Is Trump's Crass the new American norm? - RC Groups
Nov 10, 2017, 05:20 PM
Discussion

Is Trump's Crass the new American norm?

It has been difficult for me to grasp that Texas and the South in general has bought hook line and sinker the crass of Donald Trump. Texas has generally been a place where they say "yes sir and ma'am" and teach respect, regard for others and decorum.

A year ago, my wife and I made the Monday opening day for the Texas Rangers baseball team and while walking the mile and a half through the tail gaiters were impressed with what we saw. Every where young people were having fun. No one was playing their camp music too loud. No one was intoxicated. No one was skimpily clad. Again... we were impressed, but not surprised as Texas is generally a hospitable place where respect and regard for others is generally the norm.

How is it that Texas has embraced Trump.... or will they really now that his crass has sunk in? Will he really be able to dumb Texas culture down to his level of crass?
Nov 10, 2017, 06:36 PM
LOL

Wont hear in the mainstream media because it`s probably BS.
Nov 10, 2017, 06:39 PM

Correction

He is very crass.
Nov 10, 2017, 07:13 PM
No retreat no surrender
Yes
Trumps example has emboldened people across the nation to unleash their inner jerk.
Just look at what happens here on a daily basis.
There used to be pretty civil discussions here.
This topic was covered pretty well in the thread "this place used to be fun".
Nov 10, 2017, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy
Yes
Trumps example has emboldened people across the nation to unleash their inner jerk.
Excellent observation. We ALL have the capability, ready to be unleashed at any moment, to be vile, self centered, greedy, and downright nasty and uncivilized towards our fellow humans.

The ones to watch out for are the virtue signalers (from both sides of the aisle), who would argue till doomsday that they are somehow 'above' the human condition.
Nov 10, 2017, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2
He is very crass.
Agreed. And I'll also state unequivocally that you or I would be JUST as crass given the right set of circumstances. Please spare me the details of how you wouldn't.
Nov 10, 2017, 07:26 PM

Maybe you would like to be another Trumpet.

But at 80. I never will be that dirt bag cheating workers getting less than minimum wages. And then suing the workers.
Nov 10, 2017, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY
It has been difficult for me to grasp that Texas and the South in general has bought hook line and sinker the crass of Donald Trump. Texas has generally been a place where they say "yes sir and ma'am" and teach respect, regard for others and decorum.

A year ago, my wife and I made the Monday opening day for the Texas Rangers baseball team and while walking the mile and a half through the tail gaiters were impressed with what we saw. Every where young people were having fun. No one was playing their camp music too loud. No one was intoxicated. No one was skimpily clad. Again... we were impressed, but not surprised as Texas is generally a hospitable place where respect and regard for others is generally the norm.

How is it that Texas has embraced Trump.... or will they really now that his crass has sunk in? Will he really be able to dumb Texas culture down to his level of crass?
That’s a very interesting point and a good post, AA. I am also very baffled by some of the groups who have embraced Trump. In many cases his behavior seems very much at odds with the norms of the group that supports him. My favorite example of that is evangelical Christians.

I can’t for the life of me understand how those folks see trump in a positive light. He is a thrice married (in each case to an obvious trophy wife) admitted philanderer. I’m not a prude and pretty much don’t judge people over those kind of things. I think that is between the people in that marriage. But how can evangelicals, who had a fit over bill Clinton (who is still in his first marriage) lying about a BJ so that he wouldn’t get in trouble with his wife, actually embrace this guy? What am I missing?

And this same guy, who lamely claims that the Bible is his favorite book, makes reference to “two Corinthians”. Seriously? I am not a Christian. I was not raised going to church. Even I know that is not how it is expressed. He is 70 years old and he says that? And I am supposed to believe that he has even the most basic knowledge, experience or interest in the Christian faith? How in the world can a rational person believe that? Yet all the polls say that evangelical Christians are all about this guy. Wow.
Nov 10, 2017, 07:28 PM
whiirrrrrr
Unfortunately Texans of today aren't nearly as genteel as the OP makes them out. Maybe 40 years ago...
Nov 10, 2017, 07:35 PM
Sloping off....
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy
Yes
^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^
Nov 11, 2017, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda466
That’s a very interesting point and a good post, AA. I am also very baffled by some of the groups who have embraced Trump. In many cases his behavior seems very much at odds with the norms of the group that supports him. My favorite example of that is evangelical Christians.

I can’t for the life of me understand how those folks see trump in a positive light. He is a thrice married (in each case to an obvious trophy wife) admitted philanderer. I’m not a prude and pretty much don’t judge people over those kind of things. I think that is between the people in that marriage. But how can evangelicals, who had a fit over bill Clinton (who is still in his first marriage) lying about a BJ so that he wouldn’t get in trouble with his wife, actually embrace this guy? What am I missing?

And this same guy, who lamely claims that the Bible is his favorite book, makes reference to “two Corinthians”. Seriously? I am not a Christian. I was not raised going to church. Even I know that is not how it is expressed. He is 70 years old and he says that? And I am supposed to believe that he has even the most basic knowledge, experience or interest in the Christian faith? How in the world can a rational person believe that? Yet all the polls say that evangelical Christians are all about this guy. Wow.
I'm surprised by evangelicals also, especially given the interchange between Trump and Russel Moore. For those who don't know, Moore is the chairman of the Ethics Commission of the largest protestant denomination in the US.... the Southern Baptist Church. He wrote an op ed shortly after the primary season started about the slate of candidates and Trump attacked Moore and called him a nasty guy among other things.

That attack seemed huge to me then and I couldn't believe that any serious candidate would make such an attack on perhaps the most significant leader of evangelicals in the South. We've now of course have come to know that Trump can't help himself, lashing back at any criticism is what he does. Russel Moore it seems, was not in touch with his flock... as pastors of large congregations rebuffed Moore's assessment and supported Trump.

In the end, it does seem rather strange that evangelicals would cozy up to Trump... but no doubt had their reasons.... such as a conservative SCOTUS appointment at all cost. Evangelicals are nearly willing to sell their souls to the devil to win a culture war battle after so many defeats and believe strongly their best hope of doing so is abortion. Desperate to regain the moral high ground they've lost, they are willing to do just about anything and think that a conservative SCOTUS is their best and perhaps only hope.
Nov 11, 2017, 07:25 AM
How can you people be so blind ?

Did you not know,or care who the alternative was.
Nov 11, 2017, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike One
How can you people be so blind ?

Did you not know,or care who the alternative was.
So.... others with a different perspective than you are blind? A bit arrogant, eh.
Nov 11, 2017, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY

I dunno?...will you ?...I'm betting not...you might just have to shuck in on back over to California where you came from....

PS...this looks really REALLY desperate btw...you lost...get over it...