What type of glue for epo? - RC Groups
Nov 10, 2017, 11:43 AM
Discussion

What type of glue for epo?

I just had to cut of the nose of my area gamma because the motor shaft thing fell out and the nose had a big crack in it so I cut it off with a knife and now I'm not sure what glue to use to put it back. Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantaloupeman
I just had to cut of the nose of my area gamma because the motor shaft thing fell out and the nose had a big crack in it so I cut it off with a knife and now I'm not sure what glue to use to put it back. Thanks!
Beacon Foam Tac would work good for that

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Beacon-F...be_p_2515.html
Nov 10, 2017, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
Beacon Foam Tac would work good for that

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Beacon-F...be_p_2515.html
Will this foam cure glue work I'm not sure if it's the same
Nov 10, 2017, 01:57 PM
I've never used that, but it's likely good to (lots of adhesive choices for that repair).
I use white white gorilla glue a lot. but that expands quite a bit, so it does require a learning cure to get used to using it.
Nov 10, 2017, 02:26 PM
Here in Germany they have the stuff called Belli Zell(orange tube). It is the best foam glue imaginable…. So whatever the equivalent of that is where you live. ( I'd be curious to know what it is in the States by the way, if anybody happens to know… )
Nov 11, 2017, 06:23 PM
How good is gorilla glue? I have read a few places it isnt that strong.
Nov 11, 2017, 07:29 PM
Tucson,AZ
The glue you have pictured will work just fine for your EPO foam airplane. For quick field repairs, if the parts fit well together, you can use it like contact cement by putting glue on one surface then press the parts together. Immediately pull the parts apart and let the glue dry for 2 to 3 minutes. Get the parts lined up and press them together. The parts will not come apart again so make sure it's lined up perfectly. If you have some time just let the glue setup overnight and you are good to go.

Bye now...Wilton
Nov 11, 2017, 07:55 PM
Yup
The glue you have should work fine.

As for Gorilla glue, I've been using it for at least 6 years now, for some builds & many repairs.
Very strong & I've never had anything come apart or show any indication of doing so.
I use the white Gorilla glue, because the dry time is shorter than the original Gorilla glue.
Nov 11, 2017, 09:19 PM
I second gorilla glue. Messy if you use too much but quite strong. I found the original stronger for metal to foam bonding but both white and original work very well on foam to foam. I have used weldbond on wood to foam and foam to foam with great success but cure time is longer. Hot glue is great as well.
Nov 11, 2017, 09:54 PM
Registurd User
Once you use Foam Tac you'll never use another glue.
Nov 11, 2017, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Flynow
Once you use Foam Tac you'll never use another glue.
Foam Tac only works good for attaching VG's .
Nov 11, 2017, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Foam Tac only works good for attaching VG's .
Whats a vg?
Nov 11, 2017, 11:07 PM
mutski
Gorilla Glue is my choice for that kind of repair. It fills in voids nicesly, but may foam out of the cracks and harden. You can tape over the outside cracks and punch little holes with a tac to release the expanding foam in manageable bits. Or watch as it cures and wipe away the excess or flatten with a wet finger.

CA is good if its a clean break with no voids. 5-minute epoxy also works. It all depends on the situation.I use all three when building.
Nov 11, 2017, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantaloupeman
Whats a vg?
That stands for Vortex Generator.
My comment was just a silly thing between Hugo & Myself.
Had nothing to do with Foam Tac.

Foam Tac is good & I do use it at times.
I use several different glues, depending on what I'm building or repairing.
For repairs, especially like the one you're doing, I would use Gorilla glue, but that's because I've used it a lot, so it's my "go to" glue.
I'm always open to using new & different glues that I haven't used before.
Some have worked out good for me, while others, not so much.

Actually the correct name is adhesives.
Years ago, I was corrected a couple of times, during a product demonstration put on by well known company.
He took offense to my calling their adhesives, glue. lol
Last edited by Clive66; Nov 11, 2017 at 11:34 PM.
Nov 11, 2017, 11:34 PM
Quote:
That stands for Vortex Generator.
My comment was just a silly thing between Hugo & Myself.
Had nothing to do with Foam Tac.

Foam Tac is good & I do use it at times.
I use several different glues, depending on what I'm building or repairing.
For repairs, especially like the one you're doing, I would use Gorilla glue, but that's because I've used it a lot, so it's my "go to" glue.
I'm always open to using new & different glues that I haven't used before.
Some have worked out good for me, while others, not so much.
Very cool. Thank you so much!