Drone? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 10, 2017, 04:45 PM
Discussion

Drone?

Why the insistence on calling these things drones?
If they were called model airplanes or model helicopters, I think there would be less chance for TV stories to build these things up to be related to some military gadget, and add the sinister connotation that contributes to negative press.
I know it sounds cool, but really.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 04:51 PM
I miss President Reagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus14
If they were called model airplanes or model helicopters, I think there would be less chance for TV stories to build these things up to be related to some military gadget, and add the sinister connotation that contributes to negative press.
The FAA has officially defined them as DRONES.
Nov 10, 2017, 05:58 PM
Here to just enjoy the hobby
It's what the media started calling them in the beginning days of the frenzy and now that's what they are.
Nov 10, 2017, 06:47 PM
Gene Simmons for President
They call em drones, coz the zealots drone on and on about them.

They have to label them with a military term otherwise people wouldn't be afraid of them, no one is going to think twice about a "toy helicopter" but mention drone and they away run screaming.
Nov 10, 2017, 07:16 PM
And You're Not
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
The FAA has officially defined them as DRONES.
Defined what, exactly?
Latest blog entry: My Quad
Nov 10, 2017, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus14
In most official text the FAA uses the term UAS or if I recall correctly sUAS for most of our stuff.

But in a lot of more looser text the FAA will also use the term drones as primarily those are what are the things flown by people who have caused the majority of the problems and really are more who and what they are looking to deal with.

But really it was many in the hobby and the drone world who are actually responsible for this as they were the ones who, to put it most simply, said drones are us and we are drones, so if your going to regulate them, you have to regulate all of us as we are all the same.

The idea was they thought that would be helpful in dealing with the FAA and what was needed to be done because of drone flyers by throwing all of us into the same boat....but as it turns out it was not.

So in the end and again, this is a really simple way to put it, the FAA said fine, if you are all drones we will call you that and as well, we will just regulate you all.

So at this point and due to these people the term has just become synonymous with anything RC that flies.

I will just add that trust me, even with all that has happened for many of these same people they still see the use of the entire hobby to their advantage and so I have yet to find many who really have a problem with using the term.
Last edited by WBFAir; Nov 10, 2017 at 11:14 PM.
Nov 10, 2017, 10:55 PM
And You're Not
So the FAA defines drones as "Things flown by people who have caused all the problems"

Glad we finally got that definition nailed down.
Latest blog entry: My Quad
Nov 10, 2017, 10:56 PM
What does this button do?
WBFAir: Well there you go. A perfectly sensible non-exaggerating response. Nicely done. Sad but true. I would think that in the general publics mind that drone really means a quad as that would be the image and that they must be stopped according to them. Whereas that same general public wouldn't care less about a little rc plane flying around. But I would agree that for simple regulatory shorthand that drone is probably generally used. Unfortunately. I would prefer to see them regulatorally (sp?) separated for that reason.
Nov 11, 2017, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
So the FAA defines drones as "Things flown by people who have caused all the problems"

Glad we finally got that definition nailed down.

But he knows better than that, if that were the case then traditional model airplanes and helicopters would not be caught up in this as they have never caused problems.
Nov 16, 2017, 08:00 PM
This is funny as heck.
"Drone". Actually, to define the word drone would go all the way back after World War I. And to put it mildly, anything with the radio wave to a UN-manned aircraft would be considered a Drone. That is why I think that the FAA had lumped it all together back with the Drone registration process.
Yesterday, 09:09 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Then, there's this angle, too:

"Drones, as defined by the general public and shown on the 'Net:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rc+d...w=1366&bih=676

Model airplanes, as defined by the general public and shown on the 'Net:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=13....0.KETBCaGoZLM

Other than models of military drones, of which there are a few, how many fixed-wing model airplanes do you find in the first group?

How many drones do you find in the second group?

Don't limit yourself to the first page of each heading...try a few more. When you arrive to "show more results" at the bottom, click it, keep going. I'll wait..."

From one of my previous posts.

And, with a nod to Alienmenacet54, there was an R/C club in Long Beach many years ago (don't know if they still exist, couldn't find a web page ) named the B.I.R.D.s, which stood for 'Beginners In Radio Drones'

Sort of like calling all facial tissues "Kleenex", a registered trademark name, regardless of who really produced them. Most people know what you're talking about as it refers to something familiar.