The Hobby Lost a Friend - Crash Hancock - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

The Hobby Lost a Friend - Crash Hancock

We wanted to honor Mr. Michael "Crash" Hancock and all the friends he made, the RC podcasts he created and all the lives he touched.

Splash

Crash Hancock - 1966 - 2017

Crash Hancock invented the RC podcast and helped to bring many folks into the hobby. He was a the kind of guy that folks wanted to be around. He was a gentle giant that touched so many lives in so many ways. “The Crash Cast” was a podcast he created and hosted for the past 10 years.

Here is one of Crash's last posts:

I've received so many wonderful PM's from folks wondering how I'm doing, and I am truly grateful for all of your concern. Cancer sucks, the Oncologist maintains that I'm 'terminal', but I refuse to let that damper my faith and good spirits. I'm doing all that I can to stay healthy and do things with family, friends, and my favorite hobby! Thanks so much for all of your continued prayers and support, dear friends!

Crash Stories

Crash lost his battle with cancer so I thought it would be a good thing to create this feature to recognize Crash's passing and share stories. I will include a few in this feature but urge you to share your story about Crash. Did he help you in the hobby? Do you have a funny Crash story from SEFF? Please feel free to share anything about Crash that moves you.

Mike Finley - Co-Host of the FliteTest Community Podcast

Here is my history of “Crash”.

I have listened to the Crashcast podcast for quite some time. Learned a lot from the podcast and from all of the guys. I decided that I wanted to do a podcast as well, as I am not a great builder by any means but wanted to give back somehow.

I asked Patrick Murphy, and Joel Cannon if they would be a part of it, and they agreed. I did not know the first thing about what needed to be done to start a podcast, but Joel got in touch with Crash. Well, if you know anything about Crash, he was right there to help us get it all set up. I was fortunate enough to “press flesh” with Crash at FliteFest 2017 in Ohio. We had numerous long conversations about life, podcasts, friends and everything in-between. I explained the greatest loss in my life to him, and let him know that when the time came, my daughter would be there to meet him and show him around heaven. We shared some tears, but more importantly, we shared a real bond over those 4 days. Without his help, I would not be where I am, and where our podcast is at this moment. I owe all of it to Michael, and will carry his friendship the rest of my days. I sure hope he returns the favor and is there with my daughter to show me around when it is my time.

Crash, I love you buddy, and look forward to seeing you again. Thank you…

Tim King Jr. - Co-Host of the Crashcast

I've struggled with this one, man...but I think a story from this years' Nall is appropriate

2017 was Crash's first trip to Joe Nall. I had tried to get him to come for several years, but it wasn't in the cards with his schedule. This year, however, it all fell in place, and he found himself eastbound, with the granddaddy of all events as his destination.

Several of us were already there, looking forward to Crash's arrival, when we got the call we had been waiting on. "We're about an hour out," he said. It was then that a plan was hatched. We decided to ambush him at the gate. I had told Crash that it was a Triple Tree tradition to get a picture at the gate, especially for your first visit. I explained to him that he needed to stop, and get a shot of the gate with his rig in view, and oh yea, make sure you just have your parking lights on, since there will be a lot of night flying happening.

The gang had decided to stage near the gate, armed with various Nerf guns (I'm still confused as to where those came from) and hide, waiting for the moment Crash got onto property. We had golf carts, mini bikes, scooters, and a four wheeler all loaded up and waiting.

As we staked out spots, we heard the rumble of his Hemi Ram coming down the road. He turned in, but didn't kill the lights, and the headlights swept across the four wheeler, parked dead in the center of the road, just behind the gate. Crash came to a quick stop, and from everywhere, flashlights and worklights flooded his truck, as a barrage of Nerf darts were lobbed through open windows. Crash was laughing his tail off, and tossed a few darts back out the windows at us. We handed him an adult beverage and welcomed him to Triple Tree.

Crash's first trip to Triple Tree was a memorable one. He mentioned several times how much fun he was having, and how much he enjoyed the welcoming committee. I still laugh when I picture the look of surprise on his face as the first Nerf dart flew right into his window and by his head!

Crash's Scratch-build Club - QSC Rogallo Part 1 (18 min 38 sec)

Jim T. Graham - Admin Deluxe of RCGroups.com, FlyingGiants.com and HeliFreak.com

I heard Crash on his podcast before I ever met him. I have always been an RC a podcast collector and listen to them while I'm in the shop or traveling to an event. The charm of the Crashcast wasn't just the RC aspect, it was the personalities on the show and Crash was the person that held the whole thing together. I like to say his voice had a dulcet tone. I knew I would meet Crash and the gang to SEFF and I did! Chaos and insanity ruled in the Crash Cast tent town and they owned the skies at night. More than a few times the RCG crew would roll up on something that we had never seen before. Night bowling was fun to watch and sometimes tricky to observe safely! You always knew a good time was going to be had by the Crash Cast. I was excited to be invited to be on the Crashcast a few times and made sure I had some moonshine nearby so I could keep up with the crew!!

I also got to know Crash over those many years. When I started tooling leather he would let me know how interested his daughter was in what I was making. I would always try to make sure she had some info on how to get started, how to make things, etc. I made a point of finding Crash at Joe Nall this year. Not an easy task!! I had made him a pocket holster for his favorite pistol as a gift. It was the least I could do to thank him for all the info and laughs I was given through his podcast. We saw each other off and on throughout Nall and I knew that might be the last time I would ever see him. It makes saying goodbye a whole new thing.

The last time we spoke was via PM. I wanted to let him know that if his daughter ever needed any help or had questions with her leather work to make sure to contact via PM and he sincerely thanked me. A few weeks later he was gone.

The good news for all of us is that Crash isn't really gone. He doesn't feel gone to me and I'm sure when I'm back at SEFF I will still feel his presence. He is out there on the internet on all those podcasts. We can visit with him anytime we want. The fun and good he has done will continue.

Mudman1959

Today a Friend and Mentor to myself and many a RC person passed away and flew on to a Greater Flying Field... Michael "Crash" Hancock lost his battle with Cancer. He was a Gentle Giant and a Friend to all. He would give you the shirt off his back if you asked. When my Youngest Son came home from Afghanistan he was really having a hard time with his depression and memories. Crash and some of the guys in and who listened to the Crash Cast sent a bunch of RC goodies for my Son and got him back up and flying and back to more/less normal. Never did I expect this. The first time I met Crash was at the Crash in Fly in at Saranac Mi. several years ago... It was like I knew him forever and we talked for quite sometime. I had been listening to the Crash Cast for awhile and Crash with his deep Radio Personality Voice imparted upon us his RC Wisdom and Knowledge. Sometimes the show went awry but Crash took everything in stride.

He will be Greatly missed! So in the words he ended all of his shows with... "Get out there and build something, Fly something and enjoy this Great Hobby of ours"

Wings Up and Wheels Down Buddy... You will be missed but Not forgotten.

Crash Links

You can listen to Crash and the whole gang in his series of podcasts here: The CrashCast

CrashCast Youtube Channel

Your Crash Story

So these were our stories and now please share yours. It's a great way to pay tribute to a great man. We will miss you Crash but you will be with us in spirit at all the events we attend!

Nov 15, 2017, 05:12 PM
I was very fortunate to have got to know Crash personally since my move to Texas 4 years ago.

We used to communicate, like he did with so many, via email on a fairly regular basis and i have even been a guest on his show a couple times.
But it was when we first met in person that i began to realize what a truly special person he was.

I just happened to be passing Waco on my way back from a business trip and asked him if i could pop in for 30 mins to see his CNC machines as we had been discussing them in detail over the phone and it was a great opportunity to see them in person.

Well that 30 minute visit turned into almost 4 hours! He welcomed a stranger into his home was very hospitable and couldn't have been more helpful in my deep plunge into the CNC world. It sealed my friendship and admiration for the guy for ever.
I was lucky enough to meet him at several other local RC events and have been invited to his new home for a couple of flying events.
Sadly the most recent visit was the last.

It was a privilege to be present at the final recording of the Crash Cast along with so many other special people i now call friends that i would never have known if it wasn't for Crash.
The 4Star 40 he gave me as a gift that weekend will be treasured, but it will be flown and enjoyed just as he would have wanted me to!

I am sad for the loss his family and the RC community has suffered but i am also happy that his suffering has ended.

Anyway

Crash if your reading this, we miss ya buddy!

Get out there and build something fly something and enjoy this great RC hobby!

Ben
Last edited by Borneoben; Nov 15, 2017 at 05:25 PM.
Nov 15, 2017, 05:14 PM
RCG Admin
Crash will be missed : (
Nov 15, 2017, 06:11 PM
I first met Crash right here on RCGroups.
little did I know that would be the start of a great adventure.

I had just become interested in the RC hobby and was under another name (Fancypicker) on here.
While doing a video review of a small toy quadcopter for MassiveRC, I just happened to be open carrying my .45 ACP pistol. I caught quite a bit of flak from quite a few members of the forum for my pistol.
Before you know it, Crash was sending me a private message with his support and encouragement.
That's just the kind of guy he was. Supporting me, a stranger. He was a man of conviction.

I live in North Carolina and strangely enough, through Crash ... all the way in Texas, I met Tim King and Tim Walker (iflyos and Navionflyer). One would think we had a better chance of meeting since we all lived wihin an hour or so of each other in North Carolina, but nope. As chance would have it, those guys sent words of encouragement along with Crash. I met two more great friends through Crash.

You would think that would be it, but through the Crash Cast I just KEPT meeting new people from around the country and making great, lasting friendships ... all because of Crash. I learned about all these great RC events I went to ... all because of Crash. I went from flying little toy quadcopters, to being interested in almost all aspects of RC. Building, fixed wing, gliders, tris, quads, on and on ... all because of Crash.

I should also mention I am quite a bit poorer... all because of Crash. He was the ultimate enbabler.

I only got to "press the flesh" with Crash twice. Once at RCEFF 2014 and the last time at Nall 2017.
The first time I met him in person he was in his camper and recognized my voice from my videos. That amazed me. I was a stranger, but immediately felt like one of his good buddies. That's just the kind of guy he was. The second time, I got to ambush him with Nerf guns and whiskey.

I will always have a fond spot in my heart for Crash

Every time I build something, I'll think of him.
Every time I fly something, I'll think of him.
Every time I enjoy this great RC hobby I will think of him.
Nov 15, 2017, 06:31 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Hey everyone!

There's a fundraiser we've opened for the listeners to donate towards getting the AMA memorial brick you saw above and help cover the costs of hosting The Crashcast so that others can enjoy and learn with this great resource. I'm happy to announce that we've already purchased the granite brick and have $1700 to give the family for hosting fees!
If you listened to & enjoyed the Crashcast, please help keep it online for years to come by sending Paypal (via friends & family option) to crashmemorialfund@gmail.com. If you don't have Paypal, PM me and we can arrange an alternate way to donate!

There's also a separate fund that's been made to help buy some special presents for Crashs' family - to thank them for sharing Crash with us. We have a few things in mind that they will use and appreciate, and while we don't want to give away the surprise, rest assured that we will announce what the gifts were after Christmas. Help bring a little joy to what I'm sure will be a mournful holiday season. To donate to the Christmas fund, please visit http://www.angleofattackpodcast.com/tccsscontact.php
Last edited by Nikolei Zinsli; Nov 15, 2017 at 06:40 PM.
Nov 17, 2017, 04:54 PM
I never shook the man’s hand but listened to him every week on the crash cast from episode one on.
always part of my weekly commute to work.
He was a man of integrity and compassion
We have lost a great friend and modeler.
Our prayers for his family,
Phil Valente
Nov 17, 2017, 11:10 PM
Skill Collector
Crash was my friend for years before I finally met him and 'pressed flesh' at Flite Fest East 2017. I talked to him every week on the Crash Cast podcast. I don't know if he heard me, but I heard him telling me all about RC and CNC and friendships and being good to people and helping others.

I made other friends through knowing Crash - some of them I talk to while listening to the podcasts, and some of them I talk to online, and some I get to meet in person every year at flying events. And my life is better through these friendships.

And I try to help people like Crash showed me, and be generous like he showed me, and be the kind of person who I feel would be worthy of the smile and warm handshake he met me with.

Thank you Crash.

I miss you Crash.
Nov 17, 2017, 11:13 PM
Jeff

So Sorry

I was an early adopter of the Crash Cast.
I admit the moment he injected his religion into it, I gave it up with disgust.
However I am sorry tho to hear of his passing away.
The RC legacy is immeasurable. If only...
Nov 21, 2017, 12:41 PM

Rip

A true gentleman and a great​ man we will miss him at SEFF I last spoke to him at Joe Nall this year it was like we were long time friends and we were in this great hobby
Rest in Peace Crash you will be miss by many I be praying for his family

Allen George
Nov 27, 2017, 09:05 AM
J. Titors gr8 grandson...
Sad news about a great dude...
Nov 28, 2017, 10:44 PM
I did not know Crash as good as most did nor did I know he passed away. I want to say thanks Crash and my dad (mudman1959)for everything you did to help me get back into flying after I lost all my rc planes and gear. The rascal flys amazing as it did on the maiden flight with you there. Thanks again Crash.
Nov 29, 2017, 09:36 PM
He's probably flying a rc airplane in hevan and having a blast!!! The smoothest runways ever and no cross winds.