momokote variability? - RC Groups
Nov 10, 2017, 04:53 PM
Discussion

momokote variability?

I've just used some maroon monokote I bought from a LHS. This stuff was terrible to cover with, it does not shrink nearly as much as other colors I've used ( red, white, black ). Is this common? Do different colors shrink at varying amounts? Did I get an old roll? Very frustrating.

sigh, so frustrated I guess that I mistyped the thread header... erg.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 07:18 PM
Monokote has gone through some changes over the years. Stuff I used 10 years ago was absolute crap. These days it's not too bad keeping some things in mind. Order it straight from Tower to get fresh rolls. It needs to have that chemical smell to it. Don't expect it to shrink much and get the wood completely dust free before application, it does not stick as well as it used to.
Nov 11, 2017, 10:07 AM
Hope to get out of life alive
I haven't done it but it makes sense to me.... Some are using a normal prep including removing all the sanding dust. Then either spray with hairspray or very thin lacquer is sprayed on. Another light sanding and dust removal before covering. This supposedly gives a slightly better surface for the Monokote to bond to. You could also use Balsarite as an adhesion promoter. Balsarite only needs to be applied to those areas you want/need the Monokote to bond to.

Ken