Nov 12, 2017, 06:43 PM
Build Log

Model Tech P-51 D A R C

I did some Horse Trading and scored a Model Tech P51 ARC from the late 80s or early 90s. The look is far from scale, but I think it would make a good Sport Flyer from the period. I intend to keep to the original intent of the kit as much as possible (other than electric power). By doing a build log it keeps me from slacking off, and encourages me to finish the project in a timely manner. Here are some pictures of what I got. John
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2017, 03:08 PM
I cut out the Battery Hatch yesterday using a razor saw and an Exacto Knife. Using my Dremel I hogged out F2 and the the engine rails between F1 and F2, It looks a bit rough but I can dress it up later. I am planning on mounting a Inrunner Motor to the Engine Rails between F1 and the Nose Piece. Here are some pictures. John
Nov 16, 2017, 07:52 PM
The hatch magnets and the battery tray are installed. Two 1/4" rails were glued to the sides, two 1/16" cross pieces were glued to the rails, and a 1/16" tray was glued to the cross pieces. Here are some pictures. John
Nov 22, 2017, 06:58 PM
I'm not moving very fast on this build, but I did get the Elevator and Rudder servos mounted yesterday as well as the Golden Rod outer sheath. The Motor Mount came in so the next task will be mounting the motor. John
Nov 22, 2017, 09:07 PM
They fly really well. Not a true scale plane but from 250 feet, can you really tell the difference as they fly by at 50 MPH?

Have you picked a power setup yet?

The Tacon 25 would work well on 3s or 4s.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m603-big...826-870kv.html

On a 4s, 4 blade 10x6, should be around 500 watts.

Buzz.
Nov 23, 2017, 02:05 PM
Buzz, did you have one, I'd like to pick your brain on this airplane. I had to use a Inrunner for a power system because of the engine rails, so I chose a Himax HA 2825 -2743. Just by looking at the wing I figured it would be a good flyer, and you are right, it isn't scale but close enough. Am planning on using a APC 11-7 Electric prop and a 4s 2200 Lipo for 375 watts according to Max Products. I mounted the motor yesterday, and here is a picture. John
Nov 23, 2017, 10:41 PM
I have a couple Himaxx motors, oh they area nice pieces. Not the cheapest but oh how they move the plane. That is a really nice fit. Almost like it was made for it. I may have torn out a lot of wood, put a ply piece on the firewall, mounted an out runner.

I did not have one, I helped a friend build it. He had a K&B .28 in the nose. It flew more like the average sport plane and not like an over weight, gotta fly it every second Mustang.

You could lighten it up by using some mini servos in place of the large standard sized ones.

Buzz.
Nov 26, 2017, 03:12 PM
Buzz, am using Power Up 25 gram mini servos from HURC, I have used them before without any problems. The canopy that came with the kit was too big and clunky and I had nothing that would work in my "crash stash" so I ordered a battery hatch cover with canopy from Horizon for one of there 1200mm foamies. The new canopy fit great and after I installed the lower cowl I set the tail feathers on and snapped a picture. The fuselage gets set aside and now I start on the wing. John
Nov 26, 2017, 04:18 PM
Ldm
Ldm
I have the larger one new in box, going to do my build this winter with a 60 or 90 size on 6 cells .
I know they are not very scale but the quality of the wood and glue joints looks pretty strong.
The brand was very good for Hobby People and at a time when they had their stuff together for lack of a better word
Nov 26, 2017, 05:38 PM
Ldm, I was impressed with the wood and build quality too. I will go over some of the glue joints with thin C A just to be safe. Consider doing a build thread on yours (with pictures) when you build it. John
Nov 26, 2017, 08:17 PM
Ldm
Ldm
HEY J
Defintly will do . I adding the 1700 mm Retracts from the FMS Mustang and some fun details from that planes accessories.
Also changing out the canopy on mine when the build starts.
Nov 27, 2017, 12:11 PM
Model Tech got a pretty bad rap in my area. I liked the ARC's as I could cover them in the colors I wanted too and not have the same ARF every one else did.

I built the Sukhoi from Model Tech. She was a BIG ARC. It had a 1.20Fs in the nose. The wood was second to none. Was very well built. Fiber glass parts were way better than I saw in the other ARF's.

I thought I got a lot more than what I paid for in the Model tech planes.

I have (5) of the 9g high voltage, digital, metal gear servos Hobby People used to sell. They would be perfect for this plane. I bought them to go in my Jet Fire 20. About the same size as the Mustang.

When this Mustang is flying around the filed, it will look good. It is the 30 feet stand off scale. Can you tell it looks like a Mustang? It does fly well and that to me is more important then it looking exactly like the full scale plane.

Buzz.
Nov 27, 2017, 02:53 PM
I decided to do 2 wing servos, so I cobbled up a servo mount, drilled out the holes in the ribs and rolled up some paper for the servo wires. Here are some pictures. John
Nov 27, 2017, 03:02 PM
Help! I don't have a manual, and there are 3 pieces that I don't know where they go. The pieces are W31, W33, and 3 each D23. LDM, if your manual can give you a clue, please let me know. John
Last edited by jbrooks01; Nov 28, 2017 at 08:03 AM.
Nov 28, 2017, 06:42 AM
Ldm
Ldm
HI J
I dont see those parts on my plans , sorry .
Iam think they are some sort of cowl block or landing gear support ?

Quick Reply