Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 26, 2017, 11:57 AM
Building gliders aaagain...
Looks good. Keep going...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2017, 12:47 PM
bayagliders.com
So ran into a little issue with linkages, the small black mpjet plastic clevis aren't going to work as they're just a little too big. So the progress will stall a bit until I find the right clevis. Going to try 2-56 clevis as I already have the threaded rod and metric rod is a little harder to source.
Nov 29, 2017, 07:06 PM
Firecracker!
Ready to glue in my wing servos now, but I'm not quite sure how to proceed. There are 4 things that have to happen. In what sequence is the question.

1. Drop the servo + frame and pushrod into the opening.
2. Connect the clevis to the horn.
3. Put glue underneath the servo frame.
4. Turn on the TX and servo and position the servo at either max or min. Or you can use a servo driver to set the position.

Once all these are done, you can weight and/or tape the servo in position, turn off the power, and let it cure.

It would be really great if I can get the sequence above to work. The problem is, how do you get glue underneath the servo frame, especially under the aileron servo. There is almost no room. My other idea is to put the glue on first, then drop in the servo. Glue goes everywhere then probably.

Matt, you must have some magic here! How did you do that??
Nov 29, 2017, 07:42 PM
bayagliders.com
I put glue on frame first, then position frame, attach clevis. In my case I glue in frames first and then do the linkages but your linkages are special.

I would double check you have no issues with linkage to aileron and flaps. I would test connect everything up to make sure and use a clamp to or a finger to see if everything works. Perhaps you already did this.
Nov 29, 2017, 08:14 PM
I have done several builds with the servorahmen ids system. Nice system but unforgiving.

I would recommend the following order of your steps: 4-3-1-2
Nov 29, 2017, 08:56 PM
Firecracker!
Thanks guys, the voice of experience is best! 4-3-1-2 sounds good to me. I will connect the clevis as a dry run as you suggest Miguel. It will be a pain though. The horns are kind of thick, and this skews the clevis pin pretty far off 90 degrees so it doesn't want to go through the hole.
Nov 29, 2017, 08:59 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
A painful dry run is better than a sloppy wrong, permanent one!
Nov 30, 2017, 01:17 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader
A painful dry run is better than a sloppy wrong, permanent one!
Wise words!
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Nov 30, 2017, 09:45 AM
Building gliders aaagain...
Quote:
Originally Posted by curdman
I have done several builds with the servorahmen ids system. Nice system but unforgiving.

I would recommend the following order of your steps: 4-3-1-2
4-1-2-3 that's the sequence I used.
Last edited by LuckyStriiike; Nov 30, 2017 at 06:54 PM.
Nov 30, 2017, 03:28 PM
On the Go Fly List
Make sure you turn off the power of your RX before the TX; or you may get some wild servo movement.

My two cents.

Enjoying this thread. Lots of helpful and very detailed tips. The part I dread the most is cutting a servo linkage exit hole in the top skins for under/over linkage set up.

Adam
Latest blog entry: New Arrival.
Nov 30, 2017, 10:24 PM
bayagliders.com
Part of the reason I suggested putting everything together is due to the aileron flap horns are not correctly aligned to easily attach a pin or clevis. I was able to grind enough around edges of clevis to muscle the linkage in but on the flap it will not fit. I am going to try and put a little relief into the flap horn blister to see if it will fit.
Nov 30, 2017, 11:01 PM
Are the horns pre-installed in the control surfaces on this model?

(Such a critical step)

The mpjet black plastic clevis is very nice. The clevis doesn’t have to be spread apart to make the connection. Just have to press in the pin (holding a strong magnet nearby). Can save enlarging openings and make for clean/strong installations.
Nov 30, 2017, 11:25 PM
bayagliders.com
Yes horns were pre-installed by Aeroic. I had to grind a lot of the clevis to even get close and the mpjet plastic ones were a little too wide on the wing blister and would have been compromised by grinding on the pin area.

I did a similar install on as to the one that goes through through the wing on my mini vision and a metal template to cut holes making it a lot easier. I also used black mpjet
Dec 01, 2017, 11:54 AM
bayagliders.com
So I got one wing done with the linkages. I had to open up hole (more like square the bottom) because it was grinding a little and also I had to dremel around the flap horn as the epoxy mixture that the horn was set in was too high causing binding and not letting flap go deeper.

For the flap, I slightly bent pushrod to get a little more flap. I could get more flap at the expense of less up flap for coupled airlerons/flaps.

Also once satisfied add some CA to the threads it will take out any slop in threads.
Last edited by funkyfreestyler; Dec 01, 2017 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply