Dec 27, 2017, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird_PL
My SQ12 stucked at the post office for Christmas. Tomorrow I'm testing my unit in daylight.
I'll check the tilting issue.
Unfortunately I won't test the cam underwater. Gearbest forgot to send me a waterproof case I paid for.
Just put the camera on the floor in front of a stone wall and take a picture straight at the wall.

I think they send out the UW cases later. At first I didn't understand why I got another shipment notice on my order of a SQ12 + UW case, but later realised the second one must have been for the UW case
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2017, 03:38 AM
Now you can buy SQ12 from Gearbest for $9.99.
Coupon code: XMAS408
Dec 28, 2017, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird_PL
Now you can buy SQ12 from Gearbest for $9.99.
Coupon code: XMAS408
Great price, if it wasn't for that tilted sensor!

Did you test your camera?
Dec 28, 2017, 07:01 AM
I took some pictures through the window. That's all I could do in so badly rainy weather today.

The surface is not flat, but I took a comparative photo from SJ7. $150 camera should has well-aligned sensor.

SJ7 Star - https://imgur.com/a/lZcZs
SQ12 - https://imgur.com/a/emVZg

SQ12 seems to be tilted about 1 to the left compared to SJ7. I will do more tests outdoor.
Dec 28, 2017, 10:04 AM
Did a short faux 'timelapse' video with the SQ12:

'timelapse' with SQ12 (1 min 48 sec)
Dec 28, 2017, 05:10 PM
Just like the SQ11, the SQ12 will record in sections of 5min 1sec.

When I recorded the television last night, I was able to record a bit over an hour before the camera stopped; that might still increase a little bit after some more charging cycles.

Pictures are quite large, but lack detail; absolutely NOT 12MP.
Dec 31, 2017, 12:09 PM
Got word back from GB regarding my complaint of the tilted horizon (sensor): "normal with wide angle lens" according to the techteam

If you keep a camera with a fisheye-lens flat and level, the horizon will be straight and level. Sure, out of the middle things will curve, but that's courtesy of the lens-design; no problems with that.

But I do have problems with this:
Jan 01, 2018, 09:16 AM
Not really aerial footage, but certainly a lot went airborne:

2018 fireworks with two SQ12 cameras (4 min 11 sec)

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!
Jan 06, 2018, 10:01 AM
Observation: when I plug in my SQ12 into a USBwall-charger via the supplied cable, it'll start recording video. I need to remove the card for it to go into charging (blinking red light)
Jan 07, 2018, 06:18 AM
Some aerial video-clips shot with the SQ12 on top of my Visuo XS809HW.

As shown in the picture in the video, I had to mount the camera at an offset (the sensor in the camera is tilted to one side) in order to get more or less straight video.

Quelima SQ12 flight with Visuo XS809HW (2 min 6 sec)
Jan 19, 2018, 12:25 PM
RPV builder & operator
Decent footage with minimal jello effect. I guess the foam under the camera helps a bit.
Jan 19, 2018, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Audette
Decent footage with minimal jello effect. I guess the foam under the camera helps a bit.
The foam is more to keep the camera a bit tilted to compensate for the off set sensor. It was taped down pretty securely; you will get jello when the camera is not really secured to the craft and you didn't balance the prop(s).
Jan 21, 2018, 12:37 PM
Correct about securing the SQ12 firmly to eliminate any jello. I actually get less jello than from the CMOS camera which is in a rubber casing .
Jan 26, 2018, 05:19 PM
plane obsessed
I took mine out for a test today- there is some blurring around the edges, and the focus is not perfect but it's not bad for a $20 cam. Unfortunately I tagged a ghost branch, and crashed on top of the camera, and a rock smashed the power button INTO the case. Took the case apart- switch is broken apart. Just ordered another. Now I have a spare battery and lens anyway.... 2 week wait....
Jan 26, 2018, 07:33 PM

Clarity, weight and colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody WIlson
I took mine out for a test today- there is some blurring around the edges, and the focus is not perfect but it's not bad for a $20 cam. Unfortunately I tagged a ghost branch, and crashed on top of the camera, and a rock smashed the power button INTO the case. Took the case apart- switch is broken apart. Just ordered another. Now I have a spare battery and lens anyway.... 2 week wait....
I don't seem to have blurring around the edges so far but shall do some further testing when the weather is dry again.

I managed to lose my SQ12 yesterday afternoon after a full speed crash into a ghost branch where my adjustable swivel snapped clean off. After 4 searches, I spotted the yellow tie straps around the camera and amazingly found it today in the long grass after it spent 24 hours in a field (no overnight rain). I have checked the memory card and SQ12 and they both appear to be working fine. I would recommend that it is definitely worth adding some colour to the SQ12 as it is very difficult to find in the grass.

By the way, when you opened the camera did you find 2 metal weights that serve no purpose? If you remove these you will save around 3g

Quick Reply