Why do I lose video as soon as I spool up? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 10, 2017, 02:23 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Question

Why do I lose video as soon as I spool up?

Title says most of it. Built this 250 quad awhile back and never flew it. Video signal without motors on is sketchy. What I mean by this is limited range (say 100 feet) and if I tilt the quad I get distorted but usable video. When I spool up I lose video. My Tiny whoop with 50mW is better. Yes the TX and RX are on the same freq and I've tried all freqs with no change on any.

Quad - Afro Naze FCC, Overcraft board I think V3, DYS 1806 motors, tiny what ever is called OSD, TS351 tx (the 8 channel one), RC 305 RX, clover antennas, RMRC-800XVN camera.

Only thing that is "strange" is the on board 5v regulator does not seem to work. I have to power the 5v side with one of the ESCs (Overcraft board has a spot for this via ESC #1). I can't help but wonder if something is back feeding but given I'm a mechanical engineer I have a hard time spelling "back feeding" lol.

I have a spare Overcraft baord. is the fix as easy as moving parts or do I have something else going on. Hoping oneone else has had the same issue and resolved it.

Thanks
John
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 03:52 PM
Regurgitation Utensil.
you could try this.
Ultimate Low-ESR Capacitor Shopping List (6 min 0 sec)
Nov 10, 2017, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbyrne
Only thing that is "strange" is the on board 5v regulator does not seem to work. I have to power the 5v side with one of the ESCs (Overcraft board has a spot for this via ESC #1). I can't help but wonder if something is back feeding but given I'm a mechanical engineer I have a hard time spelling "back feeding" lol.
Define "not working". If you use a multimeter to measure the output of the 5V regulator, what do you see?

Second question, are you powering the VTX with pack voltage, or with 5V?
Nov 10, 2017, 08:50 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
VTX is pack. I have no power on the 5v traces until I land the esc BEC. That should still work just fine. I am now wondering if the issue is my TX or TX antenna. The goggles work just fine on my Tiny Whoop so probably not the RX
Nov 13, 2017, 02:38 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Still no idea why I'm having issues so will take the "trial and error" method to resolve. Will try TX/camera out of the quad and then go through each part depending on what I find replacing each till it works. Will let you know what I find.

John
Nov 13, 2017, 02:42 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
Sorry, forgot to reply to your post. I don't think this is the issue. I don't just get noise, I lose all TX signal. Goggles say "no signal". Very strange.
Nov 13, 2017, 03:19 PM
Regurgitation Utensil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbyrne
Sorry, forgot to reply to your post. I don't think this is the issue. I don't just get noise, I lose all TX signal. Goggles say "no signal". Very strange.
You mentioned you thought of back feeding.. that's why I posted that video about caps. Costs only pennies to try.
Could also be that your 5v regulator has issues delivering enough ampeage steadily.
Nov 13, 2017, 10:09 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
You mentioned you thought of back feeding.. that's why I posted that video about caps. Costs only pennies to try.
Could also be that your 5v regulator has issues delivering enough ampeage steadily.
Gotcha. Learning every day still