Multiplex EasyGlider 4 Electric Sailplane Review - RC Groups

Multiplex EasyGlider 4 Electric Sailplane Review

We check out the latest EasyGlider from Mulitplex and show you what it's like to assemble and fly. Read on for the full review.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan: 70.9" (1800mm)
Length: 42.5" (1080mm)
Flying Weight: 39oz (1105g)
Motor: ROXXY C28-34-850kv Brushless
ESC: ROXXY BL-Control 720 S-BEC
Prop Size: 9x6 folding
Servos: (4) MPX Tiny-S
Battery: 3S 2700mAH
Available at: Weekender Warehouse
Price: Kit - $104.99 / RR - $199.99

I've had an original non-electric EasyGlider for probably close to a decade or more. It's a great flying sailplane that is perfect for the slope, aerotow and bungee launching. It's durable, flys great and it has nice lines that are pleasing to my eye. There's been several generations over the years with improvements each time and now we have the latest model, the EasyGlider 4. Multiplex sent me one to check out and review and I was super excited to see how it compared to my original EasyGlider.

What's in the Box

• Fuselage with tail servos, motor and ESC installed
  • Wings with servos installed and ready for installation
  • Horizontal stabilizer ready to install
  • Vertical stabilizer ready to install
  • Hardware bag with Velcro and an allen wrench
  • Manuals for the plane, ESC and motor

Assembly

The Assembly of the RR version is so easy and simple that Ikea should takes notes. Unlike the original EasyGlider, the EasyGlider 4 does not require any glue to make it flight ready. The first step is to place the horizontal and vertical stabilizer on the tail and secure them with one nylon bolt in the bottom of the fuselage. There is a pin at the rear of the fuse that a notch in the rudder connects with so make sure that is in place before securing with the bolt. The pushrod ez connectors are pre-installed in the control horns on the rudder and elevator, so you can go ahead and route the pushrod wires into the connectors. You'll adjust them and tighten the grub screws later when you center the servos.

If you've ever put together one of those foam gliders from walmart, the EasyGlider 4 wings attach in a similar fashion. There are no bolts, clips or hardware to worry about. You simply insert the spar into one wing and slide that into the fuselage, then slide the other wing on and press together. The wings have a puzzly like shape to them at the root and they will interlock together with some force applied and that is all it takes to hold them in place. The aileron servo connections are nicely located in the bottom of the wing saddle and you can connect the aileron leads before or after installing the wings.

The only thing left to do now is to install your receiver, center the servos and surfaces mechanically and set your battery placement to achieve the proper CG. There are some bumps on the bottom of the wing at the CG location to make checking the balance with your fingers fast and easy. I'm using a 3S 2700mAh lipo I had on hand and the battery needs to slide back under the wing to get the CG right, which is exactly where they show the battery living in the manual. I used some Velcro to secure the battery to the floor of the fuselage. I also changed out the Multiplex battery connector to an XT60 since that was what my battery had on it. It should take you less than half an hour to get ready to fly!

Flying

Take Offs

For a hand launch airplane, it almost doesn't get any easier than this. The Easyglider 4 has a nice fuselage that makes it easy to grab and it's plenty secure even if you are on the slope in gusty conditions. On flat land, I just power up to full throttle and give it kind of a limp wristed flick forward. That's all it takes, you don't have throw your arm out getting this one in the air. It has plenty of power for a nice steep climb out, but not enough for unlimited vertical.

Basics

This is such an easy plane to fly. It is incredibly stable and forgiving, some would even say relaxing to fly. You can use the ailerons or the rudder (or ideally both!) for steering and it just does what you tell it to do. I threw the manual suggested throws out the window and maxed out my control throws with about 20% expo and even then it was well mannered and docile if you wanted it to be.

Aerobatics

Aerobatics is not the primary purpose of the Easyglider 4, but you can do some slow rolls, loops, side slips and inverted flight just fine. Just don't expect it to perform like a purpose built acro sailplane and you'll be fine, but you can certainly get aggressive with it and have some fun if that's what you like.

Will it Soar?

Why yes, yes it will soar, thanks for asking. On my first couple of test flights I managed to find a few thermals to climb out without the motor running and even hit some slope lift off of a ridgeline across the field. It indicates lift and thermals well, but on my first couple of thermal turns I tried to core a low level thermal by turning too tightly causing the nose to drop. It wasn't a stall, just that I couldn't keep the nose up to maintain a level attitude while turning. I was flying it like my DLGs, but it needs a little more room for circling and once I got that sorted out, it happily climbed out. I was able to catch a low level bubble, around 40ft high and ride it up and out to a couple hundred feet before making my way back home.

I also saw that based on the wind direction, that I might be able to make it across the field, and over to a nice sized ridge line and catch some slope lift so I hammered the throttle and headed that way. It stayed flat for a while and then it jumped up 20-30ft instantly and I knew I finally hit it. I surfed back and forth gaining altitude with the motor off with a big smile on my face. It looks like I'll be flying this plane in the LMR contest at SEFF next year!

Landings

Being a sailplane, this plane glides and glides and glides. That doesn't mean it's hard to land though. I was able to land in a small patch of grass right next to our runway by surfing the wind left and right to lose speed and altitude. It doesn't take long to learn the glide path and set it down right where you want to. I love that they have a piece of protective plastic film on the bottom of the fuselage to keep sticks or hard pieces of grass or debris from damaging the foam. The fuselage should up well to many landings.

Beginners?

Maybe! It's gentle flying characteristics mean that low time pilots can be successful, but I'd suggest you find an instructor to help you get going. The Easyglider 4 makes for a great 2nd airplane too or in my case like the 400th.

Video

Photos

Conclusion

I'm loving the EasyGlider 4, I knew I would be going in so it's no surprize really. The plane retains the great soaring capabilities of the original model, while updating the design features to make it easier to build and field assemble. I like that the wings and stabs come off with almost no hardware (just one nylon bolt for the tail) which means you can get it in a small sport tube to take with you on a vacation or a soaring trip. The pricing is pretty spot on too, for under $200, you just need to add a receiver and a battery and you are ready to have some fun.

You can find the Multiplex EasyGlider 4 at Weekender Warehouse

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Nov 14, 2017, 06:26 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
I'm loving it so far !
Nov 15, 2017, 09:01 AM
I can remember all the way back to the first easyglider that multiplex came out with a brushed speed 400 motor and folding prop. I have flown and own currently the easy glider pro and the airfoil looks similar. Looks like some changes to the structure is all, removable tail and better wing system, square spar vs rounded for wings and other minor changes. Motor wires still get in the way of servos it looks Fun to fly.
Nov 15, 2017, 09:40 AM
RCG Admin
The motor wires are hot glued between the servos so as to stay out of the way.
Nov 15, 2017, 09:42 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Looks like another winner.

Dave
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Nov 15, 2017, 02:31 PM
Great review, I am huge fan of these wonderful birds (have two, both older versions).

It’s such a “feel good” model that it should be available by medical prescription!

Cheers
Nov 15, 2017, 09:20 PM
An Original!
Got mine coming from Weekender Warehouse. They look like nice gliders. Good review also. Thanks.
Last edited by Gliderguy; Nov 15, 2017 at 09:30 PM.
Nov 15, 2017, 09:36 PM
An Original!
Where would one get the field carrying bag that I saw on one of the videos?
Nov 16, 2017, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliderguy
Where would one get the field carrying bag that I saw on one of the videos?
Unfortunately they're not available in the US, you would have to purchase from overseas.
Nov 27, 2017, 11:07 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Will Foam-Tac glue work with Multiplex foam??
I've always had trouble finding strong adhesive for multiplex foams....
Nov 27, 2017, 11:13 AM
RCG Admin
I haven't had any need to try it yet on my EasyGliders, but I love Foam Tac and see no reason why it wouldn't work great.
Nov 27, 2017, 11:48 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Jason
will HotGlue work also? Or is this a no-no on Multiplex foams?
I had a CULARIS back in the day, and i remember it being VERY difficult
gluing(temporarily) FPV VidTX on outside of Glider
Nov 27, 2017, 03:53 PM
RCG Admin
Not sure on hot glue, I rarely use it. I would think it would stick, but probably better to ask in a more active Multiplex thread to see what the community says from experience.
Nov 28, 2017, 02:41 AM
CA is the great classic for foam. No epoxy definitely.

Though, to assemble the two fuselage halves, years ago before leaving foam, my preference was for double side adhesive tape, strong grip, but still possible to open later for changes inside.
Such tape is what I mean:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/acrylic-foam-tape-5m.html
or any similar tape, with foamy structure, not plastic film, up to 1mm thick, able to accommodate the foam surface irregularities.
Nov 28, 2017, 03:59 PM
Medium CA glue is recommended, though we have had great success with FoamTac. Hot Glue can be used to glue servos into servo pockets.