Nov 15, 2017, 09:58 AM
Really?
Thread OP
Discussion

Fisker solid state lithium batteries

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fiske...130000111.html

This could be a game changer for a lot of things, including RC of course.
Nov 15, 2017, 11:32 AM
My first thought is, yeah sure. But hey, who knows.
Nov 15, 2017, 01:57 PM
Pardon me while I hold my breath
Nov 15, 2017, 04:37 PM
The technology is legit. The question is, is it ready to be mass produced and will it be cheap enough yet.

Solid State Batteries For Electric Cars: A New Breakthrough By The Father of the Lithium-Ion Battery (8 min 4 sec)

Toyota says five years to go:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bertels.../#1cc91cd44bb0
Nov 15, 2017, 04:45 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Lets start anticipating them being used in cars... say five years after they are widespread in cell phones and the like... IMO

plenty of lower hanging fruit for this breakthrough.
Nov 15, 2017, 04:49 PM
Definitely a breakthrough. Exciting possibilities

There was a member here that is no longer with us who claimed battery tech was at its end and unless we discovered some new elements, electric cars were not viable. If you are still lurking, I told you so
Nov 15, 2017, 04:55 PM
Never say never. I would love to see a two fold increase in energy density without compromising weight, cost, size, safety or charge cycle reduction. But these things seem to get press all the ti8me and then..... nothing.
Nov 15, 2017, 05:07 PM
Great ! That will really explode if it goes into thermal runaway.
Batteries can & have been made several times more powerful. With a really nasty explosion if it fails.

Oh well
Nov 15, 2017, 05:16 PM
After a couple hundred or so lithium batteries I have had/have, the only ones that went poof was one that had a carbon rod driven in to it, and one I dropped off the roof for the 10th time.

But if this new tech results in bigger booms, I am all in.
Nov 15, 2017, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
Batteries can & have been made several times more powerful. With a really nasty explosion if it fails.

Oh well
Canít be any more dangerous than a tank full of gasoline
Nov 15, 2017, 08:40 PM
Closed Account
What I am more interested in, is this high recharge rates.... how do they think to get the infrastructure for that? I mean, that are serious current surges if you want to recharge 400 miles worth of electric energy in a few minutes....
Nov 15, 2017, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post

Oh well
Nov 15, 2017, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
What I am more interested in, is this high recharge rates.... how do they think to get the infrastructure for that? I mean, that are serious current surges if you want to recharge 400 miles worth of electric energy in a few minutes....
That's a lot of wire.

And if the charge rate is greatly increased, so would the discharge rate. No? Careful soldering those connectors.
Nov 15, 2017, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
I'm totally ignorant about things electrical but couldn't a house supply be used to trickle charge a big capacitor then the car is plugged into the capacitor, maybe once a day, to get the high charge rate?
Nov 15, 2017, 09:26 PM
Greediest Suer
Julez will know what to do.

Quick Reply