Nov 10, 2017, 10:44 PM
Alert

RC Boat rescue gone bad

PLEASE don't do this!!

Kiro 7 News article
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2017, 12:58 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Yessir! An RC rescue boat can save a life, indirectly. It might have in this case.
Do NOT risk everything on recovering a toy, ever.
Nov 11, 2017, 01:39 AM
In COLD water, I don't want to go out period.
Even in one of my rafts, with a PFD on, and I "used" to raft Lake Tahoe and one of the rivers feeding it. It was always a shock if you fell in, even if it was only 3'- 4' deep.
Nov 11, 2017, 12:01 PM
I crashed one of my planes a couple hundred yards away in a lite to medium snow fall. I was trying to test out my new snow ski's. Luckily I was on my own property, I went in and got dressed in my cold weather gear, boots, bibs, jackets, gloves, before trying to get the plane back.

Getting into cold water for a toy, nope, I will go to the store and buy a new one or build one. No toy is worth some one life. This is very sad to hear some one dies for $100.00. Everything but life is replaceable.

Buzz.
Nov 11, 2017, 12:06 PM
r/c ships and workboats
We have cold water in this part of the world--even in the summer. It doesn't take long for hypothermia to set in---even if just knee deep in the water and clothing is wet. Don't risk it!
Nov 11, 2017, 01:34 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
I crashed one of my planes a couple hundred yards away in a lite to medium snow fall.

Now, THAT'S a dedicated flyer...
Nov 11, 2017, 01:44 PM
When I was living at Tahoe,I wanted to run my PT one winter day. I had to break up the "shore ice" so I could get my boat out to open water. My favorite pond, had more ice than the lake. Dressed properly, 26 degrees is fine model boating weather!
Nov 11, 2017, 02:40 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB
When I was living at Tahoe,I wanted to run my PT one winter day. I had to break up the "shore ice" so I could get my boat out to open water. My favorite pond, had more ice than the lake. Dressed properly, 26 degrees is fine model boating weather!

Should have built a Russian icebreaker instead of the PT...
Nov 13, 2017, 08:20 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave
Temps in the teens, as I recall. Beautiful day, though.

Dave

Ya. And here's your boat operator....

Back to my warm Lazyboy...
Nov 14, 2017, 02:51 PM
A D,

When I was running my PT in the winter, I was also getting up on 1 - 3 hours sleep for a 12 hour shift operating snow equipment. After 2 weeks of nights in plows, with the temps in the teens, a sunny day off was great. I would run my boat, or go hiking in the snow.

This is what plowing in the middle of the night looks like.
Nov 14, 2017, 07:33 PM
Ice! Snow!? We start to complain when the air temperature gets down below ten degrees overnight. That's Centigrade, not them Frankensteinheit degrees.

Cheers,

Terry
Nov 15, 2017, 12:36 PM
I think it is safe to say, you will NOT have a white Christmas.
Nov 15, 2017, 03:07 PM

Such a shame!

Such a senseless loss of life...Every man that has boats should have a better rescue craft!! Never put your (or someone else's) life in harms way! Always have a good backup plan!

-Rich.