Feb 26, 2018, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequadon
Hi guys,

Is it possible to use this little camera as FPV live cam and a HD recording cam at the same time? I mean it is possible to get the AV signal out from the USB port and hook it on a transmitter while HD recording is on? Another coool stuff could be to power it from a BEC and remove the little battery from it.

I would like to use it on my WingWing Z84 but it could be used on any micro quad.
You can connect the USB to the pc to get TV out. I think it is not AV out as there is no sound transferred. The problem you will have on a micro quad is the latency issue if using for a fpv live cam.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2018, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkleWid
You can connect the USB to the pc to get TV out. I think it is not AV out as there is no sound transferred. The problem you will have on a micro quad is the latency issue if using for a fpv live cam.
I've just connected it to TV with its native 8-pin-USB-to-Video-out cable. Interesting thing - it transmits video signal all time it is powered up, not only when it's recording. According to 8-pin USB pinout - Vout is pin 7. So, virtually one can open case, solder two wires to pins 7 (Vout) and 8 (gnd) on the board - and get a video out like in fpv live cam. It's quite laggy, though.
(upd) also, I tried some extreme stripping. Without case it weights 7.3 grams. Without case and battery (provided we connect it to main 1S battery, downside is loosing of correct timestamps) - only 3.5g!
Last edited by johnnie_pr; Feb 26, 2018 at 06:26 PM. Reason: update
Feb 27, 2018, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnie_pr
I've just connected it to TV with its native 8-pin-USB-to-Video-out cable. Interesting thing - it transmits video signal all time it is powered up, not only when it's recording. According to 8-pin USB pinout - Vout is pin 7. So, virtually one can open case, solder two wires to pins 7 (Vout) and 8 (gnd) on the board - and get a video out like in fpv live cam. It's quite laggy, though.
(upd) also, I tried some extreme stripping. Without case it weights 7.3 grams. Without case and battery (provided we connect it to main 1S battery, downside is loosing of correct timestamps) - only 3.5g!
Thank you for your effort! I did not find any proof of the A/V out is working.
What pinout did you followed? Please share it with us.
Is there audio out also on one of the pins?
You mentioned it's laggy. I would like to use it on my wing, it's not so latency sensitive as a miniquad. Can you make a little video of the A/V out on a TV and do some latency test? I would appreciate a lot!

update: Can you confirm A/V out is active while recording HD? I read a review on GB which says its did not work while recording.

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by Sequadon; Feb 27, 2018 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Update
Feb 27, 2018, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Thank you for your effort! I did not find any proof of the A/V out is working.
What pinout did you followed? Please share it with us.
Is there audio out also on one of the pins?
You mentioned it's laggy. I would like to use it on my wing, it's not so latency sensitive as a miniquad. Can you make a little video of the A/V out on a TV and do some latency test? I would appreciate a lot!

update: Can you confirm A/V out is active while recording HD? I read a review on GB which says its did not work while recording.

Thank you in advance!
google brought me this page on my request for "8-pin usb camera pinout"
I don't have USB cable with Audio out (only yellow video jack) - so I cannot check if sound output is wired too
I made a little video with stopwatch - also it confirmed that Vout works while recording. Just a shot from it - shows about 200 milliseconds latency
Name: sq12-latency.jpg
Views: 144
Size: 75.0 KB
Description:
A some more things to notice.
First (don't know, maybe someone mentioned this earlier) - when you connect it to PC with SD card aboard - it works as flash drive. When you connect without card - it works as webcam. When you connect it to charger (ie only 5V through USB, no data connection) - it powers up and begins recording.
Second - it was misfocused out of the box. Easy fix - disassemble, connect to TV or PC in webcam mode, and unscrew lens to the position with sharpest image. It is somewhat glued - so the initial movement needs some force to be applied.
Last edited by johnnie_pr; Feb 27, 2018 at 05:11 AM. Reason: minor update
Feb 27, 2018, 07:21 AM
Quote:
I made a little video with stopwatch - also it confirmed that Vout works while recording. Just a shot from it - shows about 200 milliseconds latency
Attachment 10764651
First (don't know, maybe someone mentioned this earlier) - when you connect it to PC with SD card aboard - it works as flash drive. When you connect without card - it works as webcam. When you connect it to charger (ie only 5V through USB, no data connection) - it powers up and begins recording.
Second - it was misfocused out of the box. Easy fix - disassemble, connect to TV or PC in webcam mode, and unscrew lens to the position with sharpest image. It is somewhat glued - so the initial movement needs some force to be applied.
Thank you! I really appreciate it. Latency is significant (FPV and HD cam latency test) , but maybe suitable for a high flying plane.

First:
This little camera can be a dashcam, so that's why is begins recording as it gets powered externally. If it's powered from a cigarette lighter adapter in your car than you don't need to start the recording every time, just start the car and the camera is rolling. Also assume it keeps recording for a couple minutes after external power is off.

Second:
It's mentioned in this video description too.

Also a nice lens mod:

SQ12 Stock Lens vs Lens Mod (0 min 46 sec)

Looks better with the modified lens.
Feb 27, 2018, 12:26 PM
wow, 1.8mm lens makes a big difference. going to try this! thanks!
Mar 05, 2018, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Thank you! I really appreciate it. Latency is significant (FPV and HD cam latency test) , but maybe suitable for a high flying plane.

First:
This little camera can be a dashcam, so that's why is begins recording as it gets powered externally. If it's powered from a cigarette lighter adapter in your car than you don't need to start the recording every time, just start the car and the camera is rolling. Also assume it keeps recording for a couple minutes after external power is off.

Second:
It's mentioned in this video description too.

Also a nice lens mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbTsgfjJ1-4

Looks better with the modified lens.
Really nice lens mod which I shall have to try. In the meantime I am relying on Adobe to correct the colour (example below)

Cheapest HD Camera on a sub 250g ViFly drone: SQ12 Modified vs SQ12 Original Raw Colour Review (1 min 16 sec)
Mar 08, 2018, 02:46 PM
I got one of these today. Tried to charge it but noticed it was getting really warm. When I tried to power it up, I'd get a blue light come on briefly and then go out. I was only getting the red flashing charge light occasionally. Even when the red flashing came on it would only last a couple of seconds.

Have contacted banggood about it.
Mar 08, 2018, 03:11 PM
Hi - does anyone have a scanned copy of the manual? We have been doing some moving around and somehow mine became mislaid.

Thanks
Mar 09, 2018, 10:44 AM
X2 Elf Freestyle with a SQ12 on it (1 min 20 sec)

A new Video with the mod I did to the SQ12.

Is it normal to have these black spots in the sun? Or is it a setting?
Mar 09, 2018, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutster
https://youtu.be/8LI3P7JXZWA

That's Black Hole Sun An effect you get totally free with simple/cheap sensors It's just how they react to massive over-exposure.
Mar 10, 2018, 06:37 AM

SQ12 - Night Through Day Performance Testing

Did some more flying with the SQ12, this time starting in the dark before sunrise and flew a few flights all the way through daylight. The FPV camera used is the Foxeer Night Wolf V2:

Quelima SQ12 - Night Through Day Performance w/Foxeer Night Wolf V2 (8 min 33 sec)

-Dustin
Mar 17, 2018, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutster
https://youtu.be/8LI3P7JXZWA

No mod but using Cinematic Mode to good effect on Adobe

Cinematic Drone Racing (London, UK) - SQ12 HD Camera Modified Smooth Blended Frames (sub 250g drone) (2 min 20 sec)
Mar 19, 2018, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredle
Hi - does anyone have a scanned copy of the manual? We have been doing some moving around and somehow mine became mislaid.

Thanks
My little camera arrived today. Here you are! I hope it's clear and readable.
Mar 20, 2018, 04:50 PM
Quote:
google brought me this page on my request for "8-pin usb camera pinout"
I don't have USB cable with Audio out (only yellow video jack) - so I cannot check if sound output is wired too
Attachment 10764651
So is it possible to use this camera with an eachine atx03 for basic fpv even with some soldering?
Thanks!!

Quick Reply