Nov 14, 2017, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raumagent
But why no onboard SD card slot then?
No idea. I connect mine to top side connector. works with osd. No problem here. share between ALL quads
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2017, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedorComander
No idea. I connect mine to top side connector. works with osd. No problem here. share between ALL quads
Yea but it still requires an external logger device and I wouldn't call that "simple" in any way. At least not in 2017. And following the Flyduino release cycles, this is what we have to deal with for the next three years or so.
Last edited by raumagent; Nov 14, 2017 at 08:51 AM.
Nov 14, 2017, 08:53 AM
no onboard SD card and OSD
Nov 14, 2017, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CeMan
no onboard SD card and OSD
I second that
Nov 14, 2017, 09:30 AM
I agree. Onboard OSD is standard now. I hate having to wire in a minimum osd and stash it somewhere, especially in a race build. Space is limited. For $77 US I would have expected it to have built-in OSD and a PDB!!! Hell why wouldn't Kiss benchmark their competition? The Betaflight F3/F4, and CLRacing F4 boards all have those as standard features now... Especially since Kiss has released new escs that require power... Doesn't make sense. Its like this board was designed a year ago and is already behind the standard...
Nov 14, 2017, 09:30 AM
I would have preferred an SD card reader or an onboard flash chip rather than extra UART's. With so many peripheral options out there that do more and more, the FC needs to do less, but having some form of integrated logging should have been put in. I'm also not convinced that F7 chips are that much of an improvement over what we're currently flying on F3 chips...so meh on that aspect.

It's nice that the motor PWM layout has changed, so that's a huge improvement on form factor, nice job! It also looks like the post holes are larger and electronics (like LED's) are situated such that they're not going to get snagged by a hex nut.

One of the things that keeps my from converting my Alien to BF is the simplicity of the KISS system, and the fact that the adaptive filter just flat works. No enabling a dynamic notch, checking for hot motors, changing the filter type, checking for hot motors, turning off the gyro notch filters, checking for hot motors, turning off the d-term filter, checking for hot motors. For the love of quad though, please give me more than 4 AUX choices in the GUI!

The price of the v2 FC (and the 32A ESC's) will absolutely preclude me from converting until it's impossible to source v1 boards and 24a ESC's. I'm just not going to pay $173 for a new FC and 4 new ESC's. Flyduino has always had a brand tax to it, and it's delivered for the most part to the point where it justifies the cost. I could maybe see paying for the higher power ESC's, but not the FC - Sorry guys, you missed big on this one.
Nov 14, 2017, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyduino
F7 FPU, MPU6000 via SPI, DS2400, 6s, CP2102, more UARTs, better layout...
That list is actually really sad/underwhelming. I doubt anyone but the fan base will buy this (at the current price tag).
Nov 14, 2017, 10:11 AM
TeamPilot fpvracing.ch
I dont understand this...

Why the heck would you have a sd card reader on the fc??? Just put some onboard flash memory on it, that would have been nice...!

And for what ever reason is everybody wanting an integrated pdb?
When you want a small build, you go with a 4in1 esc anyway, and then you DONT need a pdb...
Never!

And whats that all about this useless OSD's?
Yeah I just tried a Fortini with OSD... It's nice, but thats just it.
Every cam has an osd with voltage. Thats all you need..
And the settings I can do with the BF OSD are also possible with a LUA script...

So just keep it simple guys!
Nov 14, 2017, 10:37 AM
Well I've gotta say I like the new board layout. Always liked the board shape and pad layout so glad that's stayed basically the same. I've never not once used Black Box to date for tuning, never needed to so don't really care about that. Onboard OSD would've been nice but I have a feeling that's being saved for another project and honestly adding my own OSD is quite simple anyway. Overall this is still simple, and simple is good IMO. Plus it will be fairly simple to convert V1 quads over to V2 if you want. I don't see the V1 going anywhere anytime soon tho... Nice job on this guys
Nov 14, 2017, 10:48 AM
Well

as we dont want and dont have 6 different FC's wich offer different combinations of what who wants, we choosed to keep the FC very basic, but doing these basics well!

the F7 was choosed because it offers flexible peripherals like the F3 (uart inversion and such) and is eaven faster then the F4. alex (FedorComander) already got use of the extra power with its improved adaptive filter. which again makes things simpler. the most setups will fly very nice without any extra tuning or notch filter settings as it does it itself.
the FC has 4 very fast and strong output drivers which will ensure a clean Dshot signal on the ESC's and also the ESC's signal ground has a very low imperdance connection to the FC's lipo gnd which keeps the return path clear which results in a 6 layer PCB.
As we do closed source, we must protect our FW. And as some of you might know, this is the reason for the dfuse pain with software updates on windows with the FCv1. to make updates work easy with any OS and the GUI, we added a USB-UART chip and programmed our own F7 Bootloader.

if you think back to 2015 where the FCv1 was released, we choosed the F3 there where 95% of the other flight controller was still using the F1 chips. this made it possible to come up with so many new things like RX telemetry, Dshot and the adaptive filter where none could think of at that time. now the FCv2 is just released, but offers the latest HW. and we do have some things in the pipeline which will make use of it

regards

Felix
Last edited by juuuut; Nov 14, 2017 at 10:56 AM.
Nov 14, 2017, 11:20 AM
RC-Works.com
Does the V2 will have finally the Jeti EX bus working? don't need black box or osd just Jeti telemetry.
Nov 14, 2017, 11:27 AM
Ouch....I think you guy's picked a bad day to introduce the new board!
Nov 14, 2017, 11:46 AM
Copper Copter
Quote:
Originally Posted by th67ss
Ouch....I think you guy's picked a bad day to introduce the new board!

I am actually considering going KISS, but valid question:

why no OSD?
Nov 14, 2017, 12:04 PM
I'm excited to see this, but bummed about lack of OSD. I know not everyone cares about an OSD, but a lot of us do. Really its the only way to take advantage of all the cool telemetry data you can get from the KISS ESCs.

I also think that having the OSD built into the FC goes a long way into keeping it simple (not the other way around) - its less stuff to mount & wire.

This is starting to sound like a rant, which I don't mean for it to be... I just wanted to give some feedback on what I was hoping for and why.
Nov 14, 2017, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juuuut
Well

as we dont want and dont have 6 different FC's wich offer different combinations of what who wants, we choosed to keep the FC very basic, but doing these basics well!

the F7 was choosed because it offers flexible peripherals like the F3 (uart inversion and such) and is eaven faster then the F4. alex (FedorComander) already got use of the extra power with its improved adaptive filter. which again makes things simpler. the most setups will fly very nice without any extra tuning or notch filter settings as it does it itself.
the FC has 4 very fast and strong output drivers which will ensure a clean Dshot signal on the ESC's and also the ESC's signal ground has a very low imperdance connection to the FC's lipo gnd which keeps the return path clear which results in a 6 layer PCB.
As we do closed source, we must protect our FW. And as some of you might know, this is the reason for the dfuse pain with software updates on windows with the FCv1. to make updates work easy with any OS and the GUI, we added a USB-UART chip and programmed our own F7 Bootloader.

if you think back to 2015 where the FCv1 was released, we choosed the F3 there where 95% of the other flight controller was still using the F1 chips. this made it possible to come up with so many new things like RX telemetry, Dshot and the adaptive filter where none could think of at that time. now the FCv2 is just released, but offers the latest HW. and we do have some things in the pipeline which will make use of it

regards

Felix
So the only real advantage of this board is the F7 chip? But there are other FCs coming out that are also F7 AND offer a better board layout and feature set, for less money. And your software is not even ready to take full advantage of the F7. I also wonder how you wanna attract new customers with this pricing?

Overall this release really makes me question if KISS is still the way to go for me.

Quick Reply