SQ12 Quelima Mini 1080P Camera **Owners Thread** - Page 4 - RC Groups
Feb 23, 2018, 06:50 AM
I found videos from my SQ12 was of very poor quality. I was hoping for true 1080p, but it seems like 720 combined with a poor CMOS sensor and poor encoding. I thought this was a H264 camera - so why is MJPG encoding being used?

I wouldn't be surprised if these cameras were just SQ11 with different software.

Can anybody recommend a 1080p (or better) camera which is almost the same size as this? The closest I can find is 20gram 808 keychain, but the quality is never very good for these.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2018, 10:10 AM
I don't think there's a camera of this size that films at actual 1080p. The 808#16 does only 720p (and does so pretty good imo).

Still think that the SQ12 (together with the SQ11) are pretty good for what they are: tiny and very in-expensive cameras. Just don't bother with their '1080p' setting as it will only inflate the file-size without adding actual detail!

If you want better IQ, you'll need a 'bigger' camera, like the Mobius Mini. But that's about 3X the size and 3X the price.
Feb 23, 2018, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
I don't think there's a camera of this size that films at actual 1080p. The 808#16 does only 720p (and does so pretty good imo).

Still think that the SQ12 (together with the SQ11) are pretty good for what they are: tiny and very in-expensive cameras. Just don't bother with their '1080p' setting as it will only inflate the file-size without adding actual detail!

If you want better IQ, you'll need a 'bigger' camera, like the Mobius Mini. But that's about 3X the size and 3X the price.
I am watching out for the #32 808 - details are virtually non-existent right now, though.

http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C32/
Feb 23, 2018, 10:42 AM
Quote:

I completely agree with Pixelpeter. The best things about this camera is it's super low price, cube form factor, size, and weight. It's perfect for sticking on the smaller quadcopters to get some decent'ish HD video.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I found a cheap 30 degree angle TPU mount on Banggood for the SQ11 that works perfectly with the SQ12. I've been using it strapped to the top of my 3" rig. Comes in a few different colors:
https://www.banggood.com/3D-Printer-...r_warehouse=CN

- Dustin
Feb 23, 2018, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamael
I am watching out for the #32 808 - details are virtually non-existent right now, though.

http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C32/
That's indeed an interesting one, but hasn't been confirmed yet. No ETA either. But I can tell you it'll surely be more expensive than the SQ12.
Feb 23, 2018, 12:18 PM
Quote:
That's indeed an interesting one, but hasn't been confirmed yet. No ETA either. But I can tell you it'll surely be more expensive than the SQ12.
To be honest, I feel as though I have wasted money on my SQ12. If paying a little extra means I am not wasting money, then I am happy with that.
Feb 23, 2018, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody WIlson
I did communicate with the seller through Ebay- they said drop the return request and they would send a new cam. So, I dropped it in good faith, but have not received any shipping or other confirmation from them. I sent them another email a week later stating that if I dont get shipping confirmation by the end of next week I will re-open the ticket and open a PP dispute.

I've tried a few cards- it just records fast, and takes forever to open the files- sound is out of sync... and

Yes, I did follow the instructions on the time/date stamp. I updated the time and date, and then entered N to the end and saved- it at least shows the correct time and date, but cannot seem to get it to just go away.

I went ahead and used the coupon code and orderd another one. That's three total I have on order now! I was just so dissapointed I killed my first one 2 minutes into my flight, and now this 2nd one is malfunctioning I might have gone a little nuts trying to get replacements....

I have gone back and done some of myown testing- it really does seem that this cam is 720P with delusions of being true 1080. I've blown up the 720 recordings to match the 1080 recordings on my 4K moniter, and they are almost identicle. The cheap chinese 4K cams I've ordered seem to be true 1080 with a stretched frame. I guess what can you really expect for a $20 1080 or $50 4K camera from China? It doesn't realy bother me- it's good enough for You Tube!
Hi Cody, just to let you know that I received my second SQ12 from China in about 10 days processing time. It took me 2 days to test changing the lens to a slightly wider fov when I managed to tear the camera ribbon slightly. This resulted in the blue LED coming on whenever I turned the camera on so I have broken it!! I have another one ordered as backup so I may try again. In the meantime, I am loving the footage from the SQ12 on my little drone. I hope yours arrives soon. Best of luck
Feb 23, 2018, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
I completely agree with Pixelpeter. The best things about this camera is it's super low price, cube form factor, size, and weight. It's perfect for sticking on the smaller quadcopters to get some decent'ish HD video.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I found a cheap 30 degree angle TPU mount on Banggood for the SQ11 that works perfectly with the SQ12. I've been using it strapped to the top of my 3" rig. Comes in a few different colors:
https://www.banggood.com/3D-Printer-...r_warehouse=CN

- Dustin
I absolutely agree with Dustin and Pixelpeter, it's the best cheap camera to put on a small drone for that price. I have ordered the same mount from Banggoood so it's nice to know the SQ12 will fit - thanks Dustin. In any case I eventually plan on taking the camera, board and battery out of the box with lights and placing these securely in the mount to reduce the total weight down to around 15g.
Feb 23, 2018, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamael
To be honest, I feel as though I have wasted money on my SQ12. If paying a little extra means I am not wasting money, then I am happy with that.
Hi Hamael. Coincidentally, I have just uploaded my latest SQ12 video after a little colour editing and removing duplicate frames. I am a novice on Adobe and not an expert with colours but I am really pleased with the result over the choppy raw footage but it is in 720p and not true 30fps. You can't beat a GoPro at the moment but at that price it is more expensive than my quad. I am sure someone will come out with a better camera very soon but I'll stick with the Quelima until I see better footage for 10. You may not agree with me but as I say I am no expert when it comes to video production.

Quelima SQ12 Frame Rate and Colour Saturation Camera Upgrade on ViFly (sub 250 gram) Drone (2 min 35 sec)
Feb 24, 2018, 03:50 AM
Looks okay to me TinkleWid
Feb 24, 2018, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Looks okay to me TinkleWid
Thank you Pixelpeter. It's not as smooth as a Mobius but for now when I watch the footage back after edit it gives me the same feeling as when I'm flying.
Feb 24, 2018, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkleWid
Thank you Pixelpeter. It's not as smooth as a Mobius but for now when I watch the footage back after edit it gives me the same feeling as when I'm flying.
And you did so with a sub $20 mini digicam

Heck, I've seen them for $10 a couple of times already!
Feb 26, 2018, 08:00 AM

Auto start and auto shut down

Does this camera auto start when connected to a 5v car charger via a USB cable? Does it auto shut down when USB power is removed?
Feb 26, 2018, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisercruiser
Does this camera auto start when connected to a 5v car charger via a USB cable? Does it auto shut down when USB power is removed?
When it's connected to power via the USB cable it does start recording automatically. It's kind of an inconvenience when you just want to plug it up to charge the battery as you have to remember to hit the power button to stop the recording.

Not sure if it stops when USB power is removed, but I'm betting it does.

-Dustin
Feb 26, 2018, 09:28 AM
Hi guys,

Is it possible to use this little camera as FPV live cam and a HD recording cam at the same time? I mean it is possible to get the AV signal out from the USB port and hook it on a transmitter while HD recording is on? Another coool stuff could be to power it from a BEC and remove the little battery from it.

I would like to use it on my WingWing Z84 but it could be used on any micro quad.

Quick Reply