FAA registration is back. - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Nov 10, 2017, 09:15 PM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Discussion

FAA registration is back.


Looks like they snuck it in under the radar attached to a defense bill:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...vember-9-2017/

They didn't say anything publicly about it, just quietly tacked it on and waited for it to pass without any opposition.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 09:34 PM
Registered User
GSXR1000's Avatar
Yep, I never cancelled mine. They are adding it to the NDAA National Defense Authorization Act...
Nov 10, 2017, 10:51 PM
Here to just enjoy the hobby
Rhea's Avatar
It still doesn't bother me that we are to register.
I still don't see how it will prevent the things the authorities think it will.
Nov 10, 2017, 11:04 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea
It still doesn't bother me that we are to register.
I still don't see how it will prevent the things the authorities think it will.
Honestly if could offer any better proof it would better then not having it is this very board.

Many here will come up with any and every other reason they possibly could to say that this should not be done.

But the truth is the last thing they want is some way to find them if they did something wrong with their drone.

Let alone be brought to be held accountable in some way for that.

An the only reason that would be is they know they are doing things they should not be doing in the first place.

So if its scaring enough of the people around here in the first place for them to freak out over it as much as they are, then I would argue right there is plenty enough proof that this is going to be at least better then just letting those people do what ever they want.

It really is the simple case of if you are already as safe as you say you are and already doing all the right kind of flying you say you are, you should not have a problem with this.

But if you do, then probably stands to reason you are not actually doing all the things you say you are.
Nov 10, 2017, 11:44 PM
And You're Not
Oh snap, 250g and under don't require registration. That's gonna disappoint the zealots.
Latest blog entry: My Quad
Nov 11, 2017, 01:02 AM
Registered User
JohnsPop's Avatar
So what changed that now this is ok? Did Congress completely toss out 336 and there's no special rule for model aircraft any more? If that's the case, I'd say the AMA is a complete and total failure and their "working closely with Congress" should be a slap in the face to members. If they said, "Hey Congress and the FAA is doing their thing and there's really nothing we can do about it", fine. But to keep pretending that they're making a difference while flushing tons of money down the drain is nothing but a joke.
Nov 11, 2017, 01:04 AM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir
Honestly if could offer any better proof it would better then not having it is this very board.

Many here will come up with any and every other reason they possibly could to say that this should not be done.

But the truth is the last thing they want is some way to find them if they did something wrong with their drone.

Let alone be brought to be held accountable in some way for that.

An the only reason that would be is they know they are doing things they should not be doing in the first place.

So if its scaring enough of the people around here in the first place for them to freak out over it as much as they are, then I would argue right there is plenty enough proof that this is going to be at least better then just letting those people do what ever they want.

It really is the simple case of if you are already as safe as you say you are and already doing all the right kind of flying you say you are, you should not have a problem with this.

But if you do, then probably stands to reason you are not actually doing all the things you say you are.
I don't fly drones and I see no reason why I should have to register a helicopter that never goes more than 100 yards away from me or over 300 feet. If they want people to register autonomous drones that can fly BLOS fine but it makes NO sense to require registration for traditional model aircraft.

And don't even try to tell me "b-b-but there no way to separate them!" because you know DAMN WELL that there is a way, lack of autonomy or FPV = traditional model aircraft.
Nov 11, 2017, 01:39 AM
lurking in the HOLE :)
KCV6's Avatar
There is no way to separate them..... js
Nov 11, 2017, 01:56 AM
Registered User
You thought the registration requirement was going to just quietly go away?

The government made a rule, it got shot down in court, so they came up with a new regulation that will be harder to challenge.

Same thing happened with the ban on people from certain countries. The first instance didn't work out. So they did it a different way that, so far, has been harder to overturn.
Nov 11, 2017, 07:48 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
mike2663's Avatar
Again the AMA was asleep at the wheel while this gets put in a bill........................................ Just when does this "advocating for modelers" start ? Oh I remember their selling commercial drone insurance.

Just what Happened to Sec. 336 which is still the law of the land?

Mike
Nov 11, 2017, 07:56 AM
above us only sky
Renfield's Avatar
Let's put it in perspective. Number of people killed by model aircraft this year: 0 Number of people killed THIS MONTH by assault weapons: 26.

Tell me again why our beloved government is so concerned about model aircraft?

Might just as well register 2x4 studs for the dangers posed by splinters.
Nov 11, 2017, 08:13 AM
Gene Simmons for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield
Let's put it in perspective. Number of people killed by model aircraft this year: 0 Number of people killed THIS MONTH by assault weapons: 26.

Tell me again why our beloved government is so concerned about model aircraft?

Might just as well register 2x4 studs for the dangers posed by splinters.
Number of people killed THIS MONTH by assault weapons: 0.

Get your facts straight.

Number of mentally defective people running around is the scary fact.
Nov 11, 2017, 08:22 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
I don't fly drones and I see no reason why I should have to register a helicopter that never goes more than 100 yards away from me or over 300 feet. If they want people to register autonomous drones that can fly BLOS fine but it makes NO sense to require registration for traditional model aircraft.

And don't even try to tell me "b-b-but there no way to separate them!" because you know DAMN WELL that there is a way, lack of autonomy or FPV = traditional model aircraft.
AS I don't know why you are all mad at me as I pretty much feel the same as you.

An I fly primarily RC helicopters myself.

The rest of us got used by the drone people and all the people who were looking to make money from them. So get mad at them.

I would be very much in favor of classifying our different rc aircraft per what their threat level is just as this is done with real aircraft by the FAA.

But every time I have ever brought that up and even when I did this from day one here, right off you get the ones who see that as not helping them who just completely can the idea.
Nov 11, 2017, 08:24 AM
Gene Simmons for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
Oh snap, 250g and under don't require registration. That's gonna disappoint the zealots.
Yup.
The AMA can go pound sand they aren't getting a dime from me.They sold us out so they could line their pockets, guess what? I'm not going for it.
This is all about money and nothing else.
Nov 11, 2017, 08:26 AM
I miss President Reagan
KMK001's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield
Let's put it in perspective. Number of people killed by model aircraft this year: 0 Number of people killed THIS MONTH by assault weapons: 26.
..............................................
OK, tell me again. What device when used to cause harm to a human being is NOT an assault weapon?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alert I Got My $5 For The Registration Back From The FAA. 9XTremist Model Aircraft & Drone Advocacy 40 Jul 11, 2017 10:49 AM
Link FAA Drone Registration Deletion get your $5 back BE77 Pilot Life, The Universe, and Politics 4 Jul 08, 2017 03:00 AM
New Product Engraved FAA registration number tags GregsEngraving Multirotor Drone Talk 0 Oct 30, 2016 07:11 AM
Discussion USA FAA Registration number tags, engraved GregsEngraving FPV Talk 0 Oct 30, 2016 07:04 AM
Discussion FAA registration effect on hobby industry sales J0972 Model Aircraft & Drone Advocacy 50 Jul 18, 2016 10:25 AM