Feb 10, 2018, 06:18 AM
Hi Chris.
Sorry to hear of your issues. I think your original problem may have been head plate which was preventing the blades coning enough under load. . I use the double plate Steve described on this size of model and at rest the blades droop more than yours in the previous photos which could mean your plate is much stiffer. In fact I use a round plate which just touches the 3 edges of the main plate bolted underneath the main ones to limit the downward droop and stop blade strikes. By reducing the disk area on your last flight you are effectively making the plate even stiffer but compensating by a heavier nose at which point you ran out of back stick. You may therefore find that going back to the original setup just provides the nose up motion again. I would either make a more flexible plate or make the head plate out of existing material but make it bigger. More blade tip weight could also help here. Other thing I have found is that plates of polyester glass fibre are more flexible than epoxy glass and react differently. .

Like you I have spent many hours experimenting and one of my original gyros (cooler) was rebuilt 8 times before I got it to fly.

Sorry to ramble but I know how frustrating this is.

Keep going

Graham
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2018, 08:58 AM
Thread OP
I agree, the blade size maybe should be matched to the model weight but plate flex is critical ... too stiff on my Whippit was a disaster

Pm your address to me Chris and we will send you some presents

Steve
Feb 10, 2018, 07:18 PM
Thank's again for your input gent's silly old fart like me needs all the help he can get these days.
It never crossed my mind to fact that you would be using any other than epoxy board...but the simple fact is that manufactures would find it just to costly.
Good news is that I was able to get the PA-36 up and flying after its prang and I was using a very small disc that I did not expect to fly . so more testing soon I hope ..but we are going through some pretty hot conditions at the moment and just to hot to get out in the sun.
Steve ...PM sent present for me ? .... that must be my late 73 birthday present.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Feb 11, 2018, 10:22 AM
Thread OP
No problem Chris.. I will get Tim to 3D print you a head too and you can give it a try

Steve
Feb 12, 2018, 06:12 PM
Wow That sound great to me ...thank 's a lot.
Chris...
Feb 13, 2018, 07:20 AM
Thread OP
Sure no problem will get 2 sets made :

1 triangular plate 0.8mm & 1 at 0.4mm with 0.8mm circular anti strike plate

Hope it helps

Steve
Feb 13, 2018, 10:04 PM
That I should have such a friend....................
Feb 14, 2018, 04:08 PM
Thread OP
Here you go Chris ... one their way..

Steve
Feb 15, 2018, 03:57 AM
SOOOOOO
I wonder who has just become my "second best friend".
Happy Landings
Chris...
Feb 17, 2018, 03:15 PM
Thread OP
Package on its way Chris

Steve
Feb 17, 2018, 03:30 PM
Be careful Chris, we may all just turn up for a GyroNut fly in. Ha ha ha. I could do with a bit of sun on my back right now. The missus is just getting over the Aussie flu. Ran me ragged for a week.
Feb 17, 2018, 07:12 PM
Aussie flu ??? ...never come across that one down here...we get Asian flu in this part of the world.
Feb 18, 2018, 10:56 AM
Thread OP
Yep apparently if you get it you are not sure which way is up !!!! Ha ha !!

Steve
Feb 18, 2018, 06:56 PM
Last edited by britinoz; Feb 20, 2018 at 05:22 AM.
Mar 06, 2018, 09:10 PM
Post man came today......
Nice looking parts..... make my ones look as if they were carved out by a cave man.
Steve...I appreciate you kindness...I really do ...Now considering that I am using the same size blades as you...what is you recommendation for discs.Should I use all three or just the round disc and the thick one.
Chris...

Quick Reply