Oct 17, 2019, 01:17 PM
Douglas Buzby

thanks Ole slope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole slope
Hi Doug, what is EPA? It stands for ‘end point adjustment’, which is the maximum throw desired at the control surface when the stick on the tx is at full movement.

Normal or cruise mode: the trailing edge of the wing (ailerons/flaps) are in line with the wing’s aerofoil section.

Reflex: the ailerons/flaps are moved upwards by usually a small amount (1 to 2mm)) to change the wing’s section to make it fly faster. Most glider aerofoils have undercambered sections to provide good lift, but can be made faster in flight by using reflex mode which essentially removes the undercamber altogether.

Thermal/climb mode: the ailerons/flaps are lowered slightly to increase the undercamber, creating a ‘liftier’ wing section.

Snap flap: the ailerons/flaps move in opposition to the elevator. Up elevator = down wing trailing edge and vice versa.

Hope this helps! Cheers
It helped a lot! Thank you!

DwB
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2019, 01:43 PM
Douglas Buzby
Quote:
Doug, the Stormbird is a ‘hot ship’ only really suitable for experienced slope pilots. If it’s the first model you’ve bought to fly off the slope, please put it aside until you’ve learnt the black art!
Get yourself a foamie, then fly it to death!
Its been many years since I was out on the slope. But I am not new to it. I started with thermal ships. I think it was an Oly 100.
The best day I recall on the slope was 50 mph steady, leaning into the wind so hard that if it had suddenly stopped I would have tumbled down the hill.
That was flying a Jaguar. I WILL be flying other models I have before the Stormbird goes up. Thanks, Ole slope.
Oct 17, 2019, 02:08 PM
Aha, I got the impression you were a complete rookie! Sorry about that.

Welcome back!
Oct 19, 2019, 02:21 PM
Douglas Buzby
Quote:
Aha, I got the impression you were a complete rookie! Sorry about that.

Welcome back!
Thanks! I try to write my questions to sound as though I know nothing, that way I get the most info!
It isn't meant to be deceptive.

Quick Reply