Dec 18, 2017, 06:43 PM
I bought the MZ-24 PRO when first released and never regretted it.

I gave my early non-pro MZ-24 (bought to replace my aging SD-10G which gave good service) to a cash strapped friend who needed a decent radio. He loves it so much he has paid for the PRO firmware upgrade.

I will buy the MZ-32 immediately it is released for general sale.

Support from Openhobby/Graupner USA is always prompt, and has been from the start; unlike some highly fancied radio sets previously named.

Graupner are building trust. The array of radios and accessories is outstanding, and sell for prices that are less than I would expect.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2017, 02:25 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Still lurking... and I have another question. The 24 Pro comes with 3 receivers. One is a GR16L which is 8 channels and the other 2 are GR12L and 6 channels... but have only one antenna. Are these full-range receivers? Having a lot of experience with 2.4 and higher frequencies in my old life... before I retired... the single antenna gives me pause.
Dec 19, 2017, 02:44 PM
No bounce, No play.
The single antenna Rx would be considered Full Range. The only thing that extra antennae do with 2.4 is give you an additional path for the signal in case something like a big battery gets between the Tx and the Rx. On smaller models where you typically run 6CH Rx's it is less likely to be an issue, one antenna is often just fine.
Dec 19, 2017, 03:39 PM
Jack,

Most sailplane pilots use the GR16L when it will fit (even the DLG guys). The 12L is full range, but the diversity is limited due to the single antenna. I use it in my F3K models, but only because I can't fit the 16L.

Tom
Dec 19, 2017, 05:22 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Thanks Tom!
Dec 19, 2017, 06:49 PM
Darth Graupnerman...

Buy the Graupner!! Ive been a Futaba guy for 36 years. Love them. A lot. Quirks and all. Got a 24pro recently in a trade. Took me 3 months only to sell my Futaba stuff. The Graupner is more intuitive, feels really good in the hand and I like the support. Plus, firmware upgrades always available for tx, rx etc. Lipo in tx. Switches just very positive.

Ian
Dec 19, 2017, 07:10 PM

6 Ch Receiver

The literature with the single aerial 6 channel receiver supplied with the MZ-24 sets states a range of up to 2 Kilometres 'line of sight'.

I have flown an 84 inch span Old Timer nearly out of sight with the receiver installed, and never had an issue.

I would call it a full range receiver. In any event, the receiver strength telemetry built in to it has your back
Jan 03, 2018, 11:01 AM
I'm seriously considering the MZ 24 or pro for my next radio. One item that concerns me is the operating temperature range listed as 50F on the low end. I often continue flying well below that point. Is there any real difference that could contribute to that rating? Is Graupner just being excessively cautious? My old radio claimed it was good below freezing.
Jan 03, 2018, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan-
I'm seriously considering the MZ 24 or pro for my next radio. One item that concerns me is the operating temperature range listed as 50F on the low end. I often continue flying well below that point. Is there any real difference that could contribute to that rating? Is Graupner just being excessively cautious? My old radio claimed it was good below freezing.
I live near Chicago. Its been negative degree Farenheits all week.
I've accidentally left my radio in the car outside on several occassions during the winter where it has gotten quite cold. Proceeded to use it right away with no ill effects, so I wouldn't worry about the temp warning. Its a solid radio and once you get the flow of how the programming is thought out it is extremely capable. I really like mine (moving from Spektrum) as it has been rock solid RF link and great features and support.
Jan 03, 2018, 11:34 AM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
Good thing I never read that part in the manual lol. I've been flying in 18 -20 degree weather the past few weeks. I usually grab a plane, mz24, put a couple lipos in my pocket, and walk to the soccer field across the street. After 2 batteries, fingers are numb anyway.
Jan 03, 2018, 11:42 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience-- that sounds pretty similar to what I'll subject it to. I usually don't fly below 20.
Jan 03, 2018, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM
Good thing I never read that part in the manual lol. I've been flying in 18 -20 degree weather the past few weeks. I usually grab a plane, mz24, put a couple lipos in my pocket, and walk to the soccer field across the street. After 2 batteries, fingers are numb anyway.
Yeah that temp warning is news to me too lol!!

Seriously though its a great radio, if you have any other questions on it this is a great place to ask.
Jan 03, 2018, 12:34 PM
Actually, on more careful reading the temp range in the manual says -10 Celsius. The specs on the website I was looking at omitted the negative. 14 is a big difference from 50.
In any case, I appreciate the actual experience of fellow cold- weather flyers!
Jan 03, 2018, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan-
Actually, on more careful reading the temp range in the manual says -10 Celsius. The specs on the website I was looking at omitted the negative. 14 is a big difference from 50.
In any case, I appreciate the actual experience of fellow cold- weather flyers!
No worries!! Its a great radio, you really will like it.

Stay warm!!
Feb 03, 2018, 10:42 AM
You might get what you pay for
I'll be getting the MZ-24 Pro soon as Tower gets them in. I have 4 Spektrum radios and one Futaba that will be getting sold soon as I get the new radio. I have a Graupner X-8N that I use for my big gas boats and 5th scale truck. Blew away the Futaba and Airtronics I used to use, so they've been sold off. Keep it coming Graupner!!

Quick Reply