hatch cover - RC Groups
Nov 14, 2017, 03:17 AM
Discussion

hatch cover

Where cani get a water proof hatch cover for a Sea Wind ?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2017, 03:38 AM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
Last edited by haxawsnavy; Nov 14, 2017 at 01:25 PM.
Nov 14, 2017, 09:11 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Look in the Seawind Express newsletters for a few users ideas.

http://www.theamya.org/boats/seawind/seawindexpress.php
Nov 14, 2017, 02:56 PM
The quest for the Holy Grail.

The Seawind looks to be a bit awkward for my method but.....on my Ragazza I make deck hatches from Coreflute. It cuts beautifully on a bandsaw. The Seawind appears to have a flat hatch, a bonus. On boats with a curved deck just cut along the flutes on one side of the sheet and it will then bend. You do not need to do many cuts. Secure the hatch with duct tape. It may work for the Seawind.

Cheers,

Terry
Nov 14, 2017, 03:05 PM
No such thing exists. And to design one defies the laws of physics, and fluid dynamics.

Murphy’s Law states “In order for a leakproof hatch to be built for the Seawinds, then the remaining boat will self destruct.”

So the best you can come up with is a hatch cover that is “Leak Resistant”. And allows for a manageable and harmless amount of water in the bilge.

There are many ideas out there. One of the most promising is to get one of the clear acrylic/plastic award/certificate stands from Staples. And cut it to fit exactly into to cockpit. Then tape it down on all sides with clear shipping tape. And replace shipping tape after each use. Just be sure to open the hatch cover after every use, to allow any humidity to leave the bilge.
Nov 15, 2017, 12:16 AM
I tried this solution and it works!
Nov 15, 2017, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grfilip
I tried this solution and it works!
GFlip, MORE info PLEASE,!! We did something like that which is UUUGLY by my standards BUT it WORKS ,! Also we attached the "seal" to the deck with "other" mods added to result in my distaste of appearance. Can you share more info of your seal n glue methods please,??? Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Nov 15, 2017, 10:59 PM
Home depot and lowes sells .093 acrylic sheet. You can get a small piece (12x12 inch i think) for less than 10 bucks. get the acrylic cutter there too for another 7 dollars. use the existing hatch to draw on the acrylic sheet. use the cutter to cut it out, and sand the edges smooth (belt sander works awesome). Local hobby shop (or hardware store) have 4/40, or 6/32 or 8/32 brass threaded inserts. drill appropriate size hole to screw the inserts in place. I added a bit of plastic underneath the deck for a litle more bite, and used some epoxy/microbaloons when i screwed mine in. the following day, lay the acrylic sheet over the hole in the deck, and use a sharpie marker to mark where your threaded inserts are. drill holes, add some of the gasket material in the pic above (also from home depot), and use thumbscrews to secure the hatch to the cockpit. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow if needed.
Nov 16, 2017, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haxawsnavy
GFlip, MORE info PLEASE,!! We did something like that which is UUUGLY by my standards BUT it WORKS ,! Also we attached the "seal" to the deck with "other" mods added to result in my distaste of appearance. Can you share more info of your seal n glue methods please,??? Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Its seal material for windows frame. It has its own glow but I also used super glue.
https://cdn-reichelt.de/bilder/web/x.../TESA05390.png

Ι tried it with windy weather and it was really watertight. I also want to reinforce the backside of the hutch with a thin carbon fiber square tube.
Nov 16, 2017, 09:59 AM
A few $s worth of material from your local big box store - makes a solid watertight hatch cover - I've been using them for years - fox
Nov 18, 2017, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwyck
A few $s worth of material from your local big box store - makes a solid watertight hatch cover - I've been using them for years - fox
Today I tried this concept. Is 30 min. epoxy good enough to stick PVC on Seawind?
Nov 20, 2017, 01:59 AM

A Great Temp FIX,!!!

Here's what I did with stuff on hand and tested Saturday /day B4 yesterday in 13+ mph winds, (checked several times during an 8 race session n she was dry despite a lot of heeling n bow nose dives n water washing over her cockpit/ rudder hatch. UNTIL,... in AFTER scoring races (winds hadda be 15 by then) in fun races she did a full submersion and was sailing under water for a few feet (seemed like), (maybe one but MORE than I could STAND,! thought I lost her good this time ) Anywho,... there are a few great ways to fix this it just is a matter of aesthetics of wut you want your boat to look like. Hence I deleted my negative Org post #1 here. Sorry I wuz Havin a BAD day n it came out where I din't want it to. Forgive me,!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax FILE NAME is DESCRIPTIONS of Pic's.
Nov 20, 2017, 10:28 AM
Folks, As you can see there are as many ways to solve this problem as there are boats and if you just want to sail almost any will work - but if you are serious about racing I suggest you consider the following: 1) keep it simple, 2) weight - keep it light, 3) access - quick easy unrestricted without tools, 4) smooth - there is more that enough mandatory clutter on deck to foul lines already. Here are a couple of examples one simple the other complex - both will work. Fox
Nov 22, 2017, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haxawsnavy
Here's what I did with stuff on hand and tested Saturday /day B4 yesterday in 13+ mph winds, (checked several times during an 8 race session n she was dry despite a lot of heeling n bow nose dives n water washing over her cockpit/ rudder hatch. UNTIL,... in AFTER scoring races (winds hadda be 15 by then) in fun races she did a full submersion and was sailing under water for a few feet (seemed like), (maybe one but MORE than I could STAND,! thought I lost her good this time ) Anywho,... there are a few great ways to fix this it just is a matter of aesthetics of wut you want your boat to look like. Hence I deleted my negative Org post #1 here. Sorry I wuz Havin a BAD day n it came out where I din't want it to. Forgive me,!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax FILE NAME is DESCRIPTIONS of Pic's.
Thanks, I am working on this. How thick is your cover ?
Nov 22, 2017, 10:14 AM
Thank you every one for your help . Larry B