn't see any of usual locals. Congrats on your maiden.

It wasnt a maiden but it was just as nerve racking and it was at Sunset Beach

Quick Reply