Irvine engines - RC Groups
Nov 12, 2017, 02:06 PM
Engine man
Discussion

Irvine engines

I recently purchased an excellent condition Irvine 61 MkII ABC engine from a friend of mine. This engine has no "Made in xxx" markings on it. I am assuming it is from the time OS was producing these engines. So now to my questions.

1. When did Irvine get bought or sold to OS? Why?

2. Did OS ever make them in Japan?

3. Were they made in China?

I love the fact that it uses an o-ring to seal the back cover instead of a gasket. I have attached some pictures. I am quite happy with the way this engine runs. I have been purchasing some 60 size 2 strokes for an engine comparison. This makes the 9th and final engine for the comparison.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2017, 02:44 PM
I don't know much about the OS versions, but it looks like you have the correct (Irvine) carb at least.
I think OS changed theirs to use their own ABN liners, so a peak into the exhaust port might be enough to identify it.
Last edited by surfer_kris; Nov 12, 2017 at 03:46 PM.
Nov 12, 2017, 03:06 PM
Engine man
Well I do not know what to look for but I am not seeing much in these photos.
Nov 12, 2017, 03:17 PM
the great Gassifďer
If the liner on the outside is clearly "copper colored" it should be ABC, if it is more silvery, it is ABN....

Since the outside of the liner in the exhaust port can be hard to Judge due to it being exposed to heat and exhaust residue, it should be easier to pull the head and check the seating face of the liner. It should be copper colored as well, with a very distinct color difference to the bore surface to be ABC.
Nov 12, 2017, 03:17 PM
It’s an English made example. It has the Irvine UK ‘JetStream’ R/C throttle carburettor which if in good order work very nicely.
Nov 12, 2017, 03:22 PM
Engine man
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
It’s an English made example. It has the Irvine UK ‘JetStream’ R/C throttle carburettor which if in good order work very nicely.
So the OS made ones had a different carb then? About what time frame do you think this engine is from then?

Great information here. Now I only paid $60 for this engine too.
Nov 12, 2017, 03:39 PM
Engine man
Here is the upcoming video series on the 60 size engines I have.

60 Size 2 Stroke Series Video #1 (7 min 48 sec)
Nov 12, 2017, 05:35 PM

Irvine .61 Mk II

Limited spares are available from the UK distributor at fair prices.

http://www.ripmax.com/Category_List.aspx?Category=X0840
Nov 12, 2017, 05:54 PM
Engine man
I don't understand how to order the spares. You click on what you want and then redirected to a map showing distributors. None have websites to order from. What the heck?
Nov 12, 2017, 06:17 PM
Ripmax is just a distributor to the hobby shops which is why there's a button at the top of the page for Trade Login In. You'd probably have to do a search for hobby shops in London or England and see if any of them have spares. Try this one.
Nov 12, 2017, 06:20 PM
What is the difference between the engine David has and this one of mine? Besides the color. The box for mine says Sport 61.
Nov 12, 2017, 06:21 PM
Ron - AMA 1025

Irvine

Here is some of the original paperwork that came with engine, will get it to you later - dated 1999
Nov 12, 2017, 06:26 PM
Engine Frankensteiner™
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeltronics
What is the difference between the engine David has and this one of mine? Besides the color. The box for mine says Sport 61.
Engines listed as "sport" are usually Dykes ringed. The .25 I had was marked ".25 Sport" and was Dykes ringed. The ABC variants are marked as such (on the box). The engines themselves are not marked as to whether they're ringed or ABC. Most ringed engines have a bridged exhaust port - ABC engines usually doesn't have the bridged exhaust port.
Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; Nov 12, 2017 at 07:00 PM.
Nov 12, 2017, 06:56 PM
You are right....I can see a ring
Nov 12, 2017, 08:30 PM
Mod, if you run that engine, lose the black cap in the exhaust, rust will take the bearings right out of it with the cap in place.