Boldclash b06 brushless bwhoop whoop full review.....ITS GOOD! - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by nigelsheffield, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 11, 2017, 03:00 AM
Mini-Review

Boldclash b06 brushless bwhoop whoop full review.....ITS GOOD!

I have been flying the boldclash b06 brushless fpv whoop for a couple of days now and it is seemingly unbreakable (I've crashed it a lot ) and here is my written review.
Video review here for those who prefer that.
Boldclash b06 brushless fpv quad bind and fly whoop review unboxing and short setup (9 min 26 sec)

Item and spares here link http://www.boldclash.com/tag-bwhoop-...utm_term=tower
Price is around $100 for bnf versions which are available as frsky, spektrum dsm2/X, futaba and a version without reciever for $90
First up some pictures of what you get in the box.
Name: IMG_20171108_144035.jpg
Views: 66
Size: 833.5 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20171108_144206.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 957.1 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20171108_144225.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 845.5 KB
Description:
Name: IMG_20171108_144239.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 1.14 MB
Description: Name: IMG_20171108_144252.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 967.5 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20171109_195525.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 858.0 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20171109_195454.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 920.4 KB
Description:

As you can see it's another brushless whoop for which there have been a number of attempts lately but this one is the first that imo genuinely hold up in crash after crash just like a whoop and is totally safe indoors.
I got the DSM version to go with my dx6i so my daughter can fly it whilst I fly another whoop on my taranis.

Out of the box it comes with a battery, 2 spare sets of props(8) a charger which can select 2 different charge rates and a usb lead for charging and connecting to betaflight and of course instructions in English and Chinese.
Oh and a lever to remove props.
There is a version with 2 extra batteries for an extra $7 or so and I think that is worth getting( I did ).

Getting it flying was fairly easy, no building skills needed and I will outline the procedure at the bottom of the review.
Obviously it has betaflight and so everything can be adjusted to your own tastes.

The main advantage here is the brushless motors won't wear out like brushed ones, and these motors are well protected from crash damage.

Flying it,
it has good power but it's no power house, imo opinion it is just right for indoors though ( edit I've since flown it outside myself and it has plenty of power, it easily rolls and loops ) and combined with the great design which protects everything in the quad is a great beginners quad and also a great quad for those winter months for expert flyer who can't get outside to fly.
Outside it will fly in calm winds pretty well too but I don't think it will be a good idea to fly in high winds.
It has enough power to do manual flips indoors in both Los and fpv ( though I need to improve my fpv skills to do this reliably lol )
It is fast and fun and just like flying a whoop but with a little more power and more solid locked in feeling that the brushless motors give.

Camera.
Picture is good and copes ok with different light conditions , reception and range is excellent and I could fly all around my house with no problem. Again the frame protects the camera completely and I don't see any damage after multiple crashes even on hard laminate flooring.

Motors/ props
0703 motors are used and yet again they are well protected in a crash.
The nice thing is IF you do need to change a motor they just plug into the board with no soldering needed, just 3 screws to remove the motor.
I bought a spare motor just in case , not need to buy CCW or cw because the prop just pushes on to the shaft.
There is a lever included for getting the pros off which is good, when you push a new prop on I strongly suggest that you support the bottom of the shaft somehow to stop the shaft from being pushed out of the bell of the motor, if it does get pushed out though it is still possible to push it back but better to support it in the first place.

Flight controller / ESC .
This is an aio design so takes very little space and is an F3 on betaflight 3.16 but of course can be upgraded to newer version of betaflight.
It uses oneshot125 and not d shot but made no difference in flight, it works just fine.
There is no osd or telemtry though so timing flights is required to save your battery, however on stock pids it is obvious when the battery is getting low because it gets a little wobbly.

Receiver.
I got the DSM version and it works well, range has not been an issue so far. It does dsm2 and dsmx.

Frame.
It's superb, really strong and flexible and protects all electronics very well indeed.
Looks very attractive and a very polished design.
I don't brink it will EVER break!
Setting up notes.

Setting camera frequency.
This is done by long and short presses of the top button and looking at the LEDs inside through the slots, they are LEDs in a row and not a numerical display , I find this ok once you get used to it and instructions are clear to follow.

Binding reciever.
Select a new model on dx6i. Turn off dx6i
Press button on reciever with a tooth pick or something and plug in battery, led will flash to indicate bind mode, then turn on dx6i with trainer switch pulled to enter bind and success!
Dsm2 1024, and dsmx 2048 both work.

Setting dx6i.
Go to travel adjust and change everything from 100% up to 125% BOTH stick directions, if you don't do this the squad won't arm as it expect throttle to be at -125% at bottom!
Rudder and aileron channels needed reversing.
I also needed to set flaps so that it went full deflection both ways( in flap menu).

Betaflight settings.
Initially only level mode is set.
To set modes other than level mode I went into betaflight and then to modes and set the aux1 and au2 channels up to control arming of motors and level mode. These are flap and gear on dx6i.
I found that the stock pids are ok and just used them for now.
However I felt it needed more rates and less super yaw but that's just personal choice, k set the rates to 2.0 and super yaw to .5 but that's probably too much for a beginner and I suggest changing these settings a little bit at a time if you are new.
Be quad my dx6i is old and gimbals are a bit worn I then noticed the quad drift a little and fixed this by adding a dead band of 4.

Pros and cons.

Pros
No building needed
Easy to fly
Strong and well designed frame.
Everything is well protected.
Brushless motors won't wear out and are on plugs for easy replacement if needed.
Multiple reciever options.
Fpv works very well.
Very flyable indoors.

Cons.
Could use just a little bit more power for outside in strong winds.( But is still ok in light winds and to be honest if it had more power it might then be too much for indoors )
No d shot so no turtle mode.
No telemtry.
No osd.

Conclusion and who should buy it.

This is the best brushless whoop out there right now without a doubt imo, mainly because it's so tough and pretty and it just works properly.
It is suited best for indoors/garden/playground and anyone should be able to fly it and enjoy it,
Beginner will have the option of starting in level mode and progressing onto acro etc whilst experienced flyer will love ripping it around and doing flips indoors and round the garden or further afield ...

Purchase from here.
http://www.boldclash.com/tag-bwhoop-...utm_term=tower

Some video of Los and fpv.

Boldclash b06 brushless whoop line of sight indoors acro flight with flips. (1 min 3 sec)
Boldclash b06 brushless fpv quad bind and fly whoop first FPV acro flight indoors and crash flip lol (0 min 38 sec)
Fpv Flight no 2 of the boldclash b06 brushless bnf whoop. (1 min 28 sec)

Bnf brushless whoop acro stunts around garden b06 boldclash has no problem with wet grass lol. (1 min 53 sec)
IT ROLLS INDOORS FPV Boldclash b06 brushless bnf whoop IS HERE acro fpv flips in fly living room (0 min 59 sec)
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Nov 25, 2017 at 02:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2017, 04:31 AM
Someone has updated the betaflight and reports good results on these settings, I have flown it in the garden again with these pids etc and rolls and loops are much easier now , more locked in all round.

update betaflight in 3.2.3 on mine :

D-term filter on PT1
notch filter 1 an 2 OFF
Dynamic filter ON

set p_pitch = 64
set i_pitch = 54
set d_pitch = 19
set p_roll = 64
set i_roll = 54
set d_roll = 19
set p_yaw = 80
set i_yaw = 45

Rc-rate 1.50

and now it's very locked and better response

Motor repair.
Some users have had the motor bell come off in bad crashes and so boldclash have released some spare parts to fix it and a video to show how to do the repair.
【Updated】Solution for rotor upper cover back to BWhoop B06 (3 min 35 sec)

Spare parts. http://www.boldclash.com/boldclash-m...otor-p167.html
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Dec 21, 2017 at 02:47 AM.
Nov 11, 2017, 04:36 AM
Name: IMG_20171109_174529.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 489.8 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_20171109_174550.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 520.2 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_20171109_174621.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 512.3 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_20171109_174637.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 484.0 KB
Description: As requested I took pictures of the instructions.
Latest blog entry: Introducing puppy to my whoop.
Nov 12, 2017, 03:20 AM
I had a request asking how to bind this to the t8sg transmitter, although I don't have one myself so I don't know if channels need reversing etc I should think it is just a case of selecting a new basic plane model and choosing dsm2 or dsmx ( if you have not got the latest firm ware on the t8sg dsmx may not work but dsm2 will work fine ) and then putting the b06 into bind by pressing the tiny button with tooth pick or something and plugging battery in, then you can release the button and the LED should be flashing , now put the t8sg into bind via the menu and it should bind.
Hope this helps and if someone has the t8sg and can share the exact method it would be great.
Nov 12, 2017, 08:10 AM
Thanks for that Nigel,
Great review and I hope to see you do some more soon!
Nov 12, 2017, 10:44 AM
Glad you liked the review,
Yes I hope to do more reviews, I really enjoy it actually.( Who doesn't like playing with new toys?!?! )
Nov 13, 2017, 06:22 AM
I flew outside in the garden today and managed to do flips easily in the extra space, my garden is not huge and there was some light winds , no video (sorry DVR on goggles stopped ) but I will get some video of outside flying soon.
It felt better than I had expected outside and coped with the wind better than the b03 by a long way, similar in power to my brushed h101 on x9 frame with silverware but slightly more locked in with the brushless motors.
I can see this being fun in kiddies playground going through swings and slides etc on a fairly calm day...
Nov 14, 2017, 06:17 AM
Now that I've run quite a few batteries through this thing I am finding it seems to have more power than when I first flew it, I don't know if it's a temperature thing or all in the mind as I get more confident or if the batteries are just working better after a few cycles....

I flew a few batteries through in LEVEL mode to see how it handled and it was very easy and a lot of fun to fly like that with no drift problems and plenty of power still...
I just prefer acro personally even though it is a bit tricky indoors is feels smoother and is more exciting for me...
Nov 15, 2017, 12:28 PM
How many minutes flight time outside ? 4 ?
Nov 15, 2017, 12:54 PM
I was stopping at around d 3:40 to be on the safe side ( no telemtry) but battery was at about 3.74v so 4 minutes could be done easy enough.

Doing loops and rolls fpv in my garden was great fun and not something that I've managed to do with much success with any other quad.
The trick is to end the loop or roll with some forward speed and nose down a little and get back on the power early. Definitely something I will be practicing some more, you know, for science and research lol!
Nov 16, 2017, 05:23 AM
I updated first post to reflect on the power because I had said that it was maybe not suited for outside because it could use more power, I had based this on another video of it outside because I hadn't had a chance to fly due to wind and rain ..
But since flying it yesterday I have changed my opinion and it certainly has enough power to fly outside very well as long as it's not too windy.
I will probably make me a short video review again on the long term use of this, I know it's not really been very long but I have flown it a lot and crashed it no end and nothing has broken and I think it's good to get the word out as I know a lot of people have been asking me about it and are very interested to know my opinion on this quad,
Seeing as there are only a few of these out there and I'm the only one flying it constantly ( other reviewers have lots of quads to review and tend to only have time to do a couple of flights before moving onto the next quad ) I thought I would share my findings as much and as quickly as possible for those who are considering this quad.

On that note I can say it has more power even than shown on that garden video, reason is I was not using full throttle because I am used to my silverised quads which have a different throttle curve and can't use full throttle on those , but I have since flown in the garden with full throttle on the b06 and it handles it fine and really climbs fast up and over the roof of my house!
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Nov 16, 2017 at 05:28 AM.
Nov 23, 2017, 04:35 AM
I see you have DSM version - is it OK? No unexpected drops from the sky and range is good?
Because DSM and FlySky are for now only options for me because I don't have FrySky in my Devo...
Last edited by silverAG; Nov 23, 2017 at 04:53 AM.
Nov 23, 2017, 06:09 AM
It's been 100% fine but I've not ventured very far, but around my house and garden there has been no problem with control ...
I tested it at the top of the stairs because this is where I can sometimes get a little bit of holds with silverware quads and it was fine so it's at least as good if not slightly better than the h101 b03 quads.

To choose between dsm and flysky I would maybe go for flysky but I'm basing this on past experience with my gliders on old dsm2 recievers which had great range but unexplained loss of control sometimes...

Does your Devo do flysky and DSM but not frsky? I don't have a devo so it was either frsky for my taranis or DSM for my dx6i, I chose the dx6i so that I could have a race against others using both my good txs, I figured DSM would be p!entry good enough for this little thing anyway.
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Nov 23, 2017 at 06:26 AM.
Nov 23, 2017, 06:30 AM
Regarding racing I thought it might be a bit unfair to race this against a b03 or even the b03 pro and I can't afford 2 of these so I'm ordering the 19000kv insane motors to give my b03 a boost https://goo.gl/EpZsu7 , should be a bit more of a fair fight then lol, I just need to get my wife and daughter to practice some more...
Nov 23, 2017, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
It's been 100% fine but I've not ventured very far, but around my house and garden there has been no problem with control ...
I tested it at the top of the stairs because this is where I can sometimes get a little bit of holds with silverware quads and it was fine so it's at least as good if not slightly better than the h101 b03 quads.

To choose between dsm and flysky I would maybe go for flysky but I'm basing this on past experience with my gliders on old dsm2 recievers which had great range but unexplained loss of control sometimes...

Does your Devo do flysky and DSM but not frsky? I don't have a devo so it was either frsky for my taranis or DSM for my dx6i, I chose the dx6i so that I could have a race against others using both my good txs, I figured DSM would be p!entry good enough for this little thing anyway.
I have DSM and FlySky (I edited my post )... So, it is better to choose FlySky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
Regarding racing I thought it might be a bit unfair to race this against a b03 or even the b03 pro and I can't afford 2 of these so I'm ordering the 19000kv insane motors to give my b03 a boost https://goo.gl/EpZsu7 , should be a bit more of a fair fight then lol, I just need to get my wife and daughter to practice some more...
So, B06 is faster than B03 pro with stock motors... Nice.

Quick Reply