Remedial FPV 101.....dumb questions - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 10, 2017, 05:02 PM
Discussion

Remedial FPV 101.....dumb questions

If anyone has the time......a few most basic questions about FPV and/or telemetry......

If I am flying Spektrum, is there a way to get telemetry information such as altitude, speed, current left on battery, etc while in flight?

Is the only way to achieve this through a screen display or goggles?

Are there any telemetry sensors that work with Spektrum receivers? What all equipment do I need?

For FPV, I understand that I need a camera, a transmitter on board the plane, a receiver on the ground, and some kind of display. Anything else?

Does FrSky do this any better that Spektrum does?

Is there any way to try this stuff out in the world without buying it all myself? I'm in the Los Angeles area....

Thank you for your patience........
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 05:41 PM
IMHO, the best way to accomplish the amount of data you're talking about is with a flight controller like a Vector, and to use the On Screen Display (OSD) generated by the Vector. Price-wise, I personally don't feel like the Spektrum stuff is that great of a bargain. While a complete Vector system retails for $237, it has several huge benefits: return-to-home in case of signal loss; several really good types of stabilization; works with any TX/RX; data logging; ease of setup and configuration.

One of my planes has:
Vector (flight controller, GPS, current sensor)
Monster V2 camera, TrampHV video transmitter, pagoda antenna
FrSky L9R receiver

On the ground:
Some random 5.8GHz screen and DVR combination unit mounted on a tripod
TrueRC X^2 Air Antenna
Battery pack for screen

With that setup, I have flown out to 4 miles, and may be able to go a bit further. All the while having different stabilization modes, very rich amount of data in the OSD, return-to-home for when I run out of video or RC signal, etc.

You can go cheaper on the flight controller (Ardupilot, iNav, for example) but I just don't feel like it's worth it.
Nov 10, 2017, 05:47 PM
I agree that the Vector or micro Vector are the way to get what you want.

Mine is in a 8 1/2' old timer airplane with a Eagle camera and a cheap 5.8 transmitter. I currently have HD3 goggles but have used many monitors and other goggles. I don't fly super far away but I do fly high sometimes.
Nov 12, 2017, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll check into it.
Nov 13, 2017, 04:42 PM
Just seems to me that it would be a much more common thing to want to monitor altitude and battery current during flight.....guess not.
Nov 13, 2017, 09:24 PM
Frsky has standard sensors for battery monitoring and a vario. Altitude is usually more accurate with a gps though and they have a standard gps sensor too.

There is also a fork of kvteam osd that takes osd info and outputs it as sport (modern frsky telemetry)
Nov 16, 2017, 08:19 PM
Don't forget a good vtx with osd. Not sure if the new Akk nano has it, but worth a look.