Electric conversion of Nitro Trainer - Page 2 - RC Groups
Dec 13, 2017, 04:20 PM
Sydney- Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man
Looks like an old OK Pilot QB 20H. These were good kits and made good flyers. .
You are spot on! Yes its is QB 20H .. ..thanks for the hunch.

I managed to download the old plan for this plane and according to the plan the CG is located 6.4cm of the leading edge which is the mean AR. (MAC is 20.8 cm) . That seems too far forward as the calculated NP is 10.4 cm (from leading edge) . when I calculated the CG with 10% static margin I get 8.3cm ! so the CG of 6.4cm gives 20% static margin.

back in the day were they designed to fly with large static margin ? So should I go with what it says on the plan or my calculations ?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2017, 01:44 AM
Sydney- Australia
I started the conversion and managed to remove the fuel tank and engine mount with the nose wheel.

Then I hacked the firewall to cut a window for the battery to slide out just incase the battery needs to be on the nose for correct CG.

Removed the old throttle push rod & guide.

I glued a new firewall further up the nose.

I had to use the old engine mount as the nose wheel shaft is attached to it. I cut the top bit off as it obstructs the battery window. I had to mount it lower on the original firewall and secure it also to the new firewall for extra rigidity.
Dec 31, 2017, 01:50 AM
Sydney- Australia
Motor was installed and removed the old pushrods & replaced them with CF pushrods
Jan 03, 2018, 03:22 PM
Sydney- Australia
Installed 3 large GWS servos . Linked the steerable nose wheel to the ruder servo and it works great!
Jan 03, 2018, 03:35 PM
Sydney- Australia
connected the 4000mah lipo , 50A ESC and FrSky RX . Tested the system and everything worked well. Installed a 1045 prop and taxied around on the deck. I was surprised how easy it to control & turn with a nice small turning radius compared to tail draggers. :-)

Its almost ready to fly , just need to tidy up few things like securing the battery , ESC and Rx. CG is set to about 6.5cm for now and see how it goes.

Below is a video of taxing.

Pilot QB 20H high wing trainer (nitro) electric conversion (4 min 4 sec)
Jan 03, 2018, 04:04 PM
No bounce, No play.
Yup, you have lots of steering angle for the nose wheel. Might be a bit jumpy at speed.
Jan 03, 2018, 05:52 PM
Just keep in mind that you will not need a great amount of travel for the nose wheel.
And remember to land on the mains first.
Jan 03, 2018, 06:24 PM
I just want to go fly!
Nice. Watt meter is s great tool to have. Eliminates guessing.
Jan 03, 2018, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd
Nice. Watt meter is s great tool to have. Eliminates guessing.
Absolutely! By all means for any serious electric flyer especially if you are converting planes to electric. Most of the time with foamy ARF electrics, it isn't needed because everything is all set to go.
An Astro Flight Watt meter was one of my first pieces of equipment when I began to fly electric. And...there were no foamy ARF/RTF available back then.
I converted a Sig LT-40 to an Astro Flight 25G and 16 round cells. Flew fine even when pushing the 25 G to 45 amps.
Jan 03, 2018, 11:13 PM
Sydney- Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
Just keep in mind that you will not need a great amount of travel for the nose wheel.
And remember to land on the mains first.
to land on the mains is the challenge as I'm used to landing tail draggers ....still not happy with my landing....never consistent!
This is my 1st tricycle wheel model .....so it will be a learning curve to master the landing !
Jan 09, 2018, 03:57 PM
Sydney- Australia

Maiden Flight

Today I did the maiden flight and it flew beautifully. It was my 1st time flying a plane with tricycle landing gear and was little bit tricky during the take off as I tend to over steer the nose wheel. It was bit windy bu the plane was stable and didnt need any trimming either. It felt little bit nose heavy (CG at 7cm) specially during landing as nose wheel touched down 1st . I'll try with CG further back next time,

Pilot QB 20-H high wing trainer maiden flight after electric conversion (6 min 35 sec)
Jan 09, 2018, 07:03 PM
No bounce, No play.
Nice. Yeah, turn down the nose steering. I go a bit tail heavy to help slow down and come in a tad nose high. Just moving a bit at a time to find the sweet spot is the perfect excuse to need to go flying.
Jan 09, 2018, 08:42 PM
Plane like this trainer should balance at the main wing spar.
Jan 29, 2018, 02:56 PM
Sydney- Australia
EKEN H9 FPV on Pilot QB-20H RC plane at George Kendall Riverside Park (9 min 29 sec)
Jan 30, 2018, 09:13 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Well done asanga. I'm starting to get the bug to do a conversion. One of my flying buddies has a trainer he has offered to give me if I'll electrify it. I don't know the model, but it looks around a 48 inch wingspan and is well built.
Will definitely post pics and specs for the bird to this forum. There is tremendous talent here that can help me work out the requirements for electrification.

Quick Reply