Christmas early -Coyote - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 13, 2017, 07:34 PM
Held by Grace
Discussion

Christmas early -Coyote

Hey Guy's : I have been given a Bob Martine Coyote and am looking for advice and coments of how they fly
Thanks in advance -Mike
Latest blog entry: Cleveland slope trip
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2017, 08:10 PM
They fly fine, like a big trainer plane. It's a fairly old design so most modern stuff will fly circles around it. But it's pretty durable and it will fly in relatively light air. You are not going to win a slope race with it or yank it around the sky like a combat wing or an Ahi. But if you are happy with a more sedate kind of flying it's a decent plane (and very durable with that plastic fuse).
Nov 14, 2017, 12:52 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Get in touch with Dave Garwood. He is slope flier from your area and used to fly a Coyote. You can find him here in RCG.
Nov 14, 2017, 01:48 PM
It's not going to build itself
You lucky DOG you.

There's a few moments of my old Coyote at around 10:15.
Tom
CAJON PASS FAKE PSS (18 min 4 sec)
Last edited by TRISME; Nov 14, 2017 at 07:35 PM.
Nov 14, 2017, 07:32 PM
Held by Grace

Coyote

Thank You Brian :
We are not exactly the hot bed of slope activity here on the east coast so...as i was helping a friend help a friend clean out his basement , he uncovered this and I recognized it as a Coyote and the owner said "take it it's yours"
most of the stuff I come accross has been pre/over enjoyed, my house is known as the island of broken toy's
Now if only one of your PSS ships would pop up some time.....
I appriciate your work Brian

Sail -Yes : I know of Dave,he usually shows up at Cleveland for the glider games in the spring

Trisme- Yes I am blessed
Thanks Guy's
Nov 14, 2017, 08:50 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
I got rid of my 18-wheeler-slow wings, and will eventually bag the SD6060 cores i have (no sweep-back) and cut the existing stabilizer right down the middle and glue it right back, but into a V....for an unusual, 60" Vtail-er...nice!
I also intend to keep the 25+yr old standard Airtronics servos (i reversed the appropriate wires) that are clear-siliconed-in...because they are actually stuck quite decently!
Last edited by cityevader; Nov 14, 2017 at 08:57 PM.
Nov 15, 2017, 09:05 AM
Held by Grace

Cajon Pass

Hey Tom : she looked good!
You really have some awesome sites to fly out west, although the drive up looks a bit intimidating .
I have to drive 5 hours to Cleveland to find Big Air - Great bunch of guys there
Nov 15, 2017, 09:39 AM
It's not going to build itself
Thanks, I got it well used and put servos in it. I flew it for a couple of years and gave it to a buddy. He flew it for a bit and gave it back. I flew it for a while again, and then gave it to another friend to fly.
Dec 03, 2017, 09:47 PM
Held by Grace

A Coyote update

A short update -
I took a short ( 4 hrs) road trip with a buddy to fly with the guys from Cleveland and got a chance to put the Coyote in the air for my first flight with her .
The wind was building as the day went on, 15 to 18 gusting and slightly crossed with the left side of the slope producing more lift and the right side tending to stop most of the forward momentum .
Any way after after adding some up trim it was flying nicely from left to right, with the tail coming up as it got on step and was moving out. The turn from the right side was a different story with it losing most of its forward momentum and feeling like it would drop like a rock. The elevator was pretty mushy.
At the end of the second flight turning from the right side she was slowed down again when it seemed to lose elevator authority and went in pretty had knocking off the tail and poping the wing retention bolts .. gotta love that duralean fuse !
Once home The receiver pack checked out ok as did the receiver and elevator servo ( a futaba s-133 )
I did find a couple of degrees of positive incidence in the elevator,and was not crazy how the Y push rod for the elevator was done.
The tail has been glued back on with epoxy and I will be replacing the s-133 with a standard s-148 for the elevator. I can correct the declage by shimming the wing .
I am thinking about adding a rudder and second aileron servo. .
The Coyote has a great presence in the air and I am looking forward to getting it back in the air.
Mike
Dec 03, 2017, 10:28 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
When a slope's conditions reveals clear difficiencies, it is folly to fault the plane first.
Dec 04, 2017, 05:03 PM
Held by Grace
Please check out - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-slope-outting

Four and a half hours of sloping with your buddies at the end of November in 60 degree weather is Not folly on the east coast .

On the other hand ........
Yesterday, 09:12 PM
#4555 Report
cityevader
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
6,065 Posts
Sigh...i was on the cusp of coming out with my rebuilt Spider60 and the boy...but it just didn't "feel right" and i felf old and cold, so we spent the day on the couch instead.

I hope you feel better soon - Mike
Dec 04, 2017, 05:24 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
I did type an oddly worded reply there, huh... I just meant a cross-slope wind making the lift goofy, causing a maiden flight to behave badly and dork in...wasn't the plane's fault, is all.
Dec 06, 2017, 12:04 PM
Here is one I modified long ago.... 90" span with a full flying T tail. I still have it, I should get it out and fly it.
Dec 06, 2017, 04:19 PM
Held by Grace

Coyote "T"

Nice Loren
a very interesting mod on the Coyote,I know others have built them with V tails.
I would love to see a picture from the side, should present a unique profile with the T tail .
Mike
Dec 06, 2017, 04:40 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
interesting...i found the fuse to be nearly too short for 2m, and the same length as nearly all my 1.5m birds...did you stretch the tail to match the 90" wings?