Time Tested Slopers? - RC Groups
Nov 11, 2017, 12:31 PM
Discussion

Time Tested Slopers?

Time tested and still sweet flyers?

As a new pilot flying on the slopes I've noticed the always improving new planes that become available almost all the time. What I'm interested in is what slope pilots think are the slope planes of the past that are still relevant, still hit that sweet spot for you.?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2017, 12:43 PM
aka : SteveBB..
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleair
Time tested and still sweet flyers?

As a new pilot flying on the slopes I've noticed the always improving new planes that become available almost all the time. What I'm interested in is what slope pilots think are the slope planes of the past that are still relevant, still hit that sweet spot for you.?
I built from plans, Chris Foss's Phase 5 which he'd designed as a competition glider years ago. I'd been encouraged by a few who said for a wooden glider it was still great. And they were right. It can't possibly compete with uber slim and slippy glass sloper, but if you enjoy a satisfying build and a nice flyer there are worse ways to spend your time.
Last edited by Stevepilot; Nov 11, 2017 at 01:16 PM.
Nov 11, 2017, 01:01 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Destiny from SoaringUSA (a 2m Destiny would be SO freaking perfect)
JW
Opus
Mini-Blade
Sting (what an amazing flyer!)
Weasel, always need a weasel on hand
Last edited by KingOfTheHill; Nov 11, 2017 at 01:15 PM.
Nov 11, 2017, 01:42 PM
Those are all good---but I LOVE PSS planes!!! And ANY of the Slope Scale planes will fly great if you build them straight and true! WEIGHT is a critical factor--so a nice light -30oz Air Cobra, and 40oz B-17 and a 50oz P51 and you'll have slope heaven!!
Then---go for "Twisty" wings---a Joe Cormier Mach One is AWSOME--
And-- any of the F3F 3 meter planes would round out any quiver and give your need for speed and flying in ALL conditions the top of the line.
FWIW
Nov 11, 2017, 02:30 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Good question. There are so many. But to name a few.
I would agree with all the previous posts.
And I will second the Opus. It had a huge following! Only problem is they don’t manufacture them anymore so you have to find one used.
Also the Trinity F3F it also had a huge following and is also unavailable. I have one and a half, it’s not easy to find the parts to complete my 2nd Trinity. But I have a lead so I should have the parts soon.
Look up old threads about the Trinity, people talk about it like it was the Holy Trinity. Ha ha
Also the Weasel it has been around for 20 years and everybody that flies it likes it. Good thing, still available.
The Wizard Compat 2X i’m not sure if they’re still available. But I don’t think so. They are very well-made & a dream to fly.
Carbon Bird. They are still available and definitely a proven aircraft.
Durable aircraft models. DAM. They are EPP warbirds. Unavailable but if you can find one grab it.
Leading edge gliders. LEG. They are EPP warbirds. Good thing is they are still available and they are absolutely awesome! Hard to believe they are time-tested I remember when they first came out.

Also any glass warbird PSS that Brian Laird designed. And if you can find one that he designed and built himself in the classifieds that is an automatic buy!!! You know it’s built perfect!

And no list would be complete without the Hobie Hawk.

Dave
Last edited by DWA; Nov 11, 2017 at 02:59 PM.
Nov 11, 2017, 02:35 PM
around Colombia
FWIW, we're hauling a CR Climmax Pro and Renegade around in our camper. Hoping to fly the Renegade on the Mesa de Los Santos tomorrow.
Nov 11, 2017, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleair
What I'm interested in is what slope pilots think are the slope planes of the past that are still relevant, still hit that sweet spot for you.?
You almost need to Break 'em out by Year or Functionality ie. Bank & Yank, Full House, Twisty Wing, RES

Of course, I'm partial to CR Aircrafts, but in addition there are so many Wonderful Toys;

SR7, Jart, LEG PSS, SOS

Mach 1, Contender, Shrike, Turbo, Savaron

Sagitta, Aquila, Hobie

Spider 60, Ocelot, Blade, Opus, Acacia, Trinity aka Big Banana
Nov 11, 2017, 02:58 PM
by ZIPPER
The Birdworks/Off The Edge Zipper, it's been out there for a long time and is still a sweet looking plane.
Nov 11, 2017, 03:13 PM
Faster is Better
For me, my hands down go to glider even after 20 years, is the DAW ME-163.

It's like your favorite pair of shoes.

I have faster, nicer looking gliders but the 163 is so versatile and reliable.
Nov 11, 2017, 04:26 PM
Brett
The Opus is still one of my favorites (I think they they still make them btw...but the distribution to the US is a bit spotty) for an all around high performance sloper.

I'd also add the Mini Acacia , which is light enough to fly in the weakest lift, yet still very fast when ballasted up. I still fly mine, though it's getting quite warn out.

Bringing a combo of the Opus and Mini Acacia to the slope pretty much always covered all the bases for me.
Nov 11, 2017, 04:31 PM
aka : SteveBB..
I wish I could get another Simprop Sagitta Project 2... Now that was a beautiful model, and flew like a homesick angel. This was the fuz after refurbishment after a very nasty crash involving far too much ballast on a very windy day.
Nov 11, 2017, 06:49 PM
For me sloping was all about relaxing. Marks Model Wanderer and Windfree were great flyers. And of course the Hawk.
Nov 11, 2017, 07:30 PM
auto-tune remix
NSP Sparrow
CR-Fun-1
CR Climmax Pro
Quicksilver
Destiny, for sure. It's amazing how long mine has lasted.
Gentle Lady
Alpina
Higgins planes
Jart
Last edited by slopemeno; Nov 12, 2017 at 07:48 PM. Reason: added the jart
Nov 11, 2017, 08:00 PM
Slow builder
NSP Sparrow. Man I wanted one of those.
A guy had one back in the day flying at Dobroyd. That thing would fly circles around anything else we had.

It's a shame Sal was such a knob.

Al
Nov 11, 2017, 08:20 PM
On the Go Fly List
I will add the Higgins RODENT to the list. They have been around a long time and are still great big wind flyers with a cult like following. Rodents are simple to build and look great in the air and on the ground.

Adam